Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2008, 6:32 am

for the leader of the free world

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/World/2 ... 1-sun.html

NEW YORK -- Pope Benedict told diplomats at the United Nations yesterday that respect for human rights was the key to solving many of the world's problems, while cautioning that international co-operation was threatened by "the decisions of a small number."

Addressing the General Assembly on his first papal trip to the United States, the pontiff described the work of the UN as vital, but raised concern that power is concentrated in the hands of just a few countries.

"Multilateral consensus continues to be in crisis because it is still subordinated to the decisions of a small number."

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

19 Apr 2008, 6:46 am

Like I give a s**t what the leader of a Pedarastic Cult has to say. His Church has pissed away any semblance of Moral Authority for the time being. Perhaps he should refrain from scolding others until a few generations of not raping young boys has elapsed. :evil:

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 7:22 am

velodog wrote:
Like I give a sh** what the leader of a Pedarastic Cult has to say. His Church has pissed away any semblance of Moral Authority for the time being. Perhaps he should refrain from scolding others until a few generations of not raping young boys has elapsed. :evil:

Disrespectful, generalising, much? Only a very small minority of Catholic ministers are paedophiles. Also, learn the difference between "cult" and "religion", please. I think that the pope is one of the more respectful authority figureheads in the world today.

I don't know about all "free" nations being democratic. Often, there is no real political freedom. The elites decide who are their most favourable candidates are, and push about their puppets, most of the time. That's how it's been ever since the Thatcher-Reagan years. Just corporate puppets. Democracy, de jure; corporatocracy, de facto. I'm sure Awesomelyglorious loves the thought of that. Read The Silent Takeover. It's only half democratic. Even before then, the western world was dominated more by the intellectual, rather than the business elites.

I do agree with alot of what the pope said, but how about getting to the roots of the problem?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

19 Apr 2008, 9:15 am

Anubis wrote:
velodog wrote:
Like I give a sh** what the leader of a Pedarastic Cult has to say. His Church has pissed away any semblance of Moral Authority for the time being. Perhaps he should refrain from scolding others until a few generations of not raping young boys has elapsed. :evil:

Disrespectful, generalising, much? Only a very small minority of Catholic ministers are paedophiles. Also, learn the difference between "cult" and "religion", please. I think that the pope is one of the more respectful authority figureheads in the world today.

It was CHURCH POLICY to shuttle boy rapers from one Parish to another and bury the incidents to the best of their ability. The best of their ability turned out to be good enough to allow abusers to practice their abuse for decades in many cases. This particular CHURCH POLICY protected dozens, if not hundreds, of child abusers from any legal proceedings for as long as the church could bury it. You can respect the Pope all you want, I don't. And I don't respect an institution that through a deliberate policy, created 1000s of more victims than there needed to be, had the leadership of the Church decided to protect the children, rather than the criminal offenders in robes.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 11:01 am

Prove it. Without evidence for those claims, I don't know where to start.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

19 Apr 2008, 7:00 pm

OK Anubis, I'm not good at posting links, search using the following:

1)Vatican told Bishops to cover up sex abuse - The Observer 17 Aug. 2003

2)Mark Honigsbaum: The cover-up of paedophile priests - The Guardian 4 May 2006

3)SurvivorsFirst.Org -November 6, 2003 list of degenerates covered up for around Boston

4)BishopAccountability.Org - Father Frank Klep

Tell me which are lies Anubis. At this point in time denying that high officials of the Church systematically covered up felony abuse on a regular basis seems ludicrous to me.

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2008, 7:27 pm

I just want to point out that this the pope complaining that power is concentrated in the hands of a few.
The pope. The "infallible" leader of over 1.1 billion people is saying that international cooperation is threatened by "the decisions of a small number."
He is either being very hypocritical or is actually criticising himself.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 5:18 am

Hmmm.

Firstly, I'd think that it is not proof that the Vatican in general is a paedophile network. They have perfectly legitimate reasons for wanting to keep it a secret. The vatican is secretive about alot of things. Yes, this is covered up, for the good of stability. However, such priests should be expelled and locked up.

And yes, that is, indeed hypocrisy, though the vatican doesn't have as much power as it used to, and the power isn't just in the hands of the pope. It really depends upon the person who wields so much power, not that the power is concentrated. Concentrated power alone does not precipitate evil all the time. True, it is most often, but not always bad.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

20 Apr 2008, 6:45 am

Anubis wrote:
Hmmm.

Firstly, I'd think that it is not proof that the Vatican in general is a paedophile network. They have perfectly legitimate reasons for wanting to keep it a secret. The vatican is secretive about alot of things. Yes, this is covered up, for the good of stability. However, such priests should be expelled and locked up.

OK Anubis, since you took a sincere look at the evidence, I will stipulate that pedarastic cult was a bit of a reach. I disagree that the Vatican had a legitimate reason to cover anything up. There were way to many people in high places who willingly made themselves complicit in the crimes of a LARGE NUMBER of felons in robes. I do happen to know that not all Priests are bad. The Monsignor who presided at my younger brothers wedding has been doing his job right for close to 40 years without a blemish on his record. Credibility is a difficult thing to regain, the Church did this to itself.

SqrachMasda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2008, 2:55 pm

voting needs to come with a test
you should prove that you have listened to every candidate
other wise it's the same few people from day one
hype them up and feed them to the masses

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 9:54 pm

burnse22 wrote:
I just want to point out that this the pope complaining that power is concentrated in the hands of a few.
The pope. The "infallible" leader of over 1.1 billion people is saying that international cooperation is threatened by "the decisions of a small number."
He is either being very hypocritical or is actually criticising himself.

Do you expect the church to be at the hands of the people who have no idea what they are practicing? I know many Catholics and many of them have no understanding to their faith so they need a religious figure to re-instill the doctrine. Religion is not a democracy, it is based on principles that cannot be changed.