Study: U.S. Economic Status: Again, #1 in the World

Page 1 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 10:11 am

Brit Hume, Re: IMD Report on world competitiveness wrote:
And for those wondering how the U.S. economy is avoiding recession, the answer may be in the latest world competitiveness report out of IMD Business School in Switzerland. It ranks the American economy as the most competitive for the 15th straight year.

It says the economy is the world's strongest, topping all others in investments, stock purchases and commercial service exports. It says the U.S. is the easiest place to secure venture capital for business development. And, it writes the U.S. dominates all other economies in key technology criteria such as computers in use.

Project director Stephane Garelli says, "The U.S. always seems to find the means to reinvent itself in ways that Japan, and much of Europe, often lacks."

Link

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 10:31 am

Of course they wont hear of it. It came from a conservative source, therefore it is wrong. :roll:

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 10:35 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Of course they wont hear of it. It came from a conservative source, therefore it is wrong. :roll:

Many call Fox News conservative, even though in a great many instances it is far from that,
but the place the actual study came from, IMD, is a non-profit research organization in Switzerland.
(And it ranked Switzerland 6th. That doesn't sound like much bias, if any, to me.
Sounds like they're just ranking world data by country.)

But you're right, American pride is simply out-of-style for many on WP.
And style means more to them than they might think.
Aspies may not all stick to the latest clothing trends,
but instead, being Aspie, they stick to the latest thought trends.
And one of those latest trends is that America sucks.
So, they blindly and willingly repeat this notion over and over again,
every time someone expresses so much as a positive thought about America,
because Americanism is out-of-style in intellectual circles.

Like their anti-Israelism, their anti-Americanism is about fads, not facts.

And for their "facts", they consult the media... :roll: ...and on it goes, ad absurbdum.

Thus, when presented with hard data, they become apoplectic.
It's a shock to their systems to see the truth.
Surely their blind, wildly-impassioned biases couldn't have been wrong?!?!

Last edited by Ragtime on 23 May 2008, 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

OrderAndChaos30
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2008, 11:15 am

If this is the case and this is the economy (USA) in the best shape as bad as it is, the rest of the world must be royally SC****D!

Or, perhaps, there are areas that have already begun to unplug from the Globalism/Fossil Fuel Matrix and now are not showing on the economic radar. One can always hope . . .

Speckles
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2008, 11:33 am

*Cough*

Speckles wrote:
Yeah, the economy is doing just peachy :roll: . That's why the american dollar has plummeted, the national debt has grown from 4 to 9 trillion dollars and counting, and over 2 million jobs have disappeared in the last three years. And why Bush's administration has started to play coy with its economic reports.

Seriously, at what point do you start calling something a recession?

Presidential Contributions to Debt

No more excuses on jobs

Bush hides bad economic news

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 12:03 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Brit Hume, Re: IMD Report on world competitiveness wrote:
And for those wondering how the U.S. economy is avoiding recession, the answer may be in the latest world competitiveness report out of IMD Business School in Switzerland. It ranks the American economy as the most competitive for the 15th straight year.

It says the economy is the world's strongest, topping all others in investments, stock purchases and commercial service exports. It says the U.S. is the easiest place to secure venture capital for business development. And, it writes the U.S. dominates all other economies in key technology criteria such as computers in use.

Project director Stephane Garelli says, "The U.S. always seems to find the means to reinvent itself in ways that Japan, and much of Europe, often lacks."

Link

How is necessary and/or productive economic activity distinguished from extraneous economic activity? I know people who move around a lot of money and make very little for themselves, produce nothing and accomplish little.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 12:43 pm

Obres wrote:
How is necessary and/or productive economic activity distinguished from extraneous economic activity? I know people who move around a lot of money and make very little for themselves, produce nothing and accomplish little.

I don't know, how do you separate the 2? What should we call extraneous?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 12:50 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Right, of course, the fatalistic stance. Honestly, the results of this study do not surprise me.

Ragtime wrote:
But you're right, American pride is simply out-of-style for many on WP.
And style means more to them than they might think.
Aspies may not all stick to the latest clothing trends,
but instead, being Aspie, they stick to the latest thought trends.
And one of those latest trends is that America sucks.
So, they blindly and willingly repeat this notion over and over again,
every time someone expresses so much as a positive thought about America,
because Americanism is out-of-style in intellectual circles.

Like their anti-Israelism, their anti-Americanism is about fads, not facts.

And for their "facts", they consult the media... :roll: ...and on it goes, ad absurbdum.

Thus, when presented with hard data, they become apoplectic.
It's a shock to their systems to see the truth.

Well, the issue is that "American pride" as a philosophy has suffered some heavy blows without any attempts by its proponents to rehabilitate the idea. As well, on some level, it goes against other systems that people are building in their minds. America does not suck on an absolute level, it is just not as good as it could be, really though, if a person believes in a more left-wing government, then why wouldn't they think that the US sucks? Europe is more left-wing than the US.

I tend to think that you are just dismissing a lot of people though without trying to get to the root of the matter. I will agree that aspies will tend to follow thought trends, but I don't think that all of them are unreasonable or not thinkers. I just think that too often, conservatism does a horrible job at defending itself, and often does not jive with many people who consider themselves culturally different than the mainstream.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:26 pm

Ragtime wrote:
But you're right, American pride is simply out-of-style for many on WP...

Despite many of your compatriots being apparently oblivious to it, a large number of people at WP aren't from the US, so are unlikely to feel any pride in the context you've stated. You know, the more I find out about your country from its citizens who post here, the more I dislike it. Land of the free, home of the brave, my arse. And now you've started arresting and intimidating UK citizens who visit your country, when it suits the political purposes of your leaders (and I'm not talking about Muslims; you can do what you want with them), I fear there's no going back.

Anyway, I try and keep things in perspective as some of you Yanks do talk the talk, in a pleasing sort of way, when it comes to freedom, even if you can't make it work in your own country.

As for you avoiding recession, you're not out of the woods yet.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:49 pm

Yet there are tens of millions of Americans who can't afford healthcare and people have to work 2 or even 3 jobs to make ends meet. GDP numbers are worthless unless they are put into the context of wealth disparity. The American middle class is dying and the gap between the haves and the have-nots is starting to look like that of Latin American banana republics, almost all the wealth is going to the richest 5%. Oh, and the government's economics figures, GDP growth included, are "cooked" with fancy accounting tricks to look better then they really are.

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data

Official GDP growth numbers vs. the real numbers:

Official inflation rate vs. real inflation rate:

Unemployment:

GDP growth is -2%, the inflation is nearly 12%, and the real unemployment rate is 13%.

Healthy economy my ass. :roll: The economy has been contracting almost steadily since 2000. Were aren't in a recession, we are in a DEPRESSION!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:55 pm

And compared to all other countries?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 3:22 pm

Odin:
While much as I love to get emotional about statistics I read on the internet, as a non-economist I can only ask
1) Are there any good impartial evaluations of shadowstats that should cause me to give it any credence, and
2) What makes John Williams more trustworthy than the scores of economists who say that the recession is mild if existent?

A butt load (like nearly all) of the so called evidence for a recession that I actually hear is BS anecdotal sensationalist journalism so forgive me if at this point I'm knee jerk skeptical of doom and gloom forecasters of all stripes.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 3:24 pm

ascan wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
But you're right, American pride is simply out-of-style for many on WP...

Despite many of your compatriots being apparently oblivious to it, a large number of people at WP aren't from the US, so are unlikely to feel any pride in the context you've stated. You know, the more I find out about your country from its citizens who post here, the more I dislike it. Land of the free, home of the brave, my arse. And now you've started arresting and intimidating UK citizens who visit your country, when it suits the political purposes of your leaders (and I'm not talking about Muslims; you can do what you want with them), I fear there's no going back.

Anyway, I try and keep things in perspective as some of you Yanks do talk the talk, in a pleasing sort of way, when it comes to freedom, even if you can't make it work in your own country.

As for you avoiding recession, you're not out of the woods yet.

What did I ever do to you? What's your problem? :? I don't know what arrests you're talking about,
but perhaps I should have been more clear about my point: It is AMERICANS who are being
anti-American because it's in style to be so at the present time. Other countries, their styles are
run by their own timings and schedules, of course, but if you get your picture of America from WP posters :!: ,
then I'm afraid you've gotten the short end of the stick, my friend.
I live in a paradise, as far as the world's countries go, and I'm smart enough to research and realize that.
Come on over here if you haven't yet, and in doing so become informed first-hand.
Uh, you're not gonna be arrested, dude. :roll: Try going to the Middle East for that crap.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 3:26 pm

Speckles wrote:
*Cough*
Speckles wrote:
Yeah, the economy is doing just peachy :roll: . That's why the american dollar has plummeted, the national debt has grown from 4 to 9 trillion dollars and counting, and over 2 million jobs have disappeared in the last three years. And why Bush's administration has started to play coy with its economic reports.

Seriously, at what point do you start calling something a recession?

Presidential Contributions to Debt

No more excuses on jobs

Bush hides bad economic news

I'd get some Halls for that cough if I were you! :)

Ragtime wrote:
I call something a recession at the point at which I notice at least some changes in the prices of my rent, my food, my clothing, and other general goods and services our economy sustains. And minor changes, I'd called a downturn.

Other than gas, which price is controlled by OPEC, nothing in my life has gone up in price. You'd think something would have, if we were in a recession. :lol: I mean, seriously, if you don't even notice the recession, and you're poor, it's probably not there! :lol:

How many times have you read a headline mentioning economists' "surprise" at recent American economic growth??
Constantly! They have to say that America's economic health "surprised" them in order to keep their jobs
as economists, because they're always unfoundedly predicting doom and gloom. Then, when the doom doesn't happen,
they have to backtrack, "shocked", and pretend it was a glitch of some sort or other. Nonsense! The economy is doing fine, but such news does not sell newspapers and magazines like Time and Newsweek, which are purely entertainment industries now.

Such companies' profits thrive on alarmism. Haven't you heard the Reporter's Creed? "If it bleeds, it leads."
"Good news is no news." Only an upsetting headline will ensure that reader buys the paper or magazine, and
develops a dependence upon that news source from out of the fear it generated in the first place.

Last edited by Ragtime on 27 May 2008, 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 3:27 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
And compared to all other countries?

That's exactly what they're afraid to do, for all their loud-mouthed bravado.

Which is a shame, because that's both the title and the premise of this thread.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 3:32 pm

Odin: I've heard of ShadowStats (too much of a cheapskate to purchase access though) and I was wondering: have you examined his methodology and why his numbers are different from the government numbers? Does he publish his calculation methods as compared to the government's? Where does he get his information?

The -2% GDP growth might be somewhat feasible, but the other numbers seem way off. We simply haven't seen price inflation at the levels he's claimed. Consumer goods are getting more expensive, but if it were occurring at the rate your chart indicates people would be taking a lot more notice. And the unemployment figures are almost certainly wrong. That high a level of unemployment is practically at depression level.

Really, it seems as though Williams goes out of his way to make the stats seem as bad as possible. Not to say the government doesn't fudge numbers to make them look better, but I would like to see some solid reasons why I should accept the numbers put forward by one rogue economist. If you haven't examined his methodology and judged it more correct than other methods, you are just cherry-picking data to match your preconceived ideological viewpoint.