Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:29 pm

Hey, actually I am from a southern bloodline, so I have the right to b***h about rednecks (and I'm giving non-southerners the right here to b***h about them too). Actually I am rather ashamed of having this "southern heritage".... A people who have made NO mental progress since the witch trials, what else is there really to say about rednecks? They freaking belong in a zoo with the other apes.
Now, I try to take everyone on an individual basis, so if a few southerners on here who might actually be cool, then I'm not talking bad about you necessarily (because there are undoubtedly even a few good, intelligent rednecks, but theyr ***VERY*** rare). It's that 95 percentile who I am coming down on.

All my life, I have not met anyone as stupid, hard-headed, ignorant, selfish, hypocritical, childish, and all around worthless as the average redneck. They really really really suck big donkey balls.

Last edited by snake321 on 12 Feb 2008, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:35 pm

:lol:
Well, insulting "Rednecks" is kind of redundant and circular. I mean, it's just a pejorative label, not a person. You can only accurately complain about people on a person-by-person basis. For instance, if you say "Rednecks", not everyone is going to automatically know which specific individuals you mean. Yes, they'll know which basic stereotype group you mean, but not which individuals. I mean, that's like saying it's stupid to be stupid.

But just for the heck of it...

Rednecks are stupid!

There, I said it.

No one has been officially designated a Redneck, so it's as precise as the term "fool".

Actually, I think the idea of an intelligence Redneck is pretty cool! I used to have a crush on a hick girl in high school, and she was in a higher math class than I was, even though we were in the same grade, so I used to imagine her speaking Einsteinian brillance in that hick accent of hers, with a crooked smile and a wink! :lol:

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:44 pm

Rednecks are not a Southern phenomenon:

Quote:
Redneck, in modern usage, predominantly refers to a particular stereotype of people who may be found in many regions of the United States or Canada. Originally limited to the Appalachians, and later the Ozarks and Rocky Mountains, this stereotype is now widespread in northern states, the Canadian provinces, and Lake County, California. The word can be used either as a pejorative or as a matter of pride.

There have been rednecks in every part of the US that I have lived. Speak for yourself, I find such gross generalizations...gross. You need only view in passing CMT programming and its popularity to see this (e.g., Redneck Wedding in Maryland).

PS - Born and bred in the South, neither I nor my family or friends were/are rednecks.

Redneck

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:53 pm

Yeah, some rednecks are actually northerners, I've seen this lately too..... Like some northerners migrate here and try to become southerners. I'm not a hard-core yankee either though, they can be just as extreme. I'm just me, plain and simple. But your right, my bad, there are northern rednecks too.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:56 pm

theyre in ur south, sloppin all ur hogz and votin 4 ur republicanz

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 5:12 pm

It's good to know that even when we escape the gang-infested, crime filled cities.. we're still not safe. If you happen to trespass on the wrong property, there's still a chance to have your face blown off with a shotgun. Rednecks: America's faithful protectors of NRA and NASCAR.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 5:30 pm

Syd wrote:
Rednecks: America's faithful protectors of NRA and NASCAR.

I was just reminded, by the wiki reference, of the historical reason for Rednecks' interest in NASCAR: bootlegging. That is to say, long, long ago, American cars were originally souped-up to leave the cops in the dust. I knew this before, but had forgotten. So, perhaps dragster enthusiasm has been passed down from generation to generation from those original bootleggers.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 5:58 pm

Syd wrote:
It's good to know that even when we escape the gang-infested, crime filled cities.. we're still not safe. If you happen to trespass on the wrong property, there's still a chance to have your face blown off with a shotgun. Rednecks: America's faithful protectors of NRA and NASCAR.

There are farmers who do that in Minnesota too. Minnesota, the Land of Flakes.

Mc_Jeff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2008, 5:58 pm

The only rednecks I've are West Virginia rednecks. Northern rednecks. If any of you by chance didn't know this, during the Civil War when the south seceeded, West Virginia seceeded from Virginia and remained allied with the Union. There are plenty of WV Rednecks that do the whole southern pride routine, but there's quite a few that haven't forgotten what that state was founded on, and still have progressive pride.

I'm half West Virginian by heritage. My dad is from West Virginia. He's one of 8 kids, some of whom grew up to be rednecks and others of whom grew up to be people who "just happened to have country heritage". I do have a couple Hypo-Christian aunts, like the one who insists that Bush is God's choice as president, or the one who claims that cheating pizza delivery boys isn't immoral.

Me, I've always liked to characterize country stereotypes as "redneck", "hick" and "hillbilly".

A redneck, is simply a country born person with blue collar sensibilities. He probably spent most of his life working with his hands. A lot of rednecks end up in skilled blue collar jobs, like electrician or mason.

A hillbilly is someone who lives in the backwoods and might not be open to modern sensibilities. They might live so far back in the boondocks that they don't have cable TV or even running water. Sometimes they're real friendly and sometimes they're xenophobic, it tends to be extreme either way.

A hick is what I'd call the negative redneck stereotype. Sports confederate flags everywhere, chews tobaccy, hates negroes, and is probably a Christian but never bothered to think about the religion, hence the HypoChristian tag. These are the fools that keep the televangelists in business.

graemephillips
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2008, 6:21 pm

snake321 wrote:
Hey, actually I am from a southern bloodline, so I have the right to b***h about rednecks (and I'm giving non-southerners the right here to b***h about them too). Actually I am rather ashamed of having this "southern heritage".... A people who have made NO mental progress since the witch trials, what else is there really to say about rednecks? They freaking belong in a zoo with the other apes.
Now, I try to take everyone on an individual basis, so if a few southerners on here who might actually be cool, then I'm not talking bad about you necessarily (because there are undoubtedly even a few good, intelligent rednecks, but theyr ***VERY*** rare). It's that 95 percentile who I am coming down on.

All my life, I have not met anyone as stupid, hard-headed, ignorant, selfish, hypocritical, childish, and all around worthless as the average redneck. They really really really suck big donkey balls.

I have no close connection with the USA, but I guess you could say I would fit in very well with the Deep South's culture. I believe immigration is ruining British society, I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour, I oppose homosexuality, I support biblical family life (i.e. where the father has the leadership of the family and all the responsibilities that come therewith), I oppose abortion and the legality thereof etc.

I am exactly the sort of person who tofu-nibbling latte-sipping neurotic hypochondriac vegan hybrid-driving smug San Francisco-esque people love to hate. If anyone doesn't like that, tough!

graemephillips
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2008, 6:25 pm

snake321 wrote:

By the way, I think it is really lame how smug Hollywood twits can't stop portraying Deep South people in a patronising way. Forrest Gump is a classic example with a thick-as-two-short planks Southerner amongst people behind the curve on social issues.

Hollywood likes to think of itself as being ahead of the curve on social issues, such as racism. If Hollywood really means what it says on these issues, it should stop portraying Southerners the way it does. Even if this couldn't justifiably be considered racism, I think many people are finding Hollywood's smug portrayal of them very tiresome.

graemephillips
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2008, 6:30 pm

Mc_Jeff wrote:
The only rednecks I've are West Virginia rednecks. Northern rednecks. If any of you by chance didn't know this, during the Civil War when the south seceeded, West Virginia seceeded from Virginia and remained allied with the Union. There are plenty of WV Rednecks that do the whole southern pride routine, but there's quite a few that haven't forgotten what that state was founded on, and still have progressive pride.

I'm half West Virginian by heritage. My dad is from West Virginia. He's one of 8 kids, some of whom grew up to be rednecks and others of whom grew up to be people who "just happened to have country heritage". I do have a couple Hypo-Christian aunts, like the one who insists that Bush is God's choice as president, or the one who claims that cheating pizza delivery boys isn't immoral.

Me, I've always liked to characterize country stereotypes as "redneck", "hick" and "hillbilly".

A redneck, is simply a country born person with blue collar sensibilities. He probably spent most of his life working with his hands. A lot of rednecks end up in skilled blue collar jobs, like electrician or mason.

A hillbilly is someone who lives in the backwoods and might not be open to modern sensibilities. They might live so far back in the boondocks that they don't have cable TV or even running water. Sometimes they're real friendly and sometimes they're xenophobic, it tends to be extreme either way.

A hick is what I'd call the negative redneck stereotype. Sports confederate flags everywhere, chews tobaccy, hates negroes, and is probably a Christian but never bothered to think about the religion, hence the HypoChristian tag. These are the fools that keep the televangelists in business.

I'm an electrical engineer (very much a white-collar job), but I hold many views that make me not all that different from hicks. Many people find it strange that I hold right-wing anti-immigration views despite the fact that I can speak three languages fluently and at least another four to a certain extent and have travelled the world extensively, but it should be remembered that education doesn't always make a person a bleeding-heart liberal. I think it is a shame that only uneducated hicks get notoriety in our society and I would like to see more people with hick-like views who are obviously intelligent as well in the media.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 6:55 pm

graemephillips wrote:

By the way, I think it is really lame how smug Hollywood twits can't stop portraying Deep South people in a patronising way. Forrest Gump is a classic example with a thick-as-two-short planks Southerner amongst people behind the curve on social issues.

Hollywood likes to think of itself as being ahead of the curve on social issues, such as racism. If Hollywood really means what it says on these issues, it should stop portraying Southerners the way it does. Even if this couldn't justifiably be considered racism, I think many people are finding Hollywood's smug portrayal of them very tiresome.

Aren't you generalizing about Hollywood?

Forrest Gump prolly could have been a Yankee, but I don't think that movie was an example of negative stereotyping. Forest was a 'special' non-NT, but the people around him were normal. His momma loved him and raised him the best she could, Jenny was screwed up (as young people often are), the local kids harrassed Forrest just like they would have anywhere in the country.

What about Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - that's a fair portrayal of Savannah, no? At least the interesting parts of Savannah related to that particular murder. Or The King Fish, a movie about Huey Long in Louisiana? Although set in the past, it is a pretty good historical representation. One of my favorite movies about my neck of the woods is Yulee's Gold - it never made it big, but it sure looked and felt like the small towns around me.

I watch COPS to see what America is really like! :wink:

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 7:00 pm

graemephillips wrote:
I am exactly the sort of person who tofu-nibbling latte-sipping neurotic hypochondriac vegan hybrid-driving smug San Francisco-esque people love to hate. If anyone doesn't like that, tough!

The rest of us are too busy evolving to hate anyone.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 7:02 pm

graemephillips wrote:
snake321 wrote:

I have no close connection with the USA, but I guess you could say I would fit in very well with the Deep South's culture. I believe immigration is ruining British society, I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour, I oppose homosexuality, I support biblical family life (i.e. where the father has the leadership of the family and all the responsibilities that come therewith), I oppose abortion and the legality thereof etc.

My case in point exactly, you worship authority as the golden rule with no further inquiry behind it, "morality" to you is just blind conformity to what the rest of the herd think/do. And yet somehow you think your a "rebel". Rebelling against what? Common since? I'm not some hippy vegan liberal either, that doesn't make me a witch burning conservative. Other people have the right to their beliefs too, and they shouldn't be excluded because of it, neither should non-christians be made to feel like guests living in a Christian world.
What if the "father" beats his kids, comes home drunk after a night of cheating on his wife, beats his wife, then we're expected to follow people like that as "leaders". Dude your off your f*****g rocker, put the damn moonshine down for a bit, sober up, and THINK.

Last edited by snake321 on 12 Feb 2008, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 7:04 pm

You can go off on your little conservative rants about how "poor people are destroying the nation", but many of you rednecks who talk this s**t are nothing but white trash trailor flunkies living pay check to pay check like the people you put down. Tell me I'm not right about that, I know I am.