Trump indictment - what does this mean for the US?

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 10:53 am

What does it mean?

One big collective happy dance causes earthquakes.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 2:09 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Hard to see many people who voted for Biden in 2020 turning around and saying “yeah actually having thought about it I now support Trump, that insurrection and endangering national security really endeared me to him”.

Agreed, but there could easily be changes in who is more motivated to go out and vote. If the right wingers keep getting more and more fanatical, while most other people just feel more and more overwhelmed to the point of paralysis, then Trump will win.

This is one of the reasons why Republicans like to make it harder for people to vote.

Possible, buuut, a news clip I listened to last night said that several months back or so it was 12% (I think, maybe it was 9%? but it was somewhere around there) of Americans that felt that violence was justifiable in order to put trump back in office. Now the figure stands at 4.4%. That's still 12 Million people, but it's less than half as many as thought that way in the previous poll. So, it seems there are fewer and fewer fanatics as time goes on and people realize what a dirtbag trumplestiltskin is. There may be some hardcore ones in that lessening number that actually do go out there and commit another terrorism or three in his name.. but there are fewer and fewer of them overall to worry about.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 2:23 pm

The ‘Lock Him Up’ Election

Quote:
On Thursday evening, Donald Trump officially began walking one of the most perilous tightropes in American political history.

After he broke the widely expected news of his federal indictment, Trump once again, and predictably, began railing against the Justice Department. He is now facing his most serious legal threat and clearly views this antagonistic posture as essential to his reelection effort, which, if successful, could effectively moot whatever happens in this prosecution come January 2025, including a conviction. This same posture, however, threatens to make both his legal situation and reelection prospects worse.

Already, Trump and some Republicans have sought to portray the indictment as part of a Democratic plot to “weaponize” the government against him, but the reality is that neither Joe Biden nor Attorney General Merrick Garland, who would have signed off on Special Counsel Jack Smith’s decision to bring charges, wanted to be in this position. On the campaign trial and following his election, Biden repeatedly indicated that he did not want to see his administration prosecute Trump. By all outward appearances, Garland was of the same disposition. As I reported a profile of the attorney general earlier this year, that came through even more clearly: Garland came into office hoping to avoid a direct confrontation with Trump and a historically unprecedented prosecution that could sharply divide an already fractured country.

Things clearly did not work out that way, and though there is much to learn about how we got to this point, the blame for this ought to be laid first and foremost at the feet of Trump. Whatever the merits of the prosecution — which will no doubt be intensely debated as we learn more — he brought it upon himself. He and his lawyers had multiple opportunities to resolve this mess and return the documents without prosecution, and they seemed to delight in blowing right past them at every opportunity. As a legal matter (at least with the benefit of hindsight), their handling of the situation was incredibly stupid.

In an ideal world, GOP primary voters would see right past all of this and nominate someone else as their standard-bearer for the 2024 election. That would at least eliminate the prospect of Trump coming back to power, which, first, would lead to him certainly either stopping the prosecution or even pardoning himself after a conviction. Second, it could yield an aggressive campaign of prosecutorial retribution from his Justice Department that would target officials at the DOJ and the FBI who have been involved in investigating and now prosecuting him.

A loss for Trump in the primary would not entirely forestall some of these consequences: If Biden ultimately loses to another Republican, that person may very well pardon Trump anyway.

Trump is walking a tightrope now, but so too is Biden, in his own way.

This prosecution, however, almost certainly will not be over by the time of the general election next fall. In ordinary circumstances, you would expect a complex, high-profile prosecution to take — from start to finish, including appeals — two to three years. Even if a trial manages to take place next year and Trump is convicted, there will undoubtedly be appeals, and Trump would likely be allowed to remain free while that process unfolds, perhaps even actively campaigning on how he should be reelected so that he can pardon himself and prosecute Biden for some reason or another.

As a practical matter, that means that the result of the presidential election will also control whether this prosecution reaches an orderly resolution. After the Manhattan charges were filed, Biden stayed far away from commenting on Trump’s case and he’s likely to do so in the near term over this indictment. But this will not be tenable so long as Trump is a candidate. As a result, the Biden campaign will have to defend this project and the underlying principles that they reflect, whether they like it or not, which will put them in the strange — and yes, again, unprecedented — position of having to support the prosecution of the sitting president’s most significant political rival, the very thing that Biden hoped to avoid upon entering office.

How significant this will all prove to be during campaign season is, of course, an open question. But for now, we are witnessing one of the most complex and consequential legal and political battles of our lifetimes — one with a shockingly wide spectrum of possibilities for how it all shakes out.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 3:35 pm

Apparently that district in Florida is known for speedy trials.. a "rocket docket," district. Maybe he'll be tried, convicted, sentenced to death, taken 'round back to a firing squad and that's the end of it.

As for Biden's re-election campaign, at least he can run as an Actual "Law & Order," president by having a DOJ that enforces American laws - even on wealthy caucasian ex-presidents.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 3:46 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Apparently that district in Florida is known for speedy trials.. a "rocket docket," district. Maybe he'll be tried, convicted, sentenced to death, taken 'round back to a firing squad and that's the end of it.

As for Biden's re-election campaign, at least he can run as an Actual "Law & Order," president by having a DOJ that enforces American laws - even on wealthy caucasian ex-presidents.

Yes, the appointment of that judge does scream the fix is in.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 3:54 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

cannon? Fixer for trump?

A legal commentator, Michael Polok, figures she'll either recuse herself Or the DOJ will petition to have her removed from the case as she's already shown her bias for trump.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 3:59 pm

Well I suppose the one unknown is a public backlash, e.g. I could see widespread strikes happening in reaction to Trump's re-election, especially as he is likely to lose the popular vote in a landslide.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 4:14 pm

MaxE wrote:
Well I suppose the one unknown is a public backlash, e.g. I could see widespread strikes happening in reaction to Trump's re-election, especially as he is likely to lose the popular vote in a landslide.

And Canada would start construction on a Southern border wall and America would pay for it! :D (Not enough Alaskans to worry about up North.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 8:49 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
MaxE wrote:

And Canada would start construction on a Southern border wall and America would pay for it! :D (Not enough Alaskans to worry about up North.)

Start building that wall ASAP. Is not the national meltdown right now enough reason?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 4:36 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Start building that wall ASAP. Is not the national meltdown right now enough reason?

Border length: 8,891 km (5,522.36 miles)

trump's border wall cost $20M USD/mile

That's $110,447,204,969 USD

Which is $147,164,428,414.98 CAD.. or $3847.44 for each Canadian to pay.. (38.25M ppl as of 2021)

I think maybe the best we can do is plant a privacy hedge and hope for the best.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 6:58 am

I do find it interesting that very little of the US-Canada border has any sort of physical barrier protecting it. Although it's never been legal to just walk across it, pre-911 there were situations in which populations on either side lived adjacent to each other, and within those communities people did casually go back and forth and this was tolerated so long as those people were known (caveat I don't have specific evidence to present but that's my impression).

Whereas, wall or no wall, every cm of the US-Mexico border has always had at least a fence delimiting it, AFAIK, so then we must ask ourselves, why the difference?

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 7:11 am

MaxE wrote:
Sort of an obvious topic, I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned it in PP&R.

Let's accept the premise this could mean that Trump would actually be in Federal Prison 17 months from now when the next General Election takes place. Everything I see on the Web seems to point to Trump as the strong favorite for winning that election (although I think he could lose the popular vote quite badly, but what does that matter anyway?).

So he becomes President and pardons himself, walks out of prison basking in the adulation of his supporters, and then? What sort of country will the US be going forward?

Whatever you may think of Trump's policies, the fact is that the US has always prided itself on being the sort of place where that sort of thing doesn't happen. I mean people being put in prison then rehabilitated and going on to head the government. Admittedly Nelson Mandela spent many years in prison, but the government that put him there was internationally condemned for practicing the exact opposite of democracy or at best being a gross violator of human rights. Whereas the US has always advertised itself as a "beacon of democracy" and apparently a lot of people outside the US buy into this, at least from what I've been told by some immigrants.

To put it bluntly, will the US soon be seen as a "banana republic" by most of the world? And how will this impact American influence? Will Russia, China, or India for that matter, care what side of any given international conflict the US takes?

Every time I see anyone refer to the US as a Banana Republic, I want to go kick their ass. They are showing their ignorance of what a Banana Republic is. The US is not, never has been, and never will be a Banana Republic.

A Banana Republic, by definition, is a country with one primary export on which the economy of that country depends very heavily and in which control of that export is in the hands of an outside company that has enormous influence on the running of the country.

As for Trump, it is highly unlikely that he will ever spend a day in prison. If convicted, he will probably just get home confinement. At worst, maybe a guarded compound on a military base. Then, if DeSantis wins the 2024 election, expect DeSantis to pardon Trump.

As for Trump winning in 2024, all he really does is doom the Republican Party chances in that year. People have already shown that they do not like Trump. If Trump wins the nomination, the Republican Party is making a huge mistake. It wouldn't be surprising that if Trump is the nominee, the Democrats will win the Presidency, the Senate, and the House as Trump drags everyone down with him.

Trump's problem is that he is completely devoid of just about every redeeming quality. He is terribly dishonest, has no integrity, has no loyalty to anyone but himself, and is not even a Conservative.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 7:20 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Hard to see many people who voted for Biden in 2020 turning around and saying “yeah actually having thought about it I now support Trump, that insurrection and endangering national security really endeared me to him”.

Always a chance of course but I think predictions of Trump being “heavily favoured” are well off-base.

Exactly.

When I was working for a high tech company (head of R&D) years ago, one thing that I learned was that when approaching venture capitalists for investment money, if they turned you down the first time, they want to see significant positive differences before they will ever look at you again. You don't even want to go to them and ask again when nothing has changed.

The voters are kind of like that after 2020. In 2020, they gave Trump a thumbs down. For most, something is going to have to change dramatically for the better to vote for Trump again. Some will hold their nose and vote for Trump only because they are voting against the Democrats.

If the Democrats could come up with a solid, moderate candidate, it would likely be a major landslide. Unfortunately, they just want progressives.

So what we end up with is radical versus radical. I am not going to vote for a radical. I voted third party in 2016 and 2020 and will vote third party again in 2024 if Trump is the Republican nominee.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 7:25 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I think that the judge is selected in a rotation -- nobody appointed her to be the judge in this case.

You can bet that everything she does is going to be closely scrutinized. She won't be able to step too far off of the straight and narrow. That is, there will be some unreviewable decisions that she could slant heavily in favor of Trump.

As for why they are in Florida instead of Washington, DC, is that Florida is the proper venue. If they had it in Washington, DC, instead, there would be a number of arguments Trump's lawyers could make about it being the wrong venue and delay the trial. Also, a conviction in Florida would be much more persuasive than a conviction in Washington, DC.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 7:32 am

MaxE wrote:
I do find it interesting that very little of the US-Canada border has any sort of physical barrier protecting it. Although it's never been legal to just walk across it, pre-911 there were situations in which populations on either side lived adjacent to each other, and within those communities people did casually go back and forth and this was tolerated so long as those people were known (caveat I don't have specific evidence to present but that's my impression).

Whereas, wall or no wall, every cm of the US-Mexico border has always had at least a fence delimiting it, AFAIK, so then we must ask ourselves, why the difference?

There is a town on the Canadian-US border, Stanstead, Quebec, and Derby Line, Vermont, in which the border runs through the town. The town library has a line through it for the border with a video camera on the line. I've heard of people visiting the library so that they can jump back and forth across the border in front of the camera.

There are a couple of other rather interesting places in or on the border.

One is the Northwest Angle in Minnesota. Unless the Lake of the Woods is frozen over thick enough to drive across, the only way to drive there from the rest of the Lower 48 is to enter Canada and then reenter at the Northwest Angle. The border crossing itself is unmanned. When driving through, either direction, you stop at a shack beside the road and go in to go through Customers. Depending on the direction of travel, you contact US or Canadian customs on a video link.

The other is Point Roberts in the state of Washington. Point Roberts isn't very large. To drive from Point Roberts to anywhere else in Washington, you have to go through the border at Point Roberts and again at, I think, Blaine, Washington or to a further crossing. They don't have enough of a school for all the kids in Point Roberts so for certain grades, the school buses cross the border twice in the morning and twice in the evening. After 9/11, security got tightened up so high that it was reportedly taking the school bus two or three hours to enter the US on each end. Also, I think that for many things like doctor's visits, dentist visits, and prescription drugs, you have to go through customs twice each way.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 8:11 am

kokopelli wrote:
MaxE wrote:

There is a town on the Canadian-US border, Stanstead, Quebec, and Derby Line, Vermont, in which the border runs through the town. The town library has a line through it for the border with a video camera on the line. I've heard of people visiting the library so that they can jump back and forth across the border in front of the camera.

There are a couple of other rather interesting places in or on the border.

One is the Northwest Angle in Minnesota. Unless the Lake of the Woods is frozen over thick enough to drive across, the only way to drive there from the rest of the Lower 48 is to enter Canada and then reenter at the Northwest Angle. The border crossing itself is unmanned. When driving through, either direction, you stop at a shack beside the road and go in to go through Customers. Depending on the direction of travel, you contact US or Canadian customs on a video link.

The other is Point Roberts in the state of Washington. Point Roberts isn't very large. To drive from Point Roberts to anywhere else in Washington, you have to go through the border at Point Roberts and again at, I think, Blaine, Washington or to a further crossing. They don't have enough of a school for all the kids in Point Roberts so for certain grades, the school buses cross the border twice in the morning and twice in the evening. After 9/11, security got tightened up so high that it was reportedly taking the school bus two or three hours to enter the US on each end. Also, I think that for many things like doctor's visits, dentist visits, and prescription drugs, you have to go through customs twice each way.

I should have qualified what I said regarding the US-Mexico border. I believe that in extremely rugged areas, there is no fence, although it's heavily patrolled. Not sure what the deal is where the border is formed by the Rio Bravo.