Elon Musk promotes free speech...then did THIS! Shocking.

Page 9 of 9 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 2:40 pm

League_Girl wrote:
No one ever said WP was a free speech site. There is no such thing as freedom of speech at places unless you go to I2. But you will never be free from consequences when you have freedom of speech for real.

I know. And I agree.

There is a time/place for true free speech, and I do think that is something that is protected in the public sphere. I do NOT believe that anyone has the right to step on your property and force whatever they believe down your throat.

League_Girl wrote:
Also he is banning people who post left wing stuff and criticize what he is doing. This shows how fragile he is. He even banned someone for knowing what plane he flew and where he went because they tracked it on a website that shows flights and where they are going.

Well...I can't say anything to that. But broadcasting people's movement like that is a little creepy.

League_Girl wrote:
Meanwhile on this forum, you only get in trouble for posting racist and nazi s**t and homophobia and anti senitism and of course when you criticize republicans and conservatives or call someone out on their racism. They protect the other side as well and their feelings. f**k human rights. To fight for human rights, you have to call out the other side that is causing harm. At least on reddit we can do this other stuff and we don't have to be nice about it if someone is racist or a misogynist. They're not going to change their minds anyway so no point in being nice about it when calling them out by disagreeing with them and telling them why you disagree with their view. But here, it's breaking a rule either way no matter how nice you are about it.

But on WP, that's something I can grudgingly understand. I have my own theories about that I've already written about ad nauseam. But here there's an overwhelming sense of victimhood that can to some extent be justified. I remember a former WP member who constantly bemoaned being victimized by rednecks and blacks as the reason he couldn't find a girlfriend. And no matter how much I'd tried to reason with him that he could either leave or that he should give redneck girls a chance, I think all I ended up doing was making him feel worse. Things are different in WP because dealing with things among autistics can become more sensitive than elsewhere. It's important to respect that, and something I'm prone to forgetting. People on reddit have thicker skin.

I'm just not clever enough to post on reddit. I lack that gift. I enjoy reading reddit, though. I've found a lot of information about things I'm interested in, and the reddit community is most helpful.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 2:51 pm

Quote:
But on WP, that's something I can grudgingly understand. I have my own theories about that I've already written about ad nauseam. But here there's an overwhelming sense of victimhood that can to some extent be justified. I remember a former WP member who constantly bemoaned being victimized by rednecks and blacks as the reason he couldn't find a girlfriend. And no matter how much I'd tried to reason with him that he could either leave or that he should give redneck girls a chance, I think all I ended up doing was making him feel worse. Things are different in WP because dealing with things among autistics can become more sensitive than elsewhere. It's important to respect that, and something I'm prone to forgetting. People on reddit have thicker skin.

I'm just not clever enough to post on reddit. I lack that gift. I enjoy reading reddit, though. I've found a lot of information about things I'm interested in, and the reddit community is most helpful.

I am convinced many of these people left. Many of them went to an alternate forum. I think it's called right planet. They couldn't handle the talk about human right issues here and topics about racism, criticism about Trump, etc. They all felt attacked and thank god it's not against the site rules to criticize ideas and views and opinions. But many people still see those as attacks because those views are tied to them as a person. But to me these are all choices and it's no different than criticizing people not returning shopping carts. I have never seen anyone feel attacked about it. But still reporting these users because their feelings were hurt was still them trying to do censorship but meanwhile they would complain about censorship on this forum as well when they were guilty of it themselves. Reporting someone because your feelings got hurt with their opinion when it went against your view is you trying to do censorship as well and wasting the moderator's time. This is why we always go through so many mods and why they quit.

Guess what I have done with other users here when they hurt my feelings, I ignore them, I do not talk to them because arguing with them is pointless and a waste of my time. Unless it becomes obvious they are trying to bait me and provoke me because I am not speaking to them, then that is when I do report them to the mod because that behavior does go against WP rules. Both these users have left this site that tried it with me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 3:22 pm

Regarding what people say on your property--I mean, PHYSICALLY at your house. But platforms like Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc. are someone's property, so it's "their house" in a sense. I support the right of everyone to say whatever they have to say. But as I've said before, NOBODY can be forced to share their microphone if they disagree with what's being said with it. There'd been some talk about making Facebook a public utility because of how many people depend on Facebook and how there aren't any other platforms like it. I don't think that would be a good thing to do. But you can create your own platform and control it any way you like. Donald Trump has Truth Social as a response to being deplatformed. Before Truth Social, there was Gab.

Gab did really well for a while. Gab ran into trouble because they'd been dependent on Amazon for web service. Amazon deplatformed Gab, so their owners raised money to rebuild Gab from the ground up. Parler hasn't proven quite as resilient, but word on the street is work is being done to revive it.

There is a real problem with Gab as a sort of nest of antisemitism and white supremacy. It's not that people shouldn't have the right to express whatever they want, EVEN IF it's something like that. It's just that racial hate is irrational. I find it difficult to comprehend how anyone would willingly give voice to things like that for the sake of "free speech" unless it's something they embraced themselves.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 3:48 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:

I am convinced many of these people left. Many of them went to an alternate forum. I think it's called right planet. They couldn't handle the talk about human right issues here and topics about racism, criticism about Trump, etc. They all felt attacked and thank god it's not against the site rules to criticize ideas and views and opinions. But many people still see those as attacks because those views are tied to them as a person. But to me these are all choices and it's no different than criticizing people not returning shopping carts. I have never seen anyone feel attacked about it. But still reporting these users because their feelings were hurt was still them trying to do censorship but meanwhile they would complain about censorship on this forum as well when they were guilty of it themselves. Reporting someone because your feelings got hurt with their opinion when it went against your view is you trying to do censorship as well and wasting the moderator's time. This is why we always go through so many mods and why they quit.

Guess what I have done with other users here when they hurt my feelings, I ignore them, I do not talk to them because arguing with them is pointless and a waste of my time. Unless it becomes obvious they are trying to bait me and provoke me because I am not speaking to them, then that is when I do report them to the mod because that behavior does go against WP rules. Both these users have left this site that tried it with me.

I mean...yeah, my views are more conservative-leaning, and I defo feel it's difficult to talk about conservative issues on WP the way they SHOULD be discussed. There are a few other conservatives or libertarians, though, and I enjoy reading their responses.

I'm one of those guilty of reporting a lot of things. For me, the worst part of WP was when others would report me for things when others on WP were saying far worse things than I did. And that just taught me that I need to speak out more when I feel I'm being attacked.

Most of the time I just let it go. I'm ignoring one person in particular at the moment because a history of issues I don't want to get caught up in again. The problem I've often had was being slow to recognize someone else's behavior as inappropriate or creepy. What got me in trouble was playing along with it. So when I recognized the same behavior somewhere else, I started reporting it. I dislike snitches and doing the same thing myself. But in this one instance I felt if I'd been called out for acting inappropriately (when other members did it and got away with it) and making others uncomfortable, I shouldn't have to feel like I had to tolerate creepy behavior towards me. I still don't think WP is friendly towards conservative views. I just think WP is less UN-friendly than it used to be.

You're right, though... I remember one or two radical feminists on here that, obviously, I never agreed with but I at least enjoyed the discussions. I might be wrong, but I got the impression that the inability to censor arguments against radical feminism and still be fair towards opposing opinions was a source of frustration for them and gave them impetus to leave. I don't go around picking on feminists just because. But by NOT having people I can spar with WP is a less interesting place than it used to be.

I don't know what the solution is. You can't have a good PPR discussion without some disagreement. But when people have strong counterarguments, rather than admit you might need to adjust your position or change your mind about something, it's easier to just leave.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 10:25 am

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his ... 6c3675c604

Quote:

On May 2, 1963, in Birmingham, Alabama, more than 1,000 Black school children march through the city in a demonstration against segregation. The goal of the non-violent demonstration, which became known as the "Children’s Crusade" and "Children’s March," was to provoke the city’s civic and business leaders to agree to desegregate.

Martin Luther King Jr., among the civil rights leaders who organized the protest, said: “We are definitely starting a stepped-up campaign to lay our grievances before the conscience of the community.”

Police arrested nearly 800 demonstrators, including a 6-year-old girl, mostly for parading without a permit. Teachers shouted encouragement to hymn-singing students as police made arrests. School buses took those arrested to jail.

“Several thousand curious white persons and Negroes watched from behind hastily set up police lines,” the Associated Press reported. “Firemen laid out high-pressure hoses in a two-block area as one large group of Negroes surged downtown. The hoses were not brought into play.”

The next day, the children marched again. But the Birmingham police response sparked national outrage. On orders from police chief “Bull” Conner, law enforcement officers doused peaceful demonstrators with water hoses and turned loose yapping dogs.

In Washington, U.S. attorney general Robert Kennedy said the “continued refusal to grant equal rights and opportunities to Negroes makes increasing turmoil inevitable.”

After meeting with civil rights leaders, Birmingham leaders eventually agreed to desegregate businesses and free all those who were jailed during the demonstrations.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 May 2023, 10:36 am

When I was much younger I had no idea that the US was every bit as bad as our apartheid SA in terms of how segregation not only existed but was harshly enforced.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 3:23 pm

Segregation varied across the country, but was harshest in the South.

I give Che Guevara credit for shaming us in the right direction, with his famous UN speech.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2023, 9:02 pm

https://youtu.be/Web007rzSOI

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 7:58 am

From Tucker

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 10:13 am

AngelRho wrote:
Democrats jumped ship and became Republican because the Democratic Party had taken a solid turn against individual rights and embraced collectivism...

Republicans used to be very progressive. For example, Warren G. Harding:

https://www.politico.com/story/2009/10/ ... 921-028512

Quote:

President Harding condemns lynching, Oct. 21, 1921

On this day in 1921, President Warren Harding delivered the first speech by a president condemning the lynching of blacks by Southerners. Harding spoke out against these illegal hangings — committed primarily by white supremacists — in Birmingham, Ala., amid increasing racism and racial violence throughout the Deep South.

Large population shifts in the wake of World War I had raised racial tensions throughout much of the country. As the 1920 Republican presidential nominee, Harding had advocated civil rights for blacks, despite evidence of wide opposition among white voters. At the time, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People reported that lynchings claimed the lives of, on average, two blacks every week.

In Birmingham, Harding voiced support for anti-lynching bills pending in Congress. Legislation seeking to curb the practice was initially sponsored in 1918 by Rep. Leonidas Dyer (R-Mo.); Sen. Charles Curtis (R-Kan.) sponsored a companion measure in the Senate. They called for $10,000 fines to be levied against any county where a lynching occurred, for the prosecution of negligent state and county officials in federal courts and for the lodging of federal murder charges against participants.

Although the House approved the bill in 1922, a phalanx of Southern Democrats mounted a successful filibuster against it in the Senate. Efforts to enact similar legislation languished on Capitol Hill until the 1930s, when Sens. Robert Wagner (D-N.Y.) and Edward Costigan (D-Colo.) took up the cause. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, however, refused to back their bill, fearing it would cost him Southern electoral support and jeopardize his 1936 reelection bid.

It took 42 more years for Congress to enact broad civil rights legislation that, among other provisions, protected blacks against officially sanctioned discrimination. In 2005, the Senate passed a resolution formally apologizing for its repeated failure to enact anti-lynching bills.

You may read President Harding's full speech here: https://voicesofdemocracy.umd.edu/warre ... eech-text/

He was lucky to get out of Birmingham alive.

At the time, as President Harding noted, Black voters (at least when not prevented from voting) were solidly Republican, while the vast majority of White Southern voters voted Democrat. This has switched, because, duh, racism.

AngelRho wrote:

Well, yeah…I mean, white collectivists considered blacks a underclass who couldn’t fend for themselves and required the civilizing effect of the slavery institution. So it was justified by saying whites and blacks are better together with whites being a master race and blacks being a slave race.

And you’re right, it’s not surprising in the least. Nobody is surprised by it. It’s not about that, anyway. There is cultural and political pressure to maintain this sense of victimhood and perpetuate a collective identity as an underclass...

...If I want to see CRT succeed in anything, it’s that black people will see through the facade of liberal do-gooders and recognize them as the problem. That will at least shed a light on the lies of CRT...The only thing white people can do to help black people as a people is LITERALLY nothing.

Some White people are so obsessed with seeing to it that Black people get literally nothing, that they are willing to give up things that would also benefit White people. Even poor White people would rather give up Medicaid than see any Black people get Medicaid.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 11:17 am

And, while many "Conservatives" are doing all they can to see to it that Black people get "LITERALLY nothing", overt racism by politicians these days is generally frowned upon. They have to be more coy about it. Just sprinkle some subtle hints. Except maybe in Tennessee

https://apnews.com/article/tennessee-la ... 16a7b5dade

"Conservatives" these days get their jollies by being openly hostile to people of varying sexual orientations.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/florida- ... de079b778f

It may be time to modify Lyndon Johnson's famous quote accordingly:

Quote:

If you can convince the lowest heterosexual cisgendered White Man that he's better than the best LGBTQ+ person, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

"Conservatives" need someone to look down on. With many Black people advancing socially and economically, LBGTQ+ persons make easy targets.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 5:08 pm

Another progressive Republican.
https://winrock.org/winthrop-rockefelle ... ghts-work/

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 5:24 pm

Teddy Roosevelt was another "woke" Republican

https://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5722/

Quote:

The difference between Mr. Wilson and myself is fundamental. The other day in a speech at Sioux Falls, Mr. Wilson stated his position when he said that the history of government, the history of liberty, was the history of the limitation of governmental power. This is true as an academic statement of history in the past. It is not true as a statement affecting the present. It is true of the history of medieval Europe. It is not true of the history of twentieth-century America.

In the days when all governmental power existed exclusively in the king or in the baronage and when the people had no shred of that power in their own hands, then it undoubtedly was true that the history of liberty was the history of the limitation of the governmental power of the outsiders who possessed that power. But today, the people have, actually or potentially, the entire governmental power. It is theirs to use and to exercise, if they choose to use and to exercise it. It offers the only adequate instrument with which they can work for the betterment, for the uplifting of the masses of our people.

The liberty of which Mr. Wilson speaks today means merely the liberty of some great trust magnate to do that which he is not entitled to do. It means merely the liberty of some factory owner to work haggard women over-hours for under-pay and himself to pocket the profits. It means the liberty of the factory owner to close his operatives into some crazy deathtrap on a top floor, where if fire starts, the slaughter is immense. It means the liberty of the big factory owner—who is conscienceless, and unscrupulous—to work his men and women under conditions which [inaudible] their lives like an [inaudible]. It means the liberty of even less conscientious factory owners to make their money out of the toil, the labor, of little children. Men of this stamp are the men whose liberty would be preserved by Mr. Wilson. Men of this stamp are the men whose liberty would be preserved by the limitation of governmental power.

We propose, on the contrary, to extend governmental power in order to secure the liberty of the wage workers, of the men and women who toil in industry, to save the liberty of the oppressed from the oppressor. Mr. Wilson stands for the liberty of the oppressor to oppress. We stand for the limitation of his liberty not to oppress those who are weaker than himself.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2023, 3:48 pm

https://www.vox.com/culture/23833377/el ... -_Jd4tF5KY

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 9:22 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo3zORUGCbM