Why is there so much hating on the right on this website?

Page 8 of 16 [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jul 2022, 4:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
ilovepalmtrees wrote:
The right generally opposes universal healthcare, higher salaries for teachers, legalizing marijuana, they just overturned the right to have an abortion, they ban books in schools that talk about race and gender identity, they opposed gay marriage, they separated children from their families at the border, they promote their bogus claim of election fraud and think it's OK to storm the capitol and overturn our democracy.

Do you identify as Right?

I've heard these descriptions ^ but they're usually given by the media or by Left wingers.

I was hoping that a Right-leaning member of WP could run through topics like this and explain how their views differ from what they perceive to be Left views.

Your list may be correct. I don't know if that's the Republican platform or if all Right-wing people necessarily believe it all. I'm not American but I've voted for a lot of parties in my life without buying into their entire platform. It seems to me most people have some views which are considered right, left, centrist, or "other" regardless of how they vote. For example I doubt that all Right members of WP believe it was OK to storm the capital, or that they all like Trump as president. Nor do I think any of our Right members overturned RvW, because I don't believe any of us work for SCOTUS.

I'm not defending Right if it really does involve hate, bigotry, and intolerance, but I'd rather hear it defined by people who actually claim to be Right.

Calling all right-identifying WP members to respond:

No I do not identify as right. This is what they think.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 4:41 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
MaxE wrote:

BTW for @IsabellaLinton and any other non-Americans: Access to disability support in the US doesn't increase or decrease as a direct function of which party is in power. The difference is that Democrats are more likely to sponsor legislation that expands the scope of such benefits. However existing benefits continue, by and large. Cutting off peoples' benefits doesn't get one re-elected. I am certain the same is true on most Western countries.

Thanks Max.
That's kind of what I thought.

I'd still like to hear from Right members:

- How do you feel about disability rights and benefits?
- Equal rights for men, women, and LGBTQ?
- Healthcare

etc.

I know that all Right members may not feel the same way as each other.

I just thought it would be better to hear it from Right members than to speculate and presume.

I’m not on the Right but my family and neighborhood is.

They are mostly fine with disability rights and benefits as they are. They think that if it were easier more people would “cheat the system.” They also think that if the money for SSI or SSDI were raised to a living wage more people would try to “cheat the system.” They worry about taxes going up and work ethic going down.

They think that they support equal rights but they are against abortion and gay marriage. Their stances here are based on their religious beliefs, which, on these specific issues, is not uncommon for the Right.

They do not want universal healthcare because it would raise taxes and they think that we would be in danger of becoming a communist country. When I try to point out other countries who have successfully implemented universal healthcare, they look for flaws in said countries. For example, according to them, there are such long waits to get necessary medical care in the UK that it’s a wonder any of you are alive. :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 4:45 pm

So, they'd rather have a child die because the parents can't afford a life-saving operation? I never quite understand that one, myself.

I know just as many left-voting people who don't want social programs expanded because of the hit on taxpayers. The taxes here are outrageous as they are, and everyone's dealing with financial problems because of Covid / recession / cost of living.

My daughter and I both get benefits but I worked 30 years to pay into mine.
I wish more people could claim disability benefits and that it wasn't so difficult.
I hate that $2000 limit they have in USA.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:03 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
So, they'd rather have a child die because the parents can't afford a life-saving operation? I never quite understand that one, myself.

I know just as many left-voting people who don't want social programs expanded because of the hit on taxpayers. The taxes here are outrageous as they are, and everyone's dealing with financial problems because of Covid / recession / cost of living.

My daughter and I both get benefits but I worked 30 years to pay into mine.
I wish more people could claim disability benefits and that it wasn't so difficult.
I hate that $2000 limit they have in USA.

Most Left-voting people I know would advocate for expanded social programs, perhaps less right now than they normally would.

It’s one of the things that divides the Right and Left the most.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:14 pm

I don't know enough about economics to weigh in on anything to do with finance.
Of course I support full funding for just about any social program imaginable.
A Universal Basic Income sounds good to me, but I know there are studies showing it won't work.

I've seen quite a few Right-voters on here who are on benefits and can't / don't work because of ASD.
It's just confusing to me when I try to understand what their differences are ideologically.
I'd hope everyone believes in human rights and equality.

I wish more ASD people would get actively involved in politics wherever they live.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:31 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
MaxE wrote:

BTW for @IsabellaLinton and any other non-Americans: Access to disability support in the US doesn't increase or decrease as a direct function of which party is in power. The difference is that Democrats are more likely to sponsor legislation that expands the scope of such benefits. However existing benefits continue, by and large. Cutting off peoples' benefits doesn't get one re-elected. I am certain the same is true on most Western countries.

Thanks Max.

- Healthcare

etc.

I just thought it would be better to hear it from Right members than to speculate and presume.

They are mostly fine with disability rights and benefits as they are. They think that if it were easier more people would “cheat the system.” They also think that if the money for SSI or SSDI were raised to a living wage more people would try to “cheat the system.” They worry about taxes going up and work ethic going down.

They think that they support equal rights but they are against abortion and gay marriage. Their stances here are based on their religious beliefs, which, on these specific issues, is not uncommon for the Right.

They do not want universal healthcare because it would raise taxes and they think that we would be in danger of becoming a communist country. When I try to point out other countries who have successfully implemented universal healthcare, they look for flaws in said countries. For example, according to them, there are such long waits to get necessary medical care in the UK that it’s a wonder any of you are alive. :lol:

They don't realize that those countries also have private Healthcare? They can go to a private doctor but they won't see a high medical bill.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 5:35 pm

Where I live, all medical doctors are free.
Some procedures like elective cosmetic surgery cost money, but that's about it.

We can opt to go to USA and be covered on "free" insurance if the wait is shorter.
I was supposed to have surgery in St. Louis Missouri for free.
The problem is that it was a six week recovery and I'd have to pay for hotel after discharge.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:09 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Thanks Max.

- Healthcare

etc.

They don't realize that those countries also have private Healthcare? They can go to a private doctor but they won't see a high medical bill.

They think that to get private healthcare in a country that has public welfare would be massively expensive, not that this particular topic comes up that often.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't know enough about economics to weigh in on anything to do with finance.
Of course I support full funding for just about any social program imaginable.
A Universal Basic Income sounds good to me, but I know there are studies showing it won't work.

I've seen quite a few Right-voters on here who are on benefits and can't / don't work because of ASD.
It's just confusing to me when I try to understand what their differences are ideologically.
I'd hope everyone believes in human rights and equality.

I wish more ASD people would get actively involved in politics wherever they live.

They probably focus less on the economic side of things and spend more time thinking about other Right-wing issues.

It gets complicated.

Many people are not informed about what all their side is for and don’t care too much, either. It’s pretty tribal. If they are always right, they don’t have to worry too much about being wrong (that, often, reflects allegiance to political parties).

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 04 Jul 2022, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:14 pm

I don't even know what a "private" doctor is.
I know rich people might be able to jump the queue or whatever, but doctors aren't "private".

All I can think is that private hospital rooms cost more than public / shared rooms.
Most insurance puts you in private anyway if it's available.
I've only ever had private rooms.

With my mother in hospital I learned that all private rooms are now reserved for Infectious Disease / Covid.
That means unless they have empty Covid rooms, no one gets private rooms anyway.

She had private at first because they thought she was infectious.
To be honest, she likely was, even though they couldn't name the virus.
They moved her to a shared room when she was cleared by Infectious Disease.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:18 pm

League_Girl wrote:

In most of Canada that gets described as "two-tier healthcare" and is a political third-rail. Run on introducing it and you might as well not waste any money preparing for a victory celebration on election night, it's not going to be a relevant concern that night.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:21 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't even know what a "private" doctor is.
I know rich people might be able to jump the queue or whatever, but doctors aren't "private".

All I can think is that private hospital rooms cost more than public / shared rooms.
Most insurance puts you in private anyway if it's available.
I've only ever had private rooms.

With my mother in hospital I learned that all private rooms are now reserved for Infectious Disease / Covid.
That means unless they have empty Covid rooms, no one gets private rooms anyway.

She had private at first because they thought she was infectious.
To be honest, she likely was, even though they couldn't name the virus.
They moved her to a shared room when she was cleared by Infectious Disease.

My understanding is that they're assuming doctors who aren't funded by OHIP (or the equivalent) are also an option, but that's not the case in most of the country and is often very unpopular for a party to say they're considering.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:25 pm

I've heard of the concept, but I have no idea what a private doctor is in any province or territory.

I guess organisations like NHL teams have their own team doctor, but their qualifications are no different.

US teams have their own doctors too.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

In most of Canada that gets described as "two-tier healthcare" and is a political third-rail. Run on introducing it and you might as well not waste any money preparing for a victory celebration on election night, it's not going to be a relevant concern that night.

Exactly.

Any form of class hierarchy or systemic privilege with healthcare will end in disaster.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 6:30 pm

Private nursing care --- now that's another topic altogether.
Private nurses in your home cost a fortune and they aren't covered by provincial insurance.
Nurses aren't medical doctors, though.
Many people pay for additional private insurance to cover part of paramedical expenses.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 7:29 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

I'm definitely (and defiantly) on the Right. :D

Quote:

Yep, pretty much this in a nutshell.
I've actually known perfectly able slackers in real life who gamed the system to keep from having to make an honest living and it is infuriating. However, as much as Gestapo-like enforcement would be fun we'd end up throwing the baby out with the bathwater and we don't want that. Cheating is just one of the perils we have to live with in order to take care of those who actually need assistance.

Quote:

These are two really tough issues for a conservative holding Christian values to get past. I honestly don't know which is considered worse from a collective conservative perspective.
The greatest value of the recent Roe vs. Wade ruling was that it was a satisfying gut-punch to the left. Having said that, I see how it will become a problem in the states that have banned abortions. There will be illegal abortions and the crimes that always accompany any wide scale illegal enterprise. You can't just ban something that's been in place for so long and expect things to be all good. Use illicit drugs as one good example.

Quote:

A few things here I could elaborate on, but the conservative consensus you  have found is close enough as far as I can tell. The camel's nose is already too far under the tent.

League_Girl wrote:

Ones who lean on the right tend to be college graduates and they throw their own people under the bus and they wonder why they don't feel safe here?

Don't feel safe here as on WP?
What's there to fear? I've always been very open about my right wing political beliefs here to no ill effect. It may have ruffled the feathers of some others but never mine.