Page 6 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 6:23 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
elvenmage wrote:
Can you give me some proof of it's existence?

This isn't meant as a trick question or anything, it's just that i'd like to know why people actually beleive in a god.

Thanks. 8)

I can't.

Now give me a proof of his inexistence.

You can't.

So, I say we go on believing or not believing in whatever we please.

Have you ever heard of the burden of proof? I'm a believer my self, but just because something can't be disproved, doesn't mean that it exists.

The universe itself couldn't have been created out of nothing, and that's why I believe in God. An omnipotent being is superior to the natural laws and therefore the question of what created God is invalid.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 7:03 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
elvenmage wrote:

This isn't meant as a trick question or anything, it's just that i'd like to know why people actually beleive in a god.

Thanks. 8)

I can't.

You can't.

Have you ever heard of the burden of proof? I'm a believer my self, but just because something can't be disproved, doesn't mean that it exists.

The universe itself couldn't have been created out of nothing, and that's why I believe in God. An omnipotent being is superior to the natural laws and therefore the question of what created God is invalid.

I am just just that these discussions are worthless.

Just because something can't be disproved it doesn't mean it exists, and just because something can't be proved it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So, let's just keep walking and let everyone believe in whatever they want.

stevechoi
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2008, 1:54 am

Deus_ex_machina wrote:
stevechoi wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Everything has to have a beginning

so who created god, then? your model falls apart from the first point.

Blah blah blah

We can't cure "the common cold" because it evolves, much likes other diseases that are making a come back. And because it proves evolution the Bible is more or less disproved as a literal interpretation of "Gods Word" destroying your arguement with one mighty sentence.

Btw your understanding of Science is flawed, might want to upgrade your 19th century info. :D

Actually, evolution has yet to be proven, by a long shot. There is still a huge gap of missing links, not to mention many inconsistencies in bone structure in apes and humans. Like all of science, this is a theory. So the Bible is not "destroyed" by any means.

The Theory of Evolution proves nothing about anything. It's simply apes and humans, and bits and pieces of bone in between rocks and dust, with missing links everywhere and answers no where. You can argue humans used to be related to fish or birds if you wanted to. Bad example.

"The common cold" is just one of infinite examples of what we don't understand. The list is too long, and the common cold "evolving" is just a sorry excuse. It's the most common sickness in the world, and we can't fix it.

My point is, we cannot even comprehend the simplest of science, yet we try to reason with the universe and make theories on evolution and the creation of mankind. Who are we to theorize about the moon, when we haven't even seen the earth?

My point is that religion and science on are equal ground; neither can be proven. However, I choose to believe in something I can't see or prove, because it gives me faith and a strength that I can't obtain from this world.

Also, how is my understanding of science "flawed?" Is not Science based on theory, just like religion is based on faith? What's the difference in terms of logic?

Tell me where my understanding of science is flawed, I would like to know...and on what basis.

stevechoi
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2008, 2:00 am

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
elvenmage wrote:

Thanks. 8)

I can't.

You can't.

Well said. The physical laws we live by are limited, and we would never comprehend or be able to prove something that is superior to our natural laws. Proving God would only be possible if we were on the same level as him...and that's just not the case.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 10:37 am

stevechoi wrote:
Deus_ex_machina wrote:
stevechoi wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Everything has to have a beginning

so who created god, then? your model falls apart from the first point.

Blah blah blah

We can't cure "the common cold" because it evolves, much likes other diseases that are making a come back. And because it proves evolution the Bible is more or less disproved as a literal interpretation of "Gods Word" destroying your arguement with one mighty sentence.

Btw your understanding of Science is flawed, might want to upgrade your 19th century info. :D

Actually, evolution has yet to be proven, by a long shot. There is still a huge gap of missing links, not to mention many inconsistencies in bone structure in apes and humans. Like all of science, this is a theory. So the Bible is not "destroyed" by any means.

The Theory of Evolution proves nothing about anything. It's simply apes and humans, and bits and pieces of bone in between rocks and dust, with missing links everywhere and answers no where. You can argue humans used to be related to fish or birds if you wanted to. Bad example.

"The common cold" is just one of infinite examples of what we don't understand. The list is too long, and the common cold "evolving" is just a sorry excuse. It's the most common sickness in the world, and we can't fix it.

My point is, we cannot even comprehend the simplest of science, yet we try to reason with the universe and make theories on evolution and the creation of mankind. Who are we to theorize about the moon, when we haven't even seen the earth?

My point is that religion and science on are equal ground; neither can be proven. However, I choose to believe in something I can't see or prove, because it gives me faith and a strength that I can't obtain from this world.

Also, how is my understanding of science "flawed?" Is not Science based on theory, just like religion is based on faith? What's the difference in terms of logic?

Tell me where my understanding of science is flawed, I would like to know...and on what basis.

Did you read what I said or simply respond to it? I honestly tried finding the point where I implied that Evolution and Science are faultless, and couldn't find it. No worries, I'm just talking about your specific God.

And that adds nothing to anything, just mindless rhetoric.

No just one of many things you don't understand. Yeah that's right, mention the common cold when you ignore all the other diseases that have been fixed, or ignore the fact that there's immunisations for colds, or ignore the fact that viruses (As I said) evolve.

I know that it is your point, you made it clear several million times, and have so far refused to back it up with anything other than more arguements. How can I argue against an empty arguement?

Since when? Good for you, I really couldn't care less if you mentioned that you also believe that there's a monster under your bed that eats multiverses.

Is not Theory tested time after time through gruelling trials? Oh that's right you convientently left that part out, you tried to make it look like Science is all about looking at problems and just throwing around ideas, sorry I thought I was in a different conversation, Jesus ****ing Christ I'm so stupid.

Perhaps you should spend a few hours looking at a little website I've found to be very helpful for any Christians who can't seem to grasp the concept of a sensible arguement.

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 7:52 pm

Quote:

This is actually very false.

Just let me remind you all that evolution itself, does not disprove the existence of God, it sure would disprove the bible, but hey, it is not like we needed evolution for that, the bible is full of things that just didn't happen, at least not in the exact way the bible says so. But either way, there's a lot more evidence pointing to it than there's towards alternative theories or non-theories (creationism - ID) . Anyways, more info: http://www.talkorigins.org/

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 10:16 pm

I learned in Philosophy in Religion class, for every argument about the whether God exists

there in a counter argument. It is up to you whether you wish to believe in God. :roll:

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 12:03 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Quote:

This is actually very false.

Just let me remind you all that evolution itself, does not disprove the existence of God, it sure would disprove the bible, but hey, it is not like we needed evolution for that, the bible is full of things that just didn't happen, at least not in the exact way the bible says so. But either way, there's a lot more evidence pointing to it than there's towards alternative theories or non-theories (creationism - ID) . Anyways, more info: http://www.talkorigins.org/

Hey stop stealing the point that I was making and the link I was posting! :?

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 8:54 pm

marshall wrote:
Prayer to an omniscient omni-benevolent god doesn’t even make sense. If God already knows exactly what’s best for us what use is it to ask for his help? If God is all knowing and it is his will to help you he will help regardless of whether you ask.

It also doesn’t make any sense that an all knowing god would want us to worship him. I mean, he already knows that he is God and he can do whatever he wills. Why does he need us to tell him how wonderful he is? It all sounds so ridiculous from God's perspective.

Mankind decided at the beginning to reject God and therefore came under the juristdiction of the god of this world who is Satan.

Apart from the Jews, and untill recently, all men worshipped gods of one sort or another, only the Jews and then Jesus opened it up to the gentiles to worship the God of the Bible.

So he wants us to worship him to differanciate us from the worshippers of the other gods and those who worship themselves.

We then become his property whom he will allow to live in the world when his Kingdom comes and he takes back control of the world from the Devil

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Just because something can't be disproved it doesn't mean it exists, and just because something can't be proved it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So, let's just keep walking and let everyone believe in whatever they want.

On the contrary, if something can't be disproved, it is a tautology, and completely a construct of our minds, and therefore doesn't exist. Bark with me positivists!

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 10:38 pm

Deus_ex_machina wrote:
I just skip posts that are bellow gigantic quotes when I fast read.

The solution: stop fast reading.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2008, 11:02 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Deus_ex_machina wrote:
I just skip posts that are bellow gigantic quotes when I fast read.

The solution: stop fast reading.

Speed reading (Which is what it's usually called) is fine if you're reading a novel. A lot of Aspies in here seems to fall into a habit of speed reading.