New Age spirituality has become a cesspool of garbage

Page 3 of 18 [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 9:22 am

I don't feel it's "destroyed"-----it's all redeemable......

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 9:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't feel it's "destroyed"-----it's all redeemable......

It's feeling less redeemable to me with each passing month...

Or honestly maybe its just the internet making me feel that way? Most people I know outside the internet arent so bad but If one reads too much of the 'news' and the annoying right wing left wing red fish blue fish comments online you would think Americans were already slaughtering each other by the masses over Trump (which isn't quite true yet.) :?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 9:31 am

There's an obviously large cesspool of cargo-occultism which is almost a carbon copy of prosperity doctrine Christianity or belief in Santa-Christ where God is this big guy in the sky and if you don't have something and you want it you pray to him and he'll deliver it! (my view on that might not be quite as dim when it's a critical item for survival rather than a vanity or status symbol but it all gets rolled up together).

When I was in Hermetic orders starting almost a decade ago what I ran into is the imperial white light that turned everything to fluff with guard rails. IMHO this stuff really can't work well for self-development if it doesn't account for all aspects of reality, including the really challenging aspects like Darwinian game theory and multipolar traps that we wish we didn't have to deal with.

My take on where you're at - I think it's important to remember that there's a lot more to these questions than 'what social group do I want to be a part of?'. You can maybe take a pass on being a part of various movements or groups on that basis, ie. not fitting in, but I don't know that I'd stake reductive materialism vs otherwise on social factors. Your best guess or understanding of the ontology of the cosmos, what's real and what isn't, shouldn't be governed by whose disappointed you lately, it needs to be approached on first principles.

What I found a lot safer and more durable than white light Rosicrucian or Hermetic doctrine, even if I met lots of quite lovely people, is the neuroscientists, cognitive scientists, and philosophers who are reinvigorating things like absolute idealism and Russellian monism in very technical ways. I think both of these are promising models for giving pathways for the unexplainable - like stupidly strong synchronicity to the degree that apophenia can't begin to explain or people having NDE's and bringing back information about the physical world - from distances - that can't be explained other than that the cosmos isn't dead unconscious matter.

I don't know if it'll work for you but maybe take a shot at some of these discussions on Curt Jaimungal's Theories of Everything, or check them out on Lex Fridman or Louis Razo Bravo's podcasts (some of the people to look for would be Donald Hoffman, Bernardo Kastrup, Tom Campbell, Karl Friston, Michael Levin, John Vervaeke, Stephen Wolfram, Chris Langan, and Andres Gomez Emilsson). Another podcast worth checking out is metaRising / Waking Cosmos who has a similar blend of cognitive scientists and science-informed metaphysicians and philosophers.

What the above give me is a baseline frame of what I can expect of reality and the world around me.

I also look back at my early days with this stuff where I could be persuaded that my life could completely change if I took up serious spiritual practice (it gave me some benefits but clearly didn't change how dangerous the world was). I think the only reasons I was persuaded as such seemed to be just how lazy and sloppy people seemed to be with their thinking, their all-too-easy dismissals of things, ie. that arguments on these topics were all social pissing and dominance contests with little coherent thought, and I figured if I'd been pulled toward Neoplatonism for much of my life and the world was a tree of apes sh--ting on each other that it was just a bright gleaming gem hidden from consummate narcissists. Having spent the time that I did there I understand that it's a lot more complicated than that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 9:49 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
There's an obviously large cesspool of cargo-occultism which is almost a carbon copy of prosperity doctrine Christianity or belief in Santa-Christ where God is this big guy in the sky and if you don't have something and you want it you pray to him and he'll deliver it! (my view on that might not be quite as dim when it's a critical item for survival rather than a vanity or status symbol but it all gets rolled up together).

When I was in Hermetic orders starting almost a decade ago what I ran into is the imperial white light that turned everything to fluff with guard rails. IMHO this stuff really can't work well for self-development if it doesn't account for all aspects of reality, including the really challenging aspects like Darwinian game theory and multipolar traps that we wish we didn't have to deal with.

My take on where you're at - I think it's important to remember that there's a lot more to these questions than 'what social group do I want to be a part of?'. You can maybe take a pass on being a part of various movements or groups on that basis, ie. not fitting in, but I don't know that I'd stake reductive materialism vs otherwise on social factors. Your best guess or understanding of the ontology of the cosmos, what's real and what isn't, shouldn't be governed by whose disappointed you lately, it needs to be approached on first principles.

What I found a lot safer and more durable than white light Rosicrucian or Hermetic doctrine, even if I met lots of quite lovely people, is the neuroscientists, cognitive scientists, and philosophers who are reinvigorating things like absolute idealism and Russellian monism in very technical ways. I think both of these are promising models for giving pathways for the unexplainable - like stupidly strong synchronicity to the degree that apophenia can't begin to explain or people having NDE's and bringing back information about the physical world - from distances - that can't be explained other than that the cosmos isn't dead unconscious matter.

I don't know if it'll work for you but maybe take a shot at some of these discussions on Curt Jaimungal's Theories of Everything, or check them out on Lex Fridman or Louis Razo Bravo's podcasts (some of the people to look for would be Donald Hoffman, Bernardo Kastrup, Tom Campbell, Karl Friston, Michael Levin, John Vervaeke, Stephen Wolfram, Chris Langan, and Andres Gomez Emilsson). Another podcast worth checking out is metaRising / Waking Cosmos who has a similar blend of cognitive scientists and science-informed metaphysicians and philosophers.

What the above give me is a baseline frame of what I can expect of reality and the world around me.

I also look back at my early days with this stuff where I could be persuaded that my life could completely change if I took up serious spiritual practice (it gave me some benefits but clearly didn't change how dangerous the world was). I think the only reasons I was persuaded as such seemed to be just how lazy and sloppy people seemed to be with their thinking, their all-too-easy dismissals of things, ie. that arguments on these topics were all social pissing and dominance contests with little coherent thought, and I figured if I'd been pulled toward Neoplatonism for much of my life and the world was a tree of apes sh--ting on each other that it was just a bright gleaming gem hidden from consummate narcissists. Having spent the time that I did there I understand that it's a lot more complicated than that.

I guess a lot of it is very complicated... sometimes I wonder if it's too complex for me to ever truly grasp?

I guess the best way to start learning is to not pay attention to what Joe or Jill Internet says on places like Facebook or Reddit and to read from more reliable sources instead of googling everything.

The internet I don't thinn is really that reliable anymore. Too much misinformation out there these days. :|

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 10:20 am

The Internet is full of people with personal agendas. Many of which has nothing to do with universal truths.

I believe one can trust the people you actually meet in person more than people on the Internet.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 21 Nov 2022, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 10:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Internet is full of people with personal agendas. Many of which has nothing to do with universal truths.

Very true sadly...

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 11:04 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I've always heard that in my country during the Great Depression even with all the racism and segregation brought on by the Jim Crow laws Americans were a lot less selfish and mean-spiriterld than they are today. Relatives, neighbors, and communities came together to help each other out when there was pretty much no money available for anyone. They traded food that they grew themselves, opened their doors for people needing a place to sleep, gave rides, would fix each other's property up, etc.

Americans had a sense of community back then that has effectively been destroyed in recent times. We don't trust each other anymore and that is one of the things that is going to cause us to eventually collapse.

Same with Brits. I think until the 21st century, so that's thousands of years, Brits have mostly co-operated with each other because they had to. No one had money, lands or equipment apart from the 1% of rich people, so everyone else was basically a peasant and had to co-operate to survive. I think the 1980s started the decline but the 21st century has continued it.

Money has become the great god to be worshipped so everyone is chasing money and competing for money, not caring about other people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 11:07 am

You Brits had the Blitz-----that certainly bought you folks together, for sure!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 11:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I believe one can trust the people you actually meet in person more than people on the Internet.

So true, Kraftiekortie. I think a lot of internet people are paid to stir things up or just bots.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 11:12 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You Brits had the Blitz-----that certainly bought you folks together, for sure!

Yes...that was over 80 years ago. Most people who lived through the Blitz are dead now. I often wonder what historical people would think of the state of us these days...

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 11:14 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
You'd be surprised. I didn't think anyone would ever care that I wanted to work with Lilith as my personal deity considering that so many wiccans seem obsessed with her and transformed her from a Jewish Demon into a Goddess of Feminism. Then all of a sudden when I started asking on reddit about ways to work with Lilith I get verbally attacked by some woke witch accusing me of disrespecting the Jewish community with my cultural appropriation and that I needed to leave Lilith alone if I'm not Jewish.

After I basically told her to f**k off with her sanctimonious hypocrisy I decided that maybe all this about witchcraft and wicca really is just a load of pretentious crap...

And this aint the first time some b***h in the neopagan community made me feel very uncomfortable just because I reached out online to seek advice on this stuff. :roll:

Whatever. The entire world religions of Christianity and Islam can also be said to be "cultural appropriations" of Judaism.

In any case, do you know any neo-Pagans in-person? Or just online?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 11:14 am

The people who lived during the Blitz generation would probably think of at least some young people as entitled folks who were given everything in life, but never appreciated it.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 11:19 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
You'd be surprised. I didn't think anyone would ever care that I wanted to work with Lilith as my personal deity considering that so many wiccans seem obsessed with her and transformed her from a Jewish Demon into a Goddess of Feminism. Then all of a sudden when I started asking on reddit about ways to work with Lilith I get verbally attacked by some woke witch accusing me of disrespecting the Jewish community with my cultural appropriation and that I needed to leave Lilith alone if I'm not Jewish.

After I basically told her to f**k off with her sanctimonious hypocrisy I decided that maybe all this about witchcraft and wicca really is just a load of pretentious crap...

And this aint the first time some b***h in the neopagan community made me feel very uncomfortable just because I reached out online to seek advice on this stuff. :roll:

Whatever. The entire world religions of Christianity and Islam can also be said to be "cultural appropriations" of Judaism.

In any case, do you know any neo-Pagans in-person? Or just online?

Only online. I'm pretty much alone in my beliefs in my small town here in the Bible Belt....

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 11:22 am

KitLily wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I've always heard that in my country during the Great Depression even with all the racism and segregation brought on by the Jim Crow laws Americans were a lot less selfish and mean-spiriterld than they are today. Relatives, neighbors, and communities came together to help each other out when there was pretty much no money available for anyone. They traded food that they grew themselves, opened their doors for people needing a place to sleep, gave rides, would fix each other's property up, etc.

Americans had a sense of community back then that has effectively been destroyed in recent times. We don't trust each other anymore and that is one of the things that is going to cause us to eventually collapse.

Same with Brits. I think until the 21st century, so that's thousands of years, Brits have mostly co-operated with each other because they had to. No one had money, lands or equipment apart from the 1% of rich people, so everyone else was basically a peasant and had to co-operate to survive. I think the 1980s started the decline but the 21st century has continued it.

Money has become the great god to be worshipped so everyone is chasing money and competing for money, not caring about other people.

I know this is off topic but I think you might like this funny video by Honest Government Ads because you are from the UK and I'm sure you will agree with much of this. :lol:

https://youtu.be/qyt3Op2dTc0

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 11:23 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I'm afraid to touch things like yoga out of fear of getting harassed by the woke police for the unforgivable sin of 'cultural appropriation' and being labelled as another irredeemably racist evil white boy.

:|

Yoga was brought to the West by Hindus, e.g. Swami Vivekananda and Paramahansa Yogananda. It was not "appropriated."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 11:24 am

^You're the OP; you have the right to veer your thread "off-topic." :)

Frankly, I feel like diversions from the topic at hand often enhance the topic at hand.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 21 Nov 2022, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.