Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 6:46 pm

Behind a paywall
Amid unsettled times, Long Islanders reflect on patriotism this Fourth of July

Quote:
Destiny Ellis of Freeport said she usually celebrates the Fourth of July but isn’t feeling as “festive” this year.

The U.S. Supreme Court’s reversal of Roe v. Wade. Inflation. Fears of recession.

“I’m not feeling like America is the land of the free this year,” said Ellis, 30, who works for an inventory company.

For Kerri Dobbeck, 40, of Shirley, the July 4 holiday patriotism endures, and she looks forward to celebrating, politics notwithstanding.

“We need to appreciate the country that we live in and celebrate it. Without our forefathers, we wouldn’t be where we are today,” said Dobbeck, who plans to attend a barbecue with friends in Westhampton Beach as the country celebrates the 246th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

More than a dozen interviews with Long Islanders about patriotism and Independence Day — along with national surveys measuring patriotic spirit — paint a complicated picture of how Americans view their country on this most American of holidays.

A record-low 38% of those surveyed nationwide are “extremely” proud to be American, according to a Gallup Poll released Wednesday. Republicans are at a new low for extreme pride at 58%, as are independents at 34%, while Democrats are near a new low at 26%, based on the poll, which has been taken since 2001.

But another poll, by the Archbridge Institute, asks the question simply as a yes or no and shows that the overwhelming majority of U.S. adults — 76% — are proud to be American, a finding across nearly all demographic groups.

And there’s been no significant change over more than a decade in the number of Americans who plan to attend July Fourth parades, barbecues and fireworks celebrations, or even those who don't plan to celebrate, according to an annual poll by the National Retail Federation.

While patriotism may be lower than it’s been in generations, the rise and decline is cyclical, according to Bill Galston, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution who focuses on American political institutions.

He pointed to the run-up to the Civil War in the 1850s, periods of financial and agricultural crises of the 1880s and 1890s, and Vietnam and Watergate in the 1970s as examples of past times when some called patriotism into question.

“At the age of 76, I’ve seen a number of these what might be called patriotism cycles,” Galston said. He added: “This is not the first time that a bad patch in American history has led to a decline in what might be called patriotic confidence.”

Still, he said, “the patriotism numbers are quite high by international standards. There aren’t a whole lot of Americans who want to pull up stakes and move elsewhere, and relatively few do … So I would say there is still a foundation of patriotism in the United States, on which future leaders can build and which they have reasonable hopes of reviving.”

Andrew Langus of Westbury said the various issues troubling him and other Americans do not change his view of the July Fourth holiday.

“It's still the best country in the world to live in,” said Langus, a financial planner. “And we just are a divided country right now. And a lot of people have to start, I guess, thinking about coming together again.”

Why are we celebrating a Fourth of July independence when they’re taking our rights away from not only myself but also women as a whole in America? Now we’re celebrating independence, but it doesn’t really feel like we’re free,” said Corey Williams, 22, of Shirley.

Steven B. Smith — a political-science professor at Yale who wrote “Reclaiming Patriotism in an Age of Extremes,” published last year — said that patriotism at its best has been a commitment to certain shared ideals, even if the country has sometimes failed to live up to them.

“Patriotism is our common aspiration to live up to the principles of freedom and equality embedded in our founding documents,” such as the Declaration of Independence, Smith said.

By contrast with patriotism in other countries, “What made ours different is that we have aspirations not only to what we are but to what we think we ought to be, and it’s that tension between what we are and what we ought to be that is the motor force of the American patriotic spirit.”

Michael Galgano, an American history professor who lives in Farmingdale, said he remains confident that the United States will emerge from these divided times.

“Even though things are bad, this country has always weathered plenty of controversies before,” he said. “And I prefer to remain an optimist that we will surmount all these problems.”

Clay Routledge, vice president of research and director of the Human Flourishing Lab at the Archbridge Institute, said that while most people in the country are proud to be American, there is nevertheless a decline in patriotism on each side of the political spectrum.

“The trend lines are going down for both groups, and I personally think that it has to do with the antagonistic relationship in politics right now,” along with loss of faith in institutions.
Cynthia Black of Water Mill was walking her dog on Main Street in Southampton and wondered how each side of the political spectrum could find unity.

“I think they’re very far apart right now. I don’t know where the common ground is, or whether they will ever meet on common ground," Black said.

Galgano, the history professor, holds out hope.

“This country is very resilient, and so are its people,” he said. “They just have to have faith in themselves.”

Not usual PPR post, Personal feelings
For a period during the 70s in this blue state in the wake of Vietnam and Watergate public displays of patriotism were far less than now. When the national anthem played half of the crowd would just continue with the conversation they were having. At that time I was definitely patriotic not fanatic but I was able to separate what was going on from the ideals. When 9/11 happened I finally got to experience what my parents talked about the universal unifying that happened during WWII. And then we out of fear so willfully and easily gave up freedoms. Since then and especially since the rise of Trumpism patriotism seems like a celebration of past glories, resting on past laurels(Despite all the pointing out of the bad flaws in American history over the last few years there were great things that this country did accomplish). The main emotion the last few years is bitter disappointment that we pissed all that 9/11 "unity" away and continue to dig ourselves a deeper and deeper hole.

The above does not mean I am not mindful that writing what I just wrote could get me sent away in many countries, and that in many countries there would be no internet for me to b***h on, that I have things as an American that people in most other countries can only envy. While appreciative of these things it also adds to the bitter disappointment of seeing us wasting and destroying them.

I hear what the history professor said in the article all the time. It is true we have overcome much worse and came out the better for it. That is meant to and maybe should give me hope. Nope, I see it as dangerous complacency based on an assumption that what happened in the past is going to happen in the future.

No matter what I am an American, that is as much part of me as anything and nothing can change that.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 7:28 pm

A guy in the article says:

“It's still the best country in the world to live in.”

Ummm… Okay…

Don’t get me wrong; I’d rather live here than in many other places, but “the best?” Really?

This is my issue with patriotism. It promotes tribal behavior and attitudes. I prefer more of a worldview and consider myself an Earthling rather than an American.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 8:43 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
A guy in the article says:

This is my issue with patriotism. It promotes tribal behavior and attitudes. I prefer more of a worldview and consider myself an Earthling rather than an American.

I totally agree. Well said.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 11:42 am

A Ten Year Old Girl, Forced to Carry A Child to Term
In Her State Must Seek Help Somewhere Else for Health

Care For Women

AND GIRLS

AS OF
COURSE
LIFE GETS VERY MESSY

OUTSIDE OF BLACK AND WHITE
IDEOLOGIES OF STATE SUPPORTED CHURCH...

It's True, the Story Book Hero "JeSuS" Is often Identified

AS 'THE LION OF JUDAH;' IT'S ALSO TRUE LION'S

EAT CUBS OF
COMPETING

LIONS

AND EVEN FERAL
MALE CATS PROVIDE
"REPRODUCTIVE SERVICES
TO FEMALES" THAT ARE ONLY

PAIN AND NOT PLEASURE AT ALL

As Everything About Life Becomes Base
Survival With Little Room Left for 'Feral Male Cat/Lion Hugs'...

Of Course We are Neither Lions or Feral Cats, We Are Humans AT BEST

With the Potential to Even Love Others Unlike Us Who View the World
Very Different than Us, IF WE DEVELOP ENOUGH COGNITIVE EMPATHY

WITH AN AMPLE SERVING OF AFFECTIVE EMPATHY THAT 'NORMALLY' COMES WITH 'HUMAN' TRUE...

It's Not easy Being Any Kind of Cat, Big or Small Out in the Wild, No Matter How Big And Strong And
Free They may Seem to

Be By Human
Beings

Who
Are Not Them...

Yet Now in America
We Are Not Nearly in
Any So-called 'Righteous Christian
Tradition' to Point to the Abuses Against Women
in Muslim Countries And Forget About the Little

Ten Year-Old Girl Who is Forced to Follow a New

And Same Old Evil God's Rules That Dismiss That Little Girl even has a free soul and will of her own...

And i Do Mean LoVE iN Terms of Soul, Does She Deserve to Lose it All to the Hands of a Lesser God/Man;

For Her i Think
Not, Better
Put my

REAL SouL
Understands
Her REAL Soul Better
Than Some Faux God
With Big Teeth As Big

As A Great White Shark Who Only Consumes
Flesh of the Prey With No Concern for Soul; Nope,

i Allow No Fools, 'God' or Man to Reduce my Patriotism
For Being Free; However, i am not a little 10 Year-Old

Girl Who has
Had her Soul
Both Stolen
Away By Man and

Faux God That only
Makes Man More Evil
As Man Creates That God As Evil as HIM...

So What About Trump and All His Minions

And all THEIR GOD DAMNED LIES FOR REAL
AS LIE REPLACES 'GOD' FOR THEM CASUALLY NOW...

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO SAID IT, THE TRUTH IS THERE IS
A SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE FOR BOTH GOD AND TRUMP,
THE SAME 'PERSON'

BASICALLY

IN ONE WITH
NO ROOM IN
3 FOR A JeSuS AT ALL
WHO IS REAL AND FLESH AND
BLOOD LIVING AS THEM AT LEAST...

Or A Buddha Or Whoever Has Compassionate
Understanding Love For All Creatures Great and Small;

All Mountains Tall And Low As Without Valleys No Mountains for real...

It's True,

With No
Trump
And That Other

God; No Jesus, Buddha,
Lao Tzu, Krishna and the Such for Real...

No Day Without Night, No Dark Without Light

And All that Jazz; The Reality is DarK is LiGHT

And The Lion

Still Feasts

On Cubs No
Matter Who
Says it is Fair or Not...

At Least for me, All Things
Considered, Life is Still Beyond Belief GREAT!
At Least Beyond All the FOOLISH Religious Beliefs
i Grew Up with...

And this is

What Freedom

Means; Keeping
it No Matter What...

Yet True, Easier when you
are not a 10 Year-Old Little

Girl in Oklahoma These Days

Where They Used to Sing Fabulous Songs on
Broadway in 'the Same Days' they Were Forced to

Carry Children As Beasts of Burden then too...

Nah, It's Probably
Not A Great Idea
to Institute 'Sharia Law'
As A 'Christian Way of Life' Again in the United States Either...

Now It's Up to the Voters to Decide; One Patriotic Duty Wise to Use...

If Not,

All Will
Suffer the
Consequences,

Yet of Course Not Equally...

Bottom Lines, Life Ain't Fair;
Yet Why Make it more F in Difficult...

For Every Minute, THere is a Fool Born Who Will...

And It Doesn't Matter What Country One LiveS in,
Ignorance is
Part of Being

Human...

Ignorance;
What Harms,
Rapes, Maims,
And Kills All

Most

Through OUT

Human HiSToRY For Real...
Such A Pandemic it still Is...

All That Considered, Ain't
NuTHinG BreaKinG mY STRiDE for Freedom...

And Yes, Yes, Yes, REALLY So Easy For me to Say this
These Days Where Money Is Never an Issue for me,
Including Making Any more of that Filthy 'Mammon' Stuff...

Yawn, It Just Grows Like Mold in the Bank; i Have No use for it;

Yet of Course
my Wife is
Free to

Her
Opinion too, Hehe...

On the Other Hands, There are Lot
of Hot Cold Rocks in Space With No
Life No One is Crying a Tear Over...

Why Waste Heaven,

When It Really

Exists, NOW;

True, i am
Physically AND EMOTIONALLY
Responsible Enough NOT TO...

Other than that i'll Watch And Tale
'THeir StorY' As it Comes and GoeS AGAiN

Just Like Waves That Go Out and CoMe Again

A Story Now Never EndS AiN't Gonna Sweat ReaLiTY

Until i get
to the Military Gym...

Have a Nice Day, i Don't
Need A Flag or A Religion
Or Even a State to Prove Who i Am Now...

-Human

It's Always Saturday

in the Park and the

Fourth of July for me

Cause for Now At Least,
i WiLL iT And Love iT All FEARLESS FREE...

Just Imagine Now All the Creatures of Existence
Who've Never ever had one SECOND in Heaven like this...

i Surely Can and
WiLL As i've Been
'That Other Creature' too...

Eternally Now Then too As
Not So Well At all...

Yep what
Rhymes
With

Heaven
And Well
As Real too: Hell...

When 'the Church' Holds
Hands With State, Get Ready
For A Unique Place They Create
WHere Little Girls Exist in Hell FOR REAL...

A Place Only A God Man And Or Woman
Called DEViLiVeD FOR REAL Could Possibly Create ON EartH

STiLL NoW;

'Oh God' YUCK;

Where The Hell FOR REAL
And Heaven is 'George Burns'
Now When Ya Need 'Him' Most...

i'll Let Ya KNow When i Reach 100 or so... too...

Meanwhile, i Dance in SPiRiT Winds of A Summerstorm
RiSinG my Arms Wings Loving Thunderheads and Sun SaMe

oh 'God2'

SoaRinG
SPiRaLinG

Continuing

to Fly Free i AM

-me

And the
Milky Way SMiLinG

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick