Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 5:47 pm

I know intelligence can be measured, but just because someone scores lower than another it does not mean they are stupid. It just means they do not know as much as others. Yes there is ignorance, but that does not mean they are incapable at learning. So maybe not all people are as intelligent or may ever be as intelligent, but that does not make them bad or stupid.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 5:52 pm

Well, given that there is no analytical definition of stupid, your point is correct. There are analytically valid definitions for retarded though. As well, I think that part of the purpose of an intelligence test is to actually analyze intelligence rather than just knowledge, and although the 2 can be difficult to separate, intelligence just relates to the raw cognitive ability.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2008, 8:39 pm

The problem with intelligence testing is that it doesn't measure common sense, which I think is just as important as "formal" intelligence. Without it, you're doomed.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 8:45 pm

NewportBeachDude wrote:
The problem with intelligence testing is that it doesn't measure common sense, which I think is just as important as "formal" intelligence. Without it, you're doomed.

Well, the issue is determining what common sense is. Common sense is partly "emotional intelligence", partly practical judgment, and partly social convention.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 9:18 pm

matsuiny2004 wrote:
I know intelligence can be measured

while the book never out and out disagrees with that statement....it certainly does make you aware of just how skeptical you have to be of any such "measurements."

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:29 pm

IQ is the ability to figure out problems. And not even a specific identification of how you figure out problems.

I don't get along when supposed to work together with peers who score similar to me. I fail this kind of stuff. Academics... school...

Funny enough, I do get along well in terms of working together with people who score in the below average to average range. They are engaging to work on projects with, I can talk to them normally and I don't see how they're 'more limited'.

All the 'professionals' that I met that have commented on this said that this is not supposed to be with my score.

My bad.

'IQ' has a meaning that escapes me entirely.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 9:55 am

matsuiny2004 wrote:
I know intelligence can be measured, but just because someone scores lower than another it does not mean they are stupid. It just means they do not know as much as others. Yes there is ignorance, but that does not mean they are incapable at learning. So maybe not all people are as intelligent or may ever be as intelligent, but that does not make them bad or stupid.

That is not strictly correct. Intelligence measures the speed with which someone can understand a problem, and then provide a the correct solution. The questions on intelligence tests are generally of a kind that can be answered by everyone using only basic math and logic.

Generally speaking someone with a higher measure in this score will be able to learn faster than someone with a lower score. What some people fail to realise is that a higher score bears ABSOLUTELY no correlation with the use of that faculty. I know plenty of people smarter than me that are 'idiots'. I also know a few people that would test lower than I would and are extremely wise and learned.

NewRotIck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2008, 10:38 am

The brain is mindbogglingly complex, so reducing all of its abilities to a single word like 'intelligence', or to a single numerical score like IQ, isn't going to tell you much about what a person is really capable of. Anyway, as someone much smarter than me once said, "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration."