Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 1:05 pm

slowmutant in case you have forgotten or never knew.

troll:
Posting derogatory messages about sensitive subjects on newsgroups and chat rooms to bait users into responding.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 2:17 pm

Tom wrote:
Last year someone on here (I forget who) said that the only way the existence of AS can be explained from a christian viewpoint, is as a result of sin. Sin in the world caused physical degredation that led to all diseases and disorders...including AS.

But I've been thinking..this point of view assumes that AS is a NEGATIVE disorder...and not a legitimate neurological type!

SO...is AS a NEGATIVE way to be - would we all be NTs if it hadn't been for "Adam and Eve's Fall"?

OR is AS a different but equally valuable state of being...and without "The Fall", would we be STILL be Aspies - only, in a perfect world without sin, other people would relate to us in a better way?

sorry if it's an inane question but it is on my mind....reply if you wish!
:roll:

No offense, but it is a rather stupid question.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 8:15 pm

Malsane wrote:
So, you're saying that it would only make sense if the concept was hammered in me from birth? This sounds like delusion.

Also, you said the faith. We're talking about Christianity, right? The Catholic Church does not have a monopoly on Christianity, no matter how much they want to.

No single denomination has a monopoly on the overall Christian religion. This is true.

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2008, 1:11 am

slowmutant wrote:
Malsane wrote:
So, you're saying that it would only make sense if the concept was hammered in me from birth? This sounds like delusion.

Also, you said the faith. We're talking about Christianity, right? The Catholic Church does not have a monopoly on Christianity, no matter how much they want to.

No single denomination has a monopoly on the overall Christian religion. This is true.
Then what is your point in telling me that growing up Christian would answer this question that neither my upbringing nor you have answered?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 7:15 am

If you had been raised in the faith you would have received a Christian education as well. At home, at school, and in your church community. Since you have so much abhorrence of the Original Sin doctrine there's no point in trying to impress you with it. I don't do Bible-thumping. I discuss my faith with others, but I don't try to convert them.

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2008, 11:15 pm

slowmutant wrote:
If you had been raised in the faith you would have received a Christian education as well. At home, at school, and in your church community. Since you have so much abhorrence of the Original Sin doctrine there's no point in trying to impress you with it. I don't do Bible-thumping. I discuss my faith with others, but I don't try to convert them.
Wow, people call me arrogant? I was immersed in Christianity. I live in Iowa, I went to church every sunday, I went through conformation classes, and had Christianity very much in the home.

What you mean is that I am not Catholic. Stop talking like you have a monopoly on Christianity. Also, just because I was not beaten over the head with Catholic doctrine, does not mean I am incapable of learning it and understanding it now. Unless you have to be a gullible child to believe it, which honestly, is what it sounds like you're saying. I had a Christian upbringing, and I take religion classes all the time at college. I am no stranger to the concepts, I just don't understand them. Perhaps if you would explain the idea rather than diverting conversation to my upbringing, then we might get somewhere.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 6:23 am

So much hostility. :scratch:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 8:16 am

I know, it's turned into a total pissing contest. :roll:

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:37 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Maybe the Presbyterian Church doesn't teach Original Sin. :shrug:

Side note: The Presbyterian Church does teach Original Sin and practices baptism, although there is not nearly as much emphasis on Original Sin as there is in Roman Catholicism. FWIW the Presbyterian stance on Original Sin doesn't refer to literally inheriting the Original Sin from Adam and Eve such that each baby is already a sinner right from conception (or is it birth? I'm not sure about Roman Catholic dogma), but instead tends to refer towards the natural human capacity to sin.

Baptism, like in other denominations that practice it, is to bring the person in question into the church community, where there is less of that tendency to sin and more emphasis on asking for forgiveness and forgiving others for sins that are committed, as well as establishing a connection to the Holy Spirit for much the same reason. Presbyterians (at least the PCUSA, which is the denomination my church is a part of) recognize baptisms performed by other Christian denominations as valid baptisms, since, according to the Presbyterian Church, while there are many ways to worship God, there is only one God to worship.

BallisticMystic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2008, 8:16 am

Autism isn't a punishment for sin, it's a gift to correct it.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 8:24 am

Autism may not be intended to punish the affllicted individual per se, but it's a symptom of the human race's fallen state. The world is also fallen because it is made by us. Like any other congenital problem, autism isn't a reflection on the individual. Or at least that's how I believe things to be.

Original sin stands apart from personal sin. These are the sins one accumulates from a comission or an omission of some kind. In other words, what we've done and what've failed to do.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2008, 9:20 pm

fahreeq wrote:
I don't understand why a seemingly loving god would create different brain wiring patterns in people, then allow people who didn't have the typical brain patterns to be abused, maligned, and ignored by others simply for being different.

Because the Bible says the world is not a very nice place. Everything happens for a reason. We may not know what it is, but its there.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 9:38 pm

And yet, this is the best of all possible worlds.

Dasha
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2008, 9:48 pm

okay this is a bad joke but you know what this thread title made me think

"Aspies are the negatives for the pictures of NTs"

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 11:42 pm

In the context I understand it, 'original sin' is just a synonym for natural law and sin is the act of letting natural law overpower the civil humanistic side of ourselves. The psychobilly bible-beaters don't get it, probably need Haldol, but the moderates seem to understand it just fine.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 6:06 pm

Original Sin is just an indication of mankind's tendency to do bad things, to think and say and want bad things even though our race is not inherently evil and fallen like the demons in hell.

Personal Sin is one's own record of demerits while Original Sin is very sweeping and refers to the sinful nature of mankind past/present/future. A newborn baby obviously has no demerit points on its record, but nonetheless a member of a sin-prone race.

Savy?