Page 2 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2005, 10:31 pm

Tom wrote:
Very interesting idea Groovey Druid - I love it!

But I think a few people have missed the point. I didn't really want this thread to debate on whether the Creation story is factual or not, but on how the existence of AS relates to that story for those that do believe it. If that is possible.

Isn't that what's so wild about WP? You post something, and people take your meaning ten different ways from the way you thought it up? :)

Seriously folks...

This is just such a BIG question. I find when discussing the Genesis story that it's very hard to get past the argument of "Do we take this literally or figuratively?"

Because, if we take it figuratively--and I don't think Aspies do this as much--then the original Sin has nothing to do with an APPLE.

It has to do with the fact that man--or woman, really--made the choice that put him into the knowledge of the state of DUALITY. Life/death, love/hate, etc. Before this, there was no duality. Only unity in God.

The guy that you quoted in the beginnging, what he said about AS being punishment for sin:

Well, if you think about it symbolically, IT SURE IS. See, at some point, our soul or spirit willingly dove into this universe of duality from unity with God. And our particular punishment? We have a disorder that makes it very difficult to function in certain ways. We have a particular concentration of the down side of the duality of health/sickness--if we choose to look at it that way, that is.

But that doesn't mean we're being punished SPECIFICALLY. Everyone who isn't a saint is going through some punishment as they try to regain that unity with God. Think about it: ever met an NT who told you, "Yeah, my life is fantastic ... no problems at all. Never have been." Never, right?

So ... Repent all ye sinners and stop being so darned Asperger-ish!

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 11:15 pm

Druid, I view the story of the fall in much the same way as you.
But I don't see Aspergers as being any particular punishment.
In some ways it seems to be a blessing, and I know there are a lot of people who disagree with that idea.

But if we look at the sermon on the mount I think we can find some aspie characteristics in there.

Of course who's to say that punishment and blessing aren't essentially the same thing.

Quote:
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.

6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11"Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 11:34 pm

It never fails. One can never bring up anything remotely connected to Christian theology without someone turning religion into a straw man. This thread is no exception.

Personally, I do not see AS as a "defect" or deficiency at all. Every person on this planet has particular strengths and weaknesses. People are born/made different because no single type of person is bested suited to deal with all tasks. If you want to know why God made you an Aspie and what to do about it, find what you do best at, and what brings you the most personal happiness.

And what do I think about Genesis? It's a very powerful story, and conveys a timeless universal truth about human nature. It is by no means a story about the origin of life, but rather, our relationship with God. Our "fall" and "death" is a SPIRITUAL one. It is not physical. If it were, then Jesus' sacrifice would prevent us from dying physical deaths today, and it obviously does not. Therefore, it is safe to see disease and death as entropic forces of nature (i.e. God) that are actually "good" for bringing about the necessary cycles of life. As physical death and ailments have surely existed since the beginning of life, our time in "Eden" must have been our (personal) union with God prior to existence.

It is interesting to note that in ancient times, people used to say, "What we do to make the Gods angry at us?" Now, we live in an age of irony in which people as "Why did God allow this to happen?", as if we are the center of the universe, and would know better. Job questioned God, and so did Jesus. Neither got a straight answer, and both found peace in resignation.

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2005, 7:50 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Druid, I view the story of the fall in much the same way as you.
But I don't see Aspergers as being any particular punishment.

Hm, that's kind of what I meant when I said:

GroovyDruid wrote:
We have a particular concentration of the down side of the duality of health/sickness--if we choose to look at it that way, that is.

But whatever. Any supposed debility or sickness can be looked at as a blessing. Christopher Reeves said that falling off the horse and breaking his kneck was the best thing that ever happened to him, because it made him see how much he had.

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 11:35 pm

Sorry, I guess I worded that poorly.
I'm actually surprised how closely your ideas resemble my own.

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2005, 1:24 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Sorry, I guess I worded that poorly.
I'm actually surprised how closely your ideas resemble my own.

Tha's cool...

You know what they say about great minds thinking alike. :)

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2005, 5:33 am

I believe God created us with AS for a reason. Come on, count how many geniuses were mentally tortured. Almost all of them. God created us for a reason. We are loved by Him, even though you may not know and love Him yet. There's something so special, we are prized by him. AS is our gift, not our curse.

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 5:06 am

I was bought up in a hard line, fundamentalist "take the bible literally" home, so often, when I meet other Christians, I automatically (and wrongly) assume they hold the same beliefs. That said, for this thread, I was hoping that people would just take the creation story literally "for the sake of arguement", as in - hypothetically speaking, if genesis is the literal truth, would we be NTs if Adam and Eve hadn't sinned?

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2005, 12:56 am

Anyone who is an Aspie and a Christian may find the following quote meaningful. I'ts one of my favorite passages from the Bible. It's John 15:18-20:

Quote:
If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before you.
If you were of the world,
the world would have loved what is its own;
but you are not of the world,
because I selected you out of the world;
therefore the world hates you.

Remember the words which I have spoken to you:
no servant is greater than his master.
If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also.

BraveMurderDay
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2005, 9:08 pm

I once heard of a Christian parent of a low-functioning autistic child drawing the analogy that how the regular world sees an autistic who lives in his own world with almost no ability to interact with the outside is just how God must view all us humans (in our natural state), living in sin and unable to follow a handful of simple commandments. Perhaps that has little relevance to Asperger's but I found it fascinating nonetheless.

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2006, 12:13 am

i hate religion for this reason because religon complcates things why cant we live in happiness with out a god and AS is genitic any way and had been proven how ever i dont want a stupid scientist it a labrotory to find my cure because i am what i am, and if any one has a problem then to hell with them. (sorry if spelling mistacks my spelling sucks i know)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 5:56 am

Thagomizer wrote:
Anyone who is an Aspie and a Christian may find the following quote meaningful. I'ts one of my favorite passages from the Bible. It's John 15:18-20:

Quote:
If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before you.
If you were of the world,
the world would have loved what is its own;
but you are not of the world,
because I selected you out of the world;
therefore the world hates you.

Remember the words which I have spoken to you:
no servant is greater than his master.
If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also.

No kidding. Representatives are going to be treated like He who they represent.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 6:01 am

Maybe god knows there need to be diversity in minds, that is so we can end up with people like Einstien.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 6:06 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Maybe god knows there need to be diversity in minds, that is so we can end up with people like Einstien.

Who is god? Do you mean God?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 6:17 am

From what I learnt is that it is an old idea that if you know gods names then you can control them, andsupposidly god does not give people his own name. As far as I know that is not his name, in fact it is not a name, maybe it is a nickname, God, but I will not call someone a nickname without ther permision. I rather use it the same way we use the word human, or dog.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 7:51 am

fahreeq wrote:
I don't understand why a seemingly loving god would create different brain wiring patterns in people, then allow people who didn't have the typical brain patterns to be abused, maligned, and ignored by others simply for being different.

The world is in a fallen state, which is why there is exists all manner of suffering and injustice. After Adam & Eve were kicked out of the garden, the world suddenly became a whole lot crappier. Things no longer rocked but in fact sucked. That's the best explanation I've heard so far.