Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

whats the sillyest christian denomination?
Mormon 38%  38%  [ 8 ]
Evangelical 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Catholic 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Baptist 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Protestant 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jehovas Witness 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
Other 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 21

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Dec 2007, 10:46 am

well? im gonna have to go with the mormons. i live in arizona and they are everywhere! just because they think the garden of eden was in missiori. this is a perfect example on how to make up a religion and god. now i see how moses did it, Evangelical comes in a close second though, CBN is the worst and pat robertson is crazy. i recently watched a telethon and they were like op the lord has laid it on my heart to now get the pledges up to $500,000! (it was at 325k) i just laughed. i cant believe people buy into that nonsence

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 10:57 am

Baptists are often listed as being Evangelicals, and Evangelicals are considered Protestant. I am a do-it-yourself Lutheran (meaning that I choose to obey some rules, and not necessarily obey others--and Lutheranism is one of the more liberal denominations).

I don't know if they're necessarily silly, but I found Christian Science somewhat intriguing.

Tim

spdjeanne
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 12:13 pm

Richard, you seem to be very resentful and bitter towards Christianity as a whole. I suspect you must have had some particularly bad experiences with Christians you know where you live. That and you've obviously imbibed the mainstream media, which does not portray any religion much less Christianity in a favorable light. Every time I see "Christians" on the news, I feel very alienated because of how different those people tend to be in comparison with the people I know and love. My point is that it seems you are buying into the propaganda out there about what "Christians" are like. It doesn't seem like the Christians you've come into contact with in your community have done anything but confirm the media portrayal. As a result, you don't seem open to realizing that there might be people out there who do not conform to your understanding of what is Christian, but yet are Christian. I hope that you can eventually open up your mind and step away from the stereotype to which you've grown so attached. That being said, I do think some Christians can be very silly.

ahayes
Banned
Banned

06 Dec 2007, 1:20 pm

I voted mormon, but it's a tie between mormon, catholic, and jehova's witnesses

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Dec 2007, 2:00 pm

spdjeanne the reason i am so hostile twords christians is because they are hostile twords me. but please dont feel like i just pick on the christians, if any other religion was the pirdominant one i'd feel the same way about that religion. ive met some nice christians, but as soon as they start talking to me i can see them ready to pounce on me with the gospel, its a terrible feeling. ive never met one christian that was just like hey wanna talk? they ALWAYS bring there invisible friend into the conversation

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 2:05 pm

As much as Baptists apply the label of "cult" to Mormonism, stylistically, Mormons and Baptists are very similar. They are both very controlling, think that they know everything, and are just plain weird.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Dec 2007, 2:23 pm

aye. the mormons here will buy you a house if you convert to their religion but i think you have to be married, the thought has crossed my mind about acting like a mormon to get a free house but then i always chicken out and say "you wanna be a mormon? are you insane?" :lol:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 2:23 pm

So you don't consider Messianic Judaism/Christianity to be silly? That's good! :wtg:

Eire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 2:24 pm

I don't find any religion silly. Sometimes I think it's strange that people buy into what Joseph Smith had to say, but Mormonism probably isn't too different than any other religion. It was just started in more modern times so there are better records kept of the founders.

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 2:59 pm

Mormons and Jewish, all the way.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 3:11 pm

pandabear wrote:
As much as Baptists apply the label of "cult" to Mormonism, stylistically, Mormons and Baptists are very similar. They are both very controlling, think that they know everything, and are just plain weird.

Amen, brother.

Tim

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 3:28 pm

Is there an "all" option?

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 3:34 pm

Also, the Catholics. WTF?

I second the "all" option. Religion in itself is silly. Image

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 3:35 pm

And Orthodox is not an option either--but I don't consider them silly, those icons are cool.

Tim

spdjeanne
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 3:53 pm

richardbenson wrote:
spdjeanne the reason i am so hostile twords christians is because they are hostile twords me. but please dont feel like i just pick on the christians, if any other religion was the pirdominant one i'd feel the same way about that religion. ive met some nice christians, but as soon as they start talking to me i can see them ready to pounce on me with the gospel, its a terrible feeling. ive never met one christian that was just like hey wanna talk? they ALWAYS bring there invisible friend into the conversation

Is the main reason Christianity annoys you its predominance? It seems like you feel Christianity is like a giant pillow over your face that you just want to throw across the room and set on fire. Am I right? I've read other threads where you seem pretty open to other religions like Taoism. Therefore, I doubt that you are just flat out anti-religion.

I know what you mean about the "terrible feeling" of having someone try to convert you. Although I already consider myself a Christian, because I don't fit into the mainstream Christian culture very well, people have often tried to convert me. I HATE it!! !! ! However, I don't let them control what I believe by making me throw out what I know I believe just because their being ass holes. Sometimes conformity and nonconformity are the same thing.