Page 3 of 15 [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

itscomplicated
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Sep 2022, 2:21 pm

it makes them sound like a stepford wife . it makes them feel like a thing rather than a person . like a machine that reproduces

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 2:35 pm

itscomplicated wrote:
it makes them sound like a stepford wife . it makes them feel like a thing rather than a person . like a machine that reproduces

Mmhmm, and referring to cis-gendered males as men, or boys, or people with penises, or anything else that identifies the reproductive organs in their bodies reduces them to feeling like sperm donors.

Just kidding; that's also ridiculous.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Sep 2022, 3:35 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
- outright lying about how “easy” it is to get a GRC (it’s extremely hard!)

Unlike some of her other claims, this one should be easy to double-check.

Do you know of a good source on the current procedure for getting a Gender Recognition Certificate in the U.K.? So far I've found:

- This official U.K. government page about the paperwork that one would need to submit.

- This page on an activist site listing the legal requirements -- Do you know of a similar page on an official government site?

Indeed this doesn't look super-easy.

The .gov page details the requirement for two years of living as your desired gender here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-gender-recogni ... s-you-need

It can also be difficult to get a doctor to sign off on the process.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 3:41 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I hate to say “watch this very long video” but ContraPoint’s video is very good if you want a deeper engagement with what she says: https://youtube.com/watch?v=7gDKbT_l2us

I'm transcribing some of ContraPoint's more salient specific objections to statements by JK Rowling.

Regarding Rowling's tweet of Dec 19, 2019:

Quote:
Dress however you please.
Call yourself whatever you like.
Sleep with any consenting adult who'll have you.
Live your best life in peace and security.
But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real?
#IStandWithMaya #ThisIsNotADrill
7:57 AM Dec 19, 2019

Looks entirely reasonable at first glance, to people unfamiliar with the issues. ContraPoint replies as follows:

Quote:
"Sex is real " is a pretty dishonest summary of what Maya said in her discrimination complaint, namely:

"I believe that it is impossible to change sex or to lose your sex. Girls grow up to be women. Boys grow up to be men. No change of clothes or hairstyle, no plastic surgery, no accident or illness, no course of hormones, no force of will or social conditioning, no declaration can turn a female person into a male, or a male person into a female." Para 23

- If Joanne had said Maya had been fired for claiming that a person born male can never be a woman, and a person born female can never be a man, that would've been more accurate. But it would also sound contentious, and obviously anti-trans.

"Sex is real" is a euphemism designed to present Maya Forstater's transphobia as a simple statement of fact, basic common sense, which only crazy activists and ideologues would oppose.

Transphobes love to play this game where they pretend that trans people just don't understand basic biology, that's our problem!

As if I didn't start taking female hormones because I'm acutely aware that my body is not the same as a cis woman's body, that sex is real. [...] No trans person thinks it's possible to change chromosomal sex, and to pretend otherwise is to argue in bad faith. When we say that someone is a trans man or a trans woman we are talking about psychological and social identity.

So when transphobes say "Sex is real," they are not actually contradicting anything most trans people believe, except by implication.

When transphobes say "Sex is real," what they mean is that only chromosomal sex matters. They mean they don't believe in transgender identity, which they trivialize by calling it "dressing up," "fashion choices," "whatever you wanna call yourself."

When Joanne says, "Dress however you please," "call yourself whatever you like," she's belittling what it actually means to be trans, reducing it to a change of name and costume.

It's similar to the language of casual homophobes. For example, the homophobic equivalent of Joanne's tweet might read:

Quote:
Choose whatever lifestyle you want.
Indulge your sexual preferences with any consenting adult in the privacy of your own bedroom.
But force Christians out of their jobs for stating that marriage is between a man and a woman?
#IStandWithKimDavis

A penis and a sausage cannot make a baby. Checkmate the gays, it's just science.

Homophobes trivialize what it is to be gay. They refer to it as "sexual preferences" or "a lifestyle" or "what you do in the bedroom." We don't tell straight people to keep their lifestyle in the bedroom. (laughs)

[...]

Being gay is more than what you do in the bedroom. It's also who you love, it's part of who you are, part of your humanity, and that's something that stays with you outside of the bedroom. So to dismiss it as "sexual preferences" is homophobic.

Likewise, being trans is not a costume I take off at the end of the night. It's not a fashion choice. It's not a pet name some people call me. It's part of who I am as a person, you know? It's part of my humanity. And it's also the kind of body I have, a transsexual body.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 4:30 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
itscomplicated wrote:

Mmhmm, and referring to cis-gendered males as men, or boys, or people with penises, or anything else that identifies the reproductive organs in their bodies reduces them to feeling like sperm donors.

It seems ridiculous to you because, as a lifelong male, you've never had the experience of feeling like your body was being objectified by society as a whole -- at least not to anywhere near the extent that women/females have commonly experienced this.

I don't claim to know the best solution to this issue in terms of further language changes. Going back to older, trans-exclusionary terminology is probably not the best solution. But I think it's important to acknowledge the reasons why many women apparently feel triggered by some of the current terminology.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 09 Sep 2022, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 4:39 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
itscomplicated wrote:

It seems ridiculous to you because, as a lifelong male, you've never had the experience of feeling like your body was being objectified by society as a whole -- at least not to anywhere near the extent that women/females have commonly experienced this.

I don't claim to know the best solution to this issue in terms of further language changes. Going back to older, trans-exclusionary terminology is not the best solution. But I think it's important to acknowledge the reasons why many women apparently feel triggered by some of the current terminology.

Who are you to assume my experiences based on my gender identity?

As a gay man, we sexually objectify each other’s bodies all the time. And as a naturist that hangs out naked at the beach all the time I’m sure many others have sexually objectified my body. Oh well.

Anatomical labels for body parts seem like a very odd thing to be upset about.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 4:47 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
As a gay man, we sexually objectify each other’s bodies all the time.

Yes, but you can much more easily take a break from this sort of thing than (most) women can. It's not nearly as ubiquitous as the sexual objectification of women.

The ubiquitousness of the sexual objectification of women is what makes it so oppressive.

When gay men objectify each other, it's much more likely to be consensual.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 4:55 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
As a gay man, we sexually objectify each other’s bodies all the time.

Yes, but you can much more easily take a break from this sort of thing than (most) women can. It's not nearly as ubiquitous as the sexual objectification of women.

The ubiquitousness of the sexual objectification of women is what makes it so oppressive.

When gay men objectify each other, it's much more likely to be consensual.

It’s evolutionary. Without sexual objectification of women being built into heterosexual men, our species would not perpetuate.

More assumptions and judgements without lived experience as a gay man. It’s constant. We do it constantly, consciously and subconsciously. We’re almost all sexual perverts like that. It just comes with the territory.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:15 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

It’s evolutionary. Without sexual objectification of women being built into heterosexual men, our species would not perpetuate.

Apparently you don't even understand what I mean by objectification. Attraction is not the same thing as objectification. Objectification is a cultural phenomenon.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:20 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

Apparently you don't even understand what I mean by objectification. Attraction is not the same thing as objectification. Objectification is a cultural phenomenon.

Are there any cultures on earth where men don’t objectify women?

My guess is no, but there may be some where they don’t admit to it.

Have you considered that you don’t fully understand male attraction to females and that this is a component of it?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:30 pm

To goldfish21:

Our discussion seems to me to be derailing this thread.

Do I have your permission to begin a separate thread quoting some of your posts here? You have my permission to begin a separate new thread quoting my posts here, if you would prefer.

I'm neither a moderator nor the OP, but it seems to me preferable that this thread should get back to discussing J.K. Rowling and the reasons why she is perceived as transphobic.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 09 Sep 2022, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:31 pm

Do as you like, I’m not stoppin’ ya. 8)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:34 pm

Later. I need to go out on some errands now.

In the meantime, if anyone else wants to start the new thread, quoting me, that's okay with me too.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 6:08 pm

ContraPoints wrote:
"Sex is real " is a pretty dishonest summary of what Maya said in her discrimination complaint, namely:

"I believe that it is impossible to change sex or to lose your sex. Girls grow up to be women. Boys grow up to be men. No change of clothes or hairstyle, no plastic surgery, no accident or illness, no course of hormones, no force of will or social conditioning, no declaration can turn a female person into a male, or a male person into a female." Para 23

- If Joanne had said Maya had been fired for claiming that a person born male can never be a woman, and a person born female can never be a man, that would've been more accurate. But it would also sound contentious, and obviously anti-trans.

"Sex is real" is a euphemism designed to present Maya Forstater's transphobia as a simple statement of fact, basic common sense, which only crazy activists and ideologues would oppose.

Transphobes love to play this game where they pretend that trans people just don't understand basic biology, that's our problem!

As if I didn't start taking female hormones because I'm acutely aware that my body is not the same as a cis woman's body, that sex is real. [...] No trans person thinks it's possible to change chromosomal sex, and to pretend otherwise is to argue in bad faith. When we say that someone is a trans man or a trans woman we are talking about psychological and social identity.

So when transphobes say "Sex is real," they are not actually contradicting anything most trans people believe, except by implication.

When transphobes say "Sex is real," what they mean is that only chromosomal sex matters. They mean they don't believe in transgender identity, which they trivialize by calling it "dressing up," "fashion choices," "whatever you wanna call yourself."

When Joanne says, "Dress however you please," "call yourself whatever you like," she's belittling what it actually means to be trans, reducing it to a change of name and costume.

It's similar to the language of casual homophobes. For example, the homophobic equivalent of Joanne's tweet might read:

Quote:
Choose whatever lifestyle you want.
Indulge your sexual preferences with any consenting adult in the privacy of your own bedroom.
But force Christians out of their jobs for stating that marriage is between a man and a woman?
#IStandWithKimDavis

A penis and a sausage cannot make a baby. Checkmate the gays, it's just science.

Homophobes trivialize what it is to be gay. They refer to it as "sexual preferences" or "a lifestyle" or "what you do in the bedroom." We don't tell straight people to keep their lifestyle in the bedroom. (laughs)

[...]

Being gay is more than what you do in the bedroom. It's also who you love, it's part of who you are, part of your humanity, and that's something that stays with you outside of the bedroom. So to dismiss it as "sexual preferences" is homophobic.

Likewise, being trans is not a costume I take off at the end of the night. It's not a fashion choice. It's not a pet name some people call me. It's part of who I am as a person, you know? It's part of my humanity. And it's also the kind of body I have, a transsexual body.

I used to like Contra, but she's gone off the rails in recent years, she's also made unsubstantiated accusations against the journalist Jesse Singal, who'd previously positively profiled her for New York Magazine, in addition to being "canceled" herself for various imaginary faux pas against the trans community. Her whole take reads as maximally uncharitable, and even her contention about what Forestater actually said is nitpicky at best, as it's a truthful statement, if blunt.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 12:22 am

Follow up question; has anyone here actually read any of Rowling's mystery novels? I'm reading the first one, it's not bad, I wouldn't have guessed it was her by the writing style alone, nor have I detected anything remotely objectionable about it so far.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 12:31 am

I don't really keep up with Rowling because I never was a fan of Harry Potter, but even if she did say transphobic things I don't think that justifies the death threats she received on Twitter.

I'm not defending her, I'm just saying threatening to murder the woman over her unpopular personal opinions shows just how low Western Democracy has sunk in recent years.