Family wants answers after man's death in drug raid

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 5:15 pm

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm ... 7515&rfi=6

Quote:
On Aug. 5, Anthony Diotaiuto was shot to death by a SWAT team from the Sunrise, Fla., Police Department during a dawn narcotics raid in the home he shared and helped buy with his mother, Marlene Whittier.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 5:36 pm

Gotta be careful as far as guns are concerned. Id like to know exactly what the evidence they had for a narcotics raid they had and but if the guy went and picked up a gun (whether he knew it was police or not) then the SWAT team acted in the proper way they are trained to.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 5:55 pm

People involved in drug trafficing or distribution should all be shot anyway.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 10:30 pm

Sean wrote:

Did you even read the entire story? The police had a warrant, and the man did arm himself with a semiautomatic weapon. But still, they shot him 10 times. Come on! That is ridiculous! That is obviously not a case of self defense. Both the man and the police were wrong.

To quote the article: "You don't violate the law to uphold it."

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 10:37 pm

:? Police are generally taught to empty their clip when they are in a life-threatening situation. I'm not saying thats right or why they are taught to do that. But it must be legal if thats what they are trained for.

irishmic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2005, 10:48 pm

Quote:
It must be legal if thats what they are trained for

What an interesting take on justice.
What an interesting ethical position.

So, is it ethical for a cop to empty his gun into an innocent man, if the cop claims feeling threatened at the time they did it. At what point does the act become unethical?

I'm not a person who tends to put such blind trust in law enforcement officials.
Los Angeles Police Officials are generally useless for dealing with the general public after spending the first years of their careers handling inmates in a prison setting. Many just continue to treat citizins as if they had no basic rites to humane and ethical treatment.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 11:24 pm

hey I didn't say ethical, I said legal

Quote:
Los Angeles Police Officials are generally useless

You are probably right.

In any case if the man armed himself with a gun, yes they were in mortal danger. I don't understand why mortal danger necessitates more than 10 shots though

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2005, 11:44 pm

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
In any case if the man armed himself with a gun, yes they were in mortal danger. I don't understand why mortal danger necessitates more than 10 shots though

That's because some police agencies, like the LAPD for example, can't hit anything in less than 100 shots (if you could see the local news, you'd now it's true). They also use the pathetic 9mm round where the suspect is more likely to slip on the cops' spent casings and break his neck than die of a gunshot wound. Cops should be given .44 magnums and get taught to make their shots count. That way, they can kill someone with greater efficiency without all this BS about excessive force.

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 9:28 am

Sean wrote:

He had a mere 2 ounces of Marijuana. No hard drugs were found at the scene. Certainly not something that justifies him dying over.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 4:37 pm

Psychlone wrote:
Sean wrote:

He had a mere 2 ounces of Marijuana. No hard drugs were found at the scene. Certainly not something that justifies him dying over.

Then what the hell did he grab a gun for? That's just Darwinian stupidity and the cops were right to take him out of the gene pool for grabbing the gun and having any dope as well.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 4:46 pm

Yes, 10 shots seems way overboard yet I think it would take super-human strneght to control ones adrenaline at that time.

The cops probably all know other cops who had been killed or injured in a situation similar to what they walked into. So, once the suspect picked up the gun, it was probalby out of humanly control.

Cops should be trained to handle stress but can anyone handle this level?

I don't know.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2005, 5:03 pm

I find it sad that the police were there to arrest him over the drugs. But the police did act how you would think if someone was shooting at them and or a had said weapon out and was close to shooting.

When i was living with my brother had the police break down the door but i was not there or my brother. They told my landlord who lived downstair that an informant told them that there was drugs were we were living. That was bs the police got bad info and roughly searched the whole place had stuff in a big pile on the front room floor i was pissed. The poilce never did say opps we screwed up they did give my landlord some money to fix the doors they broke :-(

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 9:45 pm

Sean wrote:
Psychlone wrote:
Sean wrote:

Then what the hell did he grab a gun for? That's just Darwinian stupidity and the cops were right to take him out of the gene pool for grabbing the gun and having any dope as well.

Did he know they were the police? If people are breaking into your home in the middle of the night and you don't know who they are then going for your gun is a natural and rational response. They should have said "we are the police, come out with your hands up".