Will you vote 3rd party in the 2008 election?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Will you vote 3rd party?
Poll ended at 25 Nov 2008, 6:55 pm
Yes - Definitely! 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
No - Definitely Not! 34%  34%  [ 10 ]
I think I will 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
I think I won't 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Other 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 29

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 6:55 pm

I may vote for Obama if he gets the nomination, but chances are I'll probably vote 3rd party as I've done every year since I turned 18 back in 2000. I know 3rd parties don't have much chance of winning, but I like to do it out of principle. I really don't agree with 90% of what the Democrats and Republicans stand for, and personally I think they are both corrupt and practically the same anyways. So for me it really isn't a choice. I would either vote 3rd party or not at all.

Obama seems a bit different than your standard 1st party candidate, so I'll have to keep an eye on him, but Hillary and McCain seem to me like more of the same old warmongering big government jerks that we always are forced to choose from.

What do you guys think?

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 7:49 pm

I will be voting against Hillary. The Clintons have historically proven themselves willing to sabotage their own party for their own political gain. The Democrats would be better off with them altogether out of politics. Besides, the Democrats are likely to have nearly undisputed control of Congress for at least the next two years. If they control sixty percent or better of the vote, they should have no difficulty keeping McCain under control. If Hillary Clinton were President, though, I predict a similar disaster as with her husband: the Republicans taking authority in Congress and liberals taking further blame for the mistakes of dumbass "third-way" Democrats. The Democrats are better off with McCain than another Clinton. At least then they can hold McCain to blame for the country's struggles, which would give them leverage to consolidate their control of Congress in 2010.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 9:08 pm

I haven't heard Obama lie yet or be outrageously disingenuous. That's very unusual for a candidate. Hillary and McCain both lie like a rug.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 9:30 pm

I was originally going to vote for Ron Paul. I will be looking at third party candidates until the elections. If I can't find a suitable third party candidate, I'll go for Obama (if he gets the Dem. nomination).

Bobby1933
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2008, 5:14 pm

Sounds like I sort of agree with three of you.

If Obama gets the nomination I will vote for him.

If Hillary gets the nomination I will vote for Ralph (Nadar)

If either Hillary or John (McCain) get elected, I may have to follow my wife to Mexico. Does anyone know of an easy but effecive home study plan for Mexican Spanish or Nuahtal.l

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 7:21 pm

Not voting, I see no point in it, the people never get a real vote on anything. Look how Bush got elected. I'd challenge anyone to name 1 point in world history where voting has ever changed anything. It's a sham.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 7:21 pm

In fact we'd really turn heads if everyone just altogether stopped voting.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 3:50 am

If Obama gets the nomination I'll give him my vote. If Hillary wins I'll vote 3rd party. I'd still prefer Hillary slightly over McCain, but I don't need to vote against McCain since the state of Washington will go to the democrats anyways.

I think we need to start petitioning to change the voting system. Get rid of the electoral college and go to instant runoff voting. That way third parties will actually have a chance.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 9:22 am

OregonBecky wrote:
I haven't heard Obama lie yet or be outrageously disingenuous.

Then you obviously have not paid much attention.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 3:35 pm

Are you making a statement of fact as you know it and where is your documentation to back up this claim?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 4:18 pm

DejaQ wrote:
Are you making a statement of fact as you know it and where is your documentation to back up this claim?

If you are referring to my comment regarding Senator Obama, then yes I am making a statement of fact and all the documentation necessary is readily available on his presidential campaign web site. He has made numerous promises which are, variously, beyond the scope of the power he would wield as President, not realistically plausible, or mutually exclusive. I think it is safe to conclude that one who makes promises that plainly can not be fulfilled is being disingenuous at the least.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 11:15 pm

If Obama is nominated, I'll vote for him; but of Hillary is, I might just vote third party or even abstain.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 11:24 pm

Orwell wrote:
DejaQ wrote:

If you are referring to my comment regarding Senator Obama, then yes I am making a statement of fact and all the documentation necessary is readily available on his presidential campaign web site. He has made numerous promises which are, variously, beyond the scope of the power he would wield as President, not realistically plausible, or mutually exclusive. I think it is safe to conclude that one who makes promises that plainly can not be fulfilled is being disingenuous at the least.

Would you please site an example?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 11:12 am

OregonBecky wrote:
Orwell wrote:
DejaQ wrote:

Essentially anything he says on his campaign website would serve.
Barack Obama wrote:
Obama will raise the minimum wage and index it to inflation

This is beyond the scope of the President's power. The President, for those of you lacking in understanding of our governmental system, is not the legislature. And in any case, I would argue that even the legislature does not have the (legal) authority to effect a minimum wage.
Barack Obama wrote:
Reduce Carbon Emissions 80 Percent by 2050

Right. Even if this were a realistic goal, how does he intend to do this? Will he abolish the 22nd Amendment and rule with an iron fist for 40 years? His other energy policies are ludicrous as well; "carbon sequestration" will do nothing to solve our environmental problems, and biofuels such as ethanol increase pollution while diverting vital food resources away from the tables of the hungry.

The quotes for his fiscal policy are too long and spread out to reproduce here, but here's the basic plan:
1. Cut taxes
2. Increase spending
3. Get rid of the deficit
I hope I do not have to explain why these three promises are mutually exclusive.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 11:29 am

He would appear to make promises larger than his head may carry.

I don't know who I'll vote for. It would be nice to pick a real person and not a career politician.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 12:47 pm

Orwell wrote:
OregonBecky wrote:
Orwell wrote:
DejaQ wrote:

Essentially anything he says on his campaign website would serve.
Barack Obama wrote:
Obama will raise the minimum wage and index it to inflation

This is beyond the scope of the President's power. The President, for those of you lacking in understanding of our governmental system, is not the legislature. And in any case, I would argue that even the legislature does not have the (legal) authority to effect a minimum wage.
Barack Obama wrote:
Reduce Carbon Emissions 80 Percent by 2050

Right. Even if this were a realistic goal, how does he intend to do this? Will he abolish the 22nd Amendment and rule with an iron fist for 40 years? His other energy policies are ludicrous as well; "carbon sequestration" will do nothing to solve our environmental problems, and biofuels such as ethanol increase pollution while diverting vital food resources away from the tables of the hungry.

The quotes for his fiscal policy are too long and spread out to reproduce here, but here's the basic plan:
1. Cut taxes
2. Increase spending
3. Get rid of the deficit
I hope I do not have to explain why these three promises are mutually exclusive.

Thanks for the reply. I understand your points. We see things differently. No president can pass laws. It's all about leadership and sheparding the Congress and the people to see things the way the leader wants them to. then pass laws that fit what the president envisions.

If a presidential candidate never stated what he or she thought was a good idea because the candidate wouldn't be passing laws, what would the candidate say? Maybe just that they' d appoint good people?