Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2023, 12:06 pm

It's gone nuts here in the UK:

I had to live in a two-bed flat with 20 other men' - student

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66941965

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2023, 12:34 pm

This sounds a lot like his fault.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Oct 2023, 1:14 pm

We need to build far more accommodation in London than we are.

Not sure if halls close to Imperial and UCL (and the other central universities) are sustainable but you could put a load up in Zones 3 and 4... if planning rules allowed for it. Also need plenty for those of us who aren't students.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2023, 5:06 pm

Student immigrants are numerous here, too. Google says Canada has 807,750 international students with more than 150,000 of them in Vancouver. It puts enormous strain on both student & regular rental housing. The wait lists for student housing on campus at UBC are something like 2-3 years. A <400sf ground floor studio apartment rents for $2200. Shared accommodations in a brick frat house are something like $1500/person (2 people to a room) and there are some pricey accommodations on campus, too.. like $4-5k+/month for a penthouse, $9k+/month for a townhome. There are some houses on campus renting out several rooms etc. Market condos built for sale, too. It's insanely expensive to live in a nice place on the UBC endowment lands - some of these places are worth like $30-40M+.

IF I were ever a student at UBC I'd likely commute daily from where I live now, which in no traffic is a 40 min drive. If I were on campus and too tired to drive I'd just sleep in my car I guess. Tuition costs at all schools are up, but the most expensive part of being a student is housing costs while not working. Mind you, with how little I've worked over the last year.. I Could be a part time student then shift gears to full time school and survive - thanks to cheap housing & frugality.

But yeah, bringing in 807,750 students definitely puts extra strain on housing stock.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2023, 6:21 am

People born abroad had lower home ownership rates than the UK born (47% vs 70%), and were more likely to be in the private rental sector.
More…
Recent migrants were almost three times as likely to be renters compared to other migrants. Migrants who had been in the UK for at least 20 years did not differ much from the UK-born population.
More…
UK-born and foreign-born people had similar levels of participation in social housing, on average (16% and 17%, respectively).
More…
Migrants and UK-born households living in privately rented homes in London spent more than a third of their net income on rent.
More…
An estimated 11% of households headed by non-EU born adults lived in overcrowded accommodation, especially in London (18%)
More…
There is some evidence that migration has increased average UK house prices.
More…

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/r ... in-the-uk/

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).