Page 30 of 44 [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 44  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 9:18 am

babybird wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Beware though folks!

Jeremy Hunt stepping in as Chancellor is his way of getting to be Prime Minister. He's wanted this all along. He is FAR more dangerous than Liz Truss or any of the current government ministers! 8O

For sure. He's sharpening his knife with every word he says.

Yes, he's a shark in a pond of goldfish. He is more competent than the rest of them put together and finally he will get his way and be PM.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 9:27 am

As Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt saved our local hospital. I suspect it was more by accident than design.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 12:20 pm

KitLily wrote:
Funny that the King seems to be more on the side of the people than the government is!

Yes, the royals are often presented as good people who would put everything right if their hands weren't tied by Magna Carta. I saw a TV series which most people seemed to think was a myth-busting expose of the Windsors, and it did indeed say some embarrassing things about them, but they also repeatedly said that the royals were just trying to survive. Since the Windsors have never been in much danger of being killed, I suppose that by "survival" they meant "hanging onto their enormous wallets."

Actually I think Charlie just says "dear, oh dear" pretty much at random and the press misconstrued it. So it's incorrect and a distraction from the big picture, but I have to admit it I found it jolly funny.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 12:51 pm

babybird wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Beware though folks!

Jeremy Hunt stepping in as Chancellor is his way of getting to be Prime Minister. He's wanted this all along. He is FAR more dangerous than Liz Truss or any of the current government ministers! 8O

For sure. He's sharpening his knife with every word he says.

Here's his voting record:

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11859 ... rrey/votes

Though as a measure of his ideology, it may be obfuscated by party loyalty, issues of realpolitik and hidden self-serving motives. And it's not certain that his divided party will get behind him any more strongly than they've got behind Liz, so he might not get his way. I'd root for anybody who will reduce the risks of another Tory term and speed up their removal from office, although I'm not expecting that to turn the UK into a prosperous utopian paradise any time soon.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 3:47 pm

Hmm...... it appears Hunt is now Prime Minister in all but name:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/je ... 02928.html

Interestingly he's described as a centrist. :? Does that mean Liz was a leftie? I'm thinking about the difference between their last known intentions about public spending cuts, i.e. Liz said she wouldn't but apparently he will. The poor will be squeezed and the Tories now stand a small but palpable chance of another term in power, with Hunt at the helm. Dear oh dear. It's not a good time to be poor in the UK.

Can't we have Cameron back? He only had to quit because he was an anti-growth coalition Brexit denier (sorry, I mean remainer), but so was Hunt.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 4:02 pm

They're playing that one down on all the news channels

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 4:23 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if in some way the tories had this all planned from the start.

I mean why put Truss in as pm in the first place. The public could see she was never gonna be up to the job so surely the tory members could see that. It would make sense to put her in because she's easier than Sunak would have been to get rid of quickly so they could get Hunt in place swiftly.

They wouldn't have banked on her making such a f*****g mess of things though.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 9:47 pm

babybird wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if in some way the tories had this all planned from the start.

I mean why put Truss in as pm in the first place. The public could see she was never gonna be up to the job so surely the tory members could see that. It would make sense to put her in because she's easier than Sunak would have been to get rid of quickly so they could get Hunt in place swiftly.

They wouldn't have banked on her making such a f*****g mess of things though.

It makes sense to me, but then why didn't they just pick Hunt as PM in the first place? It would have given him a bit more time to make his "take from the poor and give to business" policies look like they might be working before an election has to be called.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 2:25 am

Yes that's the part that makes no sense

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 4:50 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Funny that the King seems to be more on the side of the people than the government is!

Yes, the royals are often presented as good people who would put everything right if their hands weren't tied by Magna Carta.

Actually I think Charlie just says "dear, oh dear" pretty much at random and the press misconstrued it. So it's incorrect and a distraction from the big picture, but I have to admit it I found it jolly funny.

I never got that idea about the royals. I always thought the government was meant to be more on our side, closer to the people, and the royals were just living their own privileged lives far away. It's ironic that now the royals seem to be on our side more than a crazy government out of control.

I thought when the king said 'Back again?' that was the snarky bit. He knew Liz Truss was coming to see him because they meet each week, so why did he sound surprised/bothered?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 4:55 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Hmm...... it appears Hunt is now Prime Minister in all but name:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/je ... 02928.html

Dear oh dear. It's not a good time to be poor in the UK.

Can't we have Cameron back? He only had to quit because he was an anti-growth coalition Brexit denier (sorry, I mean remainer), but so was Hunt.

So Liz is the Queen and Hunt is the Consort now! :lol: Behind the scenes, running the show.

I'd rather have Gordon Brown back. Or even Tony Blair or John Major. All were a lot more competent than anyone afterwards.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 4:57 am

babybird wrote:

I definitely agree, this is believable. What a mess we're in.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 10:19 am

KitLily wrote:
babybird wrote:

And now it seems Liz hasn't just knackered Britain, the damage threatens to spread to the whole world:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63221410
Look out, universe, you're next.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 10:24 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
KitLily wrote:
babybird wrote:

And now it seems Liz hasn't just knackered Britain, the damage threatens to spread to the whole world:

I read about some Europeans saying they used to think Britain was a calm, reliable country full of people who talked sense.

Well that was a long time ago...

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 10:46 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
KitLily wrote:
babybird wrote:

Typical BBC scaremongering.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 11:42 am

Trueno wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
KitLily wrote:
babybird wrote:

Typical BBC scaremongering.

Very probably, but it's good for a laugh.