Page 18 of 44 [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 44  Next

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 10:13 am

KitLily wrote:
babybird wrote:
Murihiku wrote:
^ He will be back ...

He'll be a backbencher.

8)

I doubt very much he'll be back. He's more likely to go to the states and become a celebrity there.

Gosh I hope he'll piss off to America. They can deal with him. He can run for President, OMG! :lol:

I suspect Murihiku was making a pun? I'm not sure.

TBH, I just assumed that Boris Johnson would want to continue serving as an MP, even after stepping down as prime minister. And since none of the candidates for Tory leader have indicated that they'll appoint Johnson into their cabinet, he'll end up being relegated to the backbenches.

Do you consider it more likely that he'll just straight up leave parliament altogether after stepping down as PM?

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 10:18 am

Murihiku wrote:
TBH, I just assumed that Boris Johnson would want to continue serving as an MP, even after stepping down as prime minister. And since none of the candidates for Tory leader have indicated that they'll appoint Johnson into their cabinet, he'll end up being relegated to the backbenches.

Do you consider it more likely that he'll just straight up leave parliament altogether after stepping down as PM?

I think he will flounce out of the door and not look back. He's that kind of flouncy, petulant person. He does not give a toss about serving the country or helping people. He only cares about showing off and having power and Prime Minister on his CV.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 10:35 am

Johnsons aim is to be a leader. There's no way he's gonna sit in the back benches nodding with the rest of them. He's all for the power and glory.

Anyway good riddance to him.

So it's down to the final two now anyway. Truss vs Sunak.

I was so wanting an all female final. Only cuz I'm a bit pervy that way :wink:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 10:51 am

babybird wrote:
I was so wanting an all female final. Only cuz I'm a bit pervy that way :wink:

If they were going for looks they got it wrong. Penny Mordaunt is much prettier than Liz Truss and would probably attract more voters! :lol: :lol:

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 11:47 am

KitLily wrote:
Murihiku wrote:

I think he will flounce out of the door and not look back. He's that kind of flouncy, petulant person. He does not give a toss about serving the country or helping people. He only cares about showing off and having power and Prime Minister on his CV.

I reckon he will be off asap (I wouldn't be surprised if he just quits as an MP shortly after September) and will be a part time journalist for the Evening Standard and part time after dinner circuit speaker for £££

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jul 2022, 12:07 pm

Yep, that seems likely.
These charlatans always fall upwards. :x

How long before he's sacked for lying, though? He has form.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 9:10 am

Luciana Berger and Iain Dale on telly this morning both very much suggesting some very juicy/scandalous stuff is going to come out on both of these candidates over the next 6 weeks

8O :lol:

#popcorn

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 9:56 am

Biscuitman wrote:
I reckon he will be off asap (I wouldn't be surprised if he just quits as an MP shortly after September) and will be a part time journalist for the Evening Standard and part time after dinner circuit speaker for £££

For sure. Imagine his speeches:

'When I was Prime Minister, I said to the Queen "wiffle woffle piffle poffle <fake Latin> <strange metaphors>"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Certain types of Americans would lap that up.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:01 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Luciana Berger and Iain Dale on telly this morning both very much suggesting some very juicy/scandalous stuff is going to come out on both of these candidates over the next 6 weeks

8O :lol:

#popcorn

Yikes! The mind boggles!

Liz Truss is really an android controlled by Russia. Rishi Sunak is a James Bond style megalomaniac plotting to destroy the world and his 12 houses are full of minions and nuclear bombs.

:lol: :lol:

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 11:51 am

Confirmation that the Govt are now forecasting our Brexit 'divorce bill' at £50 billion
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1550156669769900033

Here is one of the leading campaigners for Leaving the EU, and until last week one of those hoping to become PM, on national television telling the British public that no such thing exists
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/850110198752591872

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 12:46 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Confirmation that the Govt are now forecasting our Brexit 'divorce bill' at £50 billion
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1550156669769900033

Here is one of the leading campaigners for Leaving the EU, and until last week one of those hoping to become PM, on national television telling the British public that no such thing exists
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/850110198752591872

It is all smoke and mirrors isn't it. I know so many people who were fooled by these truth twisters.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 7:04 pm

Changes of leadership outside of a general election are interesting, as the parties sometimes go for the candidate they'd really like irrespective of whether they'd be vote-winners. It's an opportunity to temporarily get more extreme people into power than the electorate might otherwise tolerate, and force some legislation through.

With that in mind, Sunak seems like a natural shoe-in as he's an uber Tory - completely obsessed with favouring himself at everybody else's expense. That will appeal to the biggest party donors as he's one of their own. And as his policies will favour himself they'll also favour them. Which means in turn he'll be very receptive to their nest-feathering suggestions too.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 1:00 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
Changes of leadership outside of a general election are interesting, as the parties sometimes go for the candidate they'd really like irrespective of whether they'd be vote-winners. It's an opportunity to temporarily get more extreme people into power than the electorate might otherwise tolerate, and force some legislation through.

With that in mind, Sunak seems like a natural shoe-in as he's an uber Tory - completely obsessed with favouring himself at everybody else's expense. That will appeal to the biggest party donors as he's one of their own. And as his policies will favour himself they'll also favour them. Which means in turn he'll be very receptive to their nest-feathering suggestions too.

Yes have you noticed that the Tories have changed leaders without a general election since 2016 now? The back door way of staying in power: the leader resigns, the Tory party members (0.2% of the population) vote for a new one. Then, when the Tories are sure of themselves, they hold a general election to get confirmation. That is the wrong way round.

About Sunak- he would also be a favourable choice because he is a person of colour. The Tories will be able to say 'look at us. Look at how diverse and open minded we are.' But Sunak won't make them any more caring or benevolent to the general voting public, he's a token.

Having said that, maybe the Tory party members are more racist than I thought and will vote for Truss, the white candidate! :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Jul 2022, 6:50 am

Steve Bell's take -

Also John Crace on Truss -
Shapeshifter Liz Truss on a roll as version 3.0 hits Tory sweet spot

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 7:10 am

Cornflake wrote:

Oh I hope you're right!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2022, 4:05 am

Redd_Kross wrote:

the whole 'Boris backstabbing' claims are going down very badly with the membership and Sunak also turned the Party into one of high tax, which goes against their very principles

Recent poling suggests Truss will win the final vote quite easily. Something like 2/3 of the vote to her.

**Though its politics, there are always twists and turns**