Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 11:08 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Josh68 wrote:
Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:
This coming from someone who believes in an "Invisible Friend". :mrgreen:

Atheists are just as faith-filled as theists, but at least theists know their own faith.

Not really. While some atheists hold a belief that there is no God, others, like myself, simply lack a belief in a higher power. It simply isn't a question I entertain. It has nothing to do with faith.

I suppose it depends on whether or not the atheist absolutely insists there are no deities.

Being a rational/logical (autistic) person, I naturally look for a rational/logical explanation.
Simples. 8)

No "Hocus Pokus" for me, thank you very much. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 11:19 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Religion is an emotion-based philosophy, not a rational one.
(If it soothes Mikah, I will add "In my considered OPINION".) :mrgreen:

It makes me wonder how many ppl bring life into this existence with a false premise. :scratch:

I think that's the kind of comment that does more harm than good. As you've already said you're not talking to Mikah, I don't see why you then refer to him. And what you say looks to me very much like an attempt to piss him off.

I think you missed my point.
Saying: "My considered OPINION"...
Means just that, an opinion, not blind dogma.
I hope Mikah appreciated the intent. 8)

Quote:
What is dogma and blind faith?
A dogma is a set of beliefs accepted on faith; that is, without rational justification or against rational evidence. A dogma is a matter of blind faith. If widely accepted, couldn't Objectivism harden into a dogma?

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... lind+dogma

You may not know me well.
I am a person who believes in the right for ppl to have their own opinion.
There is no reason why ppl can't believe in fantasies, as long as they respect the rights of others.
My philosophy can be encapsulated by: "To each their own." 8)

BTW, I didn't say I am not TALKING to Mikah, I said I am not debating the topic with him.
Mikah and I go way back.
I consider him a misguided friend. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 11:38 pm

Mikah wrote:

ToughDiamond wrote:
As you've already said you're not talking to Mikah, I don't see why you then refer to him. And what you say looks to me very much like an attempt to piss him off.

I wouldn't worry about, it's just banter. He only gets really annoyed with me in the Ukraine thread.

Indeed...
It is just banter...
ToughDiamond simply misread the situation. 8)

RE: The Ukrainian thread...
It is YOU who has bared his teeth, not me, you pootin apologist. <joke> :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 11:52 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:

Indeed, people do seem to keep being moral.

SOME ppl, but not someone like pootin.
Oh, wait, pootin is a theist! 8O :mrgreen:

How about we get back on topic?

Imagine being the Ukrainians who are being raped, tortured, deported, and/or murdered by the mafia leader of Russia.
Think about the Russian conscripts that are thrown into the meat grinder with the threat if they don't go, they will be shot by their own side...
All for a power-hungry dictator who has no respect for human life, only his self-aggrandisement.

Where it the justice?
Where is the humanity?

THIS is the REALITY of our life system...
THIS is an existence we were FORCED into, kicking and skreaming...
This nonsense MUST stop.
Holster your penises and let the suffering of humanity end... 8)

I thank you...
<Pepe steps off his soapbox>
<exit, stage left>

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 3:29 am

Pepe wrote:
Oh, wait, pootin is a theist! 8O :mrgreen:

Well, that would explain a lot. A lot of theists believe the world is evil and thus it is fine to destroy it, for the afterlife which they will find does not really exist and maybe some realize at the end and they think.but wait I wanted to experience things but my religion was all wrong and now I am just dying with none of the promised rewards...now I want to live no, no don't die on me 'bodddyyy i thought i could wait till heaven...*death rattle*.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 3:30 am

Pepe wrote:
Mikah wrote:

ToughDiamond wrote:
As you've already said you're not talking to Mikah, I don't see why you then refer to him. And what you say looks to me very much like an attempt to piss him off.

I wouldn't worry about, it's just banter. He only gets really annoyed with me in the Ukraine thread.

Indeed...
It is just banter...

It was an easy mistake to make, it looked much too weak to be humour.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 3:57 am

Minder wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
Minder wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
I think that most of us here are educated enough to not belive 100% what this or that holy book says. Personally I like the idea of a God in a metaphorical/philosophical way but I find myself unable to believe in a religion because of the mythological part of it. I really like Calvinism but I would be a hypocrite if I said I believe in Jesus as part of the holy trinity, or that he was born to a virgin mother and so on. Same with other religions. But to simply state that there is no God or spiritual order in the universe and that we are nothing more but biological machines is too nihilistic for me and therefore meaningless, in the sense that if one is a nihilist why continue living at all, why keep wanting the beautiful things in life, why keep being moral, why giving any significance to the emotions. I think that there is an order in the universe and also meaning and we are hardwired to it. We have evolved to become spiritual for a reason.

Why wouldn't you keep being moral in a nihilistic universe?

Because it doesn't make any difference. It's a 50/50, you can chose to be moral or you don't, it doesn't make any difference on the cosmic scale.

It could still make a difference to someone who's helped by doing good. That's a lot more important IMO.

I wouldn't really expect anything I do to make a difference in a cosmic scale.

What I mean is that morality has to be linked to the cosmos in order to be truly valid, instead of just being an arbitrary predisposition of some humans. Some people are inherently moral, others are not. What is the authority to decide which one is right or wrong. In a nihilistic amoral universe they are equally right or equally wrong or the question of right and wrong is irrelevant more precisely.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 5:11 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Mikah wrote:

ToughDiamond wrote:

Indeed...
It is just banter...

It was an easy mistake to make, it looked much too weak to be humour.

My interaction with Mikah is subtle. ;)
We have a luv/hate relationship, btw. :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 7:34 am

There’s zero subtlety in me. There is some diplomacy, though.

That’s part of my “disorder.”

It’s garbage to preclude yourself from having kids because you are autistic. That’s my unsubtle opinion.

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Feb 2023, 11:12 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
Minder wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
Minder wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
I think that most of us here are educated enough to not belive 100% what this or that holy book says. Personally I like the idea of a God in a metaphorical/philosophical way but I find myself unable to believe in a religion because of the mythological part of it. I really like Calvinism but I would be a hypocrite if I said I believe in Jesus as part of the holy trinity, or that he was born to a virgin mother and so on. Same with other religions. But to simply state that there is no God or spiritual order in the universe and that we are nothing more but biological machines is too nihilistic for me and therefore meaningless, in the sense that if one is a nihilist why continue living at all, why keep wanting the beautiful things in life, why keep being moral, why giving any significance to the emotions. I think that there is an order in the universe and also meaning and we are hardwired to it. We have evolved to become spiritual for a reason.

Why wouldn't you keep being moral in a nihilistic universe?

Because it doesn't make any difference. It's a 50/50, you can chose to be moral or you don't, it doesn't make any difference on the cosmic scale.

It could still make a difference to someone who's helped by doing good. That's a lot more important IMO.

I wouldn't really expect anything I do to make a difference in a cosmic scale.

What I mean is that morality has to be linked to the cosmos in order to be truly valid, instead of just being an arbitrary predisposition of some humans. Some people are inherently moral, others are not. What is the authority to decide which one is right or wrong. In a nihilistic amoral universe they are equally right or equally wrong or the question of right and wrong is irrelevant more precisely.

This is true, but it seems like overthinking to me. Helping people generally is a satisfying thing to do, and it typically doesn't cause any harm (physical, mental, social). That's all the justification that I need.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 12:15 pm

Dengashinobi wrote:

I think it can be very hard to let go of the hope that there's some omniscient being out there who can tell us what to do. But even if there is, it doesn't seem to be talking to us. We're on our own with decisions about morality, at least until we're dead and then it's too late to turn back the clock. Luckily, most people are fairly harmless and a lot of people are willing to help others. We also have the utilitarian moral touchstone of maximum happiness for the maximum number of people, and the Wiccan Rede of "do what you will, harm no one." That seems to cover the basics, and although it's not perfect (it's hard to know whether some things do more harm than good or vice versa), if the solution to a moral dilemma is that unclear, then it's perhaps somewhat likely that getting it wrong won't do a lot of damage. Sure, there are exceptions where we can't predict the outcome of our behaviour and can make the wrong call and thus do enormous damage, but I think that's more a problem of unavoidable ignorance than of morality. It can mean a lot more hard work to work these things out for ourselves rather than defer to an authority, but I think that in many instances moral decisions are dead easy. When they're not, we just have to give it our best shot and hope it works out well.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 12:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There’s zero subtlety in me. There is some diplomacy, though.

That’s part of my “disorder.”

It’s garbage to preclude yourself from having kids because you are autistic. That’s my unsubtle opinion.

Is anyone suggesting this or are you simply making a point?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 9:52 am

This has gone a little off topic, but its still interesting. I have something to add on the subject of a faith-based afterlife vs. oblivion.

I have no faith and no expectation of an afterlife. The simple reasoning behind that is that, so far as I'm aware, my consciousness didn't exist before I coalesced into this composition of matter and energy pulses, why should it exist once after it has decomposed?

But this raises a problem. I don't think the human brain is capable of comprehending 'oblivion'. The brain perceives the world through physical input. How can something that functions in that way understand oblivion?

I can't imagine the past, the time before my birth, without putting myself in it. I am, at the very least, a point of observation in that imagined past. So I can't imagine myself not being there. I can't see or touch or hear anything that anyone else has seen, touched or heard. If I'm imagining a history in these terms, which are the only terms my brain can understand, I have to put myself in that history. Don't I?

And I think the same is true of any state after death. I can't imagine these states, oblivion included, without projecting myself and my senses into that state. At which point I cease to be oblivious.

So 'oblivion' to me describes a state that I cannot physically imagine with the equipment I've been given. I actually think this is the root, this simple inadequacy in the human brain, to why human beings are compelled to create afterlife myths for themselves.

And I include 'oblivion' as an afterlife myth. I'm not sure it's any more rational, or any different, to heaven or hell or whatever you want to imagine happens after death.

The best argument I've heard for an afterlife is the observation that the universe contains the same amount of matter and energy now as it did when it was born. Nothing is created or destroyed. Why would consciousness be different? Of course that doesn't preclude consciousness being a collection of 'consciousness atoms' that can disperse and reconfigure in another person creating a different consciousness.

It would explain why people are getting stupider as the population increases if there were a finite amount of consciousness to go around...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 10:46 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I have no faith and no expectation of an afterlife. .

Your avatar suggests differently. 8O :mrgreen: