Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 10:02 pm

Time for a reality check.

Facts and Myths about Christianity

Myth: God destroyed the city of Sodom for the inhabitants being homosexual..

Fact: No where in the bible does it state that the inhabitants of Sodom were homosexual. However the bible does state that god destroyed the city Sodom for the attempt to gang rape the angels of the lord and its inhospitality.

Christ later goes on to clarify this.

Christ says in Matthew 10:11-15 Sodom and Go-mor-rah's lack of hospitality, pride, idolatry, greed were the reason they were destroyed.

Myth: The word sodomite refers to homosexuals.

Fact: Sodomite refers to the Shrine prostitutes in the service of the pagan fertility gods.

Myth the book of Leviticus condemned homosexuality.

Fact: The book of Leviticus never even talks about homosexuality it does however talks about the prostitutes that worshiped Molech and his consort Ashtoreth (pagan gods).

Leviticus 18 21-22

21 And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech (that's a pagan god), neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the Lord.

22 Thou shalt no lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Myth: The bible never speaks of same-gender intimacy.

Fact: In 1 Samuel 20: 41-42 it says.

Verse 41. And as soon as the lad was gone, David arose out of a place toward the south, and fell on his face to the ground, and bowed himself three times: and they kissed one another and wept one with another until David exceeded.

Also in John 13:25 it says.

He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?

Verse 42. And Jonathan said to David, Go in peace, forasmuch as we have sworn both of us in the name of the Lord, saying, The Lord be between me and thee, and between my seed and thy seed forever. And he arose and departed: and Jonathan went into the city.

Myth: The books of Deuteronomy, I Kings, II Kings, and Job condemns homosexuality.

Fact: The books of The books of Deuteronomy, I Kings, II Kings, and Job condemns prostitution not homosexuality.

Myth: The bible never talks about homosexuals in a positive light.

Fact: In the books of Matthew 8:5-13 & Luke 7:1-10 it speaks of a centurion whom is a homosexual who begs for Christ to save his pais (lover). Please remember that during the first century pais refereed to a younger same sex lover.

Myth: The first chapter of the book of Romans speaks against homosexuals for them being homosexual.

Fact: It speaks against those who have turned their back on god homosexuals and heterosexuals alike.

Myth: I Cor 6:9 and 1 Timothy 1:10 talks about homosexuals in a negative way.

Fact: These passages originally say nothing about homosexuals however the meaning of these passages have been changed slowly over time.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 10:09 pm

I don't really even care. Whether or not homosexuality is a sin, no human has the right to judge any other. Leave that to the One who is righteous..

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 10:14 pm

And who would that be? :P

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 10:15 pm

The Alpha and the Omega, of course.

BallisticMystic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2008, 10:37 pm

Myth: a story that uses metaphorical symbols to describe something else in a hidden way making it so obvious we don't even look for it.

Fact: what all myths are describing is YOU.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 10:46 pm

BallisticMystic wrote:
Myth: a story that uses metaphorical symbols to describe something else in a hidden way making it so obvious we don't even look for it.

??? what are you talking about your making about .00000001% sense.

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2008, 11:05 pm

The main sin of Sodom&Gomorrah was not its sexual practices. It was that it outlawed hospitality, and tortured to death anyone who took in guests. When the angels disguised as wanderers were taken in by Lot, the neighbors assumed that Lot's family had these people in their house to have sex with them and demanded to share in the fun.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 12:19 am

Myth: the stories contained within the bible (regardless of which version), koran, talmud, torrah, whatever else.

Fact: people need pretend friends.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 12:21 am

MYTH: YHWH would have satisfied anyone's need for companionship...

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2008, 12:23 am

I've seen Bibles that explicitly condemn homosexuality. Gideons, for example.

BallisticMystic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Aug 2008, 12:26 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
BallisticMystic wrote:

??? what are you talking about your making about .00000001% sense.

No, what makes no sense is taking anything in myth literally as if it were about some mysterious people in a distant land a long time ago and then arguing about how s**t that was never real to begin with went down.

If you were to study all myths and religions a pattern begins to emerge from seeing the same thing in a bunch of different ways. That same thing that you're seeing ends up being you once you look for the obvious. The Bible is based on this pattern and when you read it you should see similarities between biblical events and those of your own life. There are no physical descriptions, pictures, or even last names to any of the characters in the bible for good reason, because they are all YOU. They are you in your many different aspects and ways of looking at yourself. The dialogues between man and god are your own internal dialogues and struggles. It's not an instruction manual for how to be a good person or worship some invisible god, it is a pattern and if your life follows the same pattern you should end up with the same result.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 12:34 am

burnse22 wrote:

Go look through ALL translations on the same passages. Better yet, learn Hebrew and read it directly from the Masoretic Text yourself.

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2008, 12:41 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
burnse22 wrote:

Go look through ALL translations on the same passages. Better yet, learn Hebrew and read it directly from the Masoretic Text yourself.

Okay, I admit it, I don't know ancient Hebrew. :)

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2008, 12:43 am

Interesting.

Now I'm getting ads asking if I want to learn Hebrew online.

An experiment: I don't know Japanese.

On topic, I am interested if anyone here actually is a Biblical scholar, and what their opinion is.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 2:17 pm

MYTH: Anything, anyone says about the bile is automatically true.

FACT: That's not true.

There are a lot of really crapy interpreters and preachers out there.

As for your facts: Leviticus 18:22 WHAT DO YOU CALL THAT? 21 and 22 are separate commandments.
It doesn't matter if Sodom wasn't condemned for homosexuality, they still were homosexual. If your fact was just:

Quote:
the bible does state that god destroyed the city Sodom for the attempt to gang rape the angels of the lord and its inhospitality.
then you would have been right.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 5:19 am

Trying to rewrite the Bible for personal reasons is deplorable. Usually I'm too polite to use the word sodomite, but we all know what it means and from whence the word came. It's implied in the story that the Sodom & Gomorrah were destroyed due to their practising all manner of sexual sins including homosexuality. Here on WrongPlanet where there many homosexuals this is definitely an unpopular idea. And it wil continue to be an unpopular idea, I think.