Religious people and thei gods have no standard for truth...

Page 4 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 10:35 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Freedom is not slavery.

You are doubleplusungoodthinkful.

For a similar juxtaposition of quotes as in my prior post, feel free to consult Proverbs 1:7 and Ecclesiastes 1:18.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 10:59 pm

Orwell wrote:
greenblue wrote:
"What is Truth?" - Pontius Pilate.

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

Freedom is slavery.

Being shackled in a hut and forced to work the fields, building pyramids, or powering Roman utilities is slavery. Its distinctive inability to leave your position. When people grasp at straws and say "Yeah, well what about poverty?" or "What about anyone who has a boss?" - its grasping at straws, steamrolling and diluting the meaning 10 miles wide, and by that sense you could argue that we're all slaves and if you look at freedom as freedom from having to fail or fend for yourself, well, slaves in that case are ultimately free. Words are only have accuracy when you keep them in their framework.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:04 pm

Relax man, I wasn't being serious. I just like quotes.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:09 pm

Orwell wrote:
Relax man, I wasn't being serious. I just like quotes.

Awesome, so I can pull the back of my collar away from my forehead and put my arms down. The pose was getting a little tiring ;).

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 1:32 am

Orwell wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Freedom is not slavery.

You are doubleplusungoodthinkful.

For a similar juxtaposition of quotes as in my prior post, feel free to consult Proverbs 1:7 and Ecclesiastes 1:18.

Freedom is opposite of slavery. You might as well tell me that up is down and evil is good.

This whole 1984 thing, you got to give it a rest. Not funny anymore.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 1:36 am

slowmutant wrote:
You might as well tell me that up is down and evil is good.

Actually, yes.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 1:42 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Orwell wrote:
greenblue wrote:
"What is Truth?" - Pontius Pilate.

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

Freedom is slavery.

Being shackled in a hut and forced to work the fields, building pyramids, or powering Roman utilities is slavery. Its distinctive inability to leave your position. When people grasp at straws and say "Yeah, well what about poverty?" or "What about anyone who has a boss?" - its grasping at straws, steamrolling and diluting the meaning 10 miles wide, and by that sense you could argue that we're all slaves and if you look at freedom as freedom from having to fail or fend for yourself, well, slaves in that case are ultimately free. Words are only have accuracy when you keep them in their framework.

You're telling me those poor Negro cotton-pickers were as free as their Caucasian friends? I wish I could slap you. :x

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 1:54 am

slowmutant wrote:
You're telling me those poor Negro cotton-pickers were as free as their Caucasian friends?

Image Are you sure you didn't miss the real meaning intended of that statement?

Quote:
I wish I could slap you. :x

:lol:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 2:04 am

You know what I mean, GB. Slaves and free men are of two different categories. It's convos lie this IRL life that earn Aspies an infuriated beat-down.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 2:26 am

ZakFiend wrote:
... how does a religious perosn determine which god is right? How would you know if you weren't deceiving yourself? since all truth is derived from the world itself and any untruth must be compared against some standard. It seems to me, to be religious you go off into relativistic never never land and never return.

What's your standard for truth?

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 3:14 am

slowmutant wrote:
ZakFiend wrote:
... how does a religious perosn determine which god is right? How would you know if you weren't deceiving yourself? since all truth is derived from the world itself and any untruth must be compared against some standard. It seems to me, to be religious you go off into relativistic never never land and never return.

The only one we know - existence. i.e. for you to be able to navigate and move around objects, reality has to function based on what is.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 5:30 am

ZakFiend wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
ZakFiend wrote:

The only one we know - existence. i.e. for you to be able to navigate and move around objects, reality has to function based on what is.

That's too bad.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 8:44 am

ZakFiend wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
ZakFiend wrote:

Shockingly enough, that's not one of the canonical definitions and/or standards for truth out there.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 9:21 am

I have never seen a 'cosine' in the wild.

Have you?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 9:31 am

Truth is what people get you to believe. . . .

Merle

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 9:32 am

Most people can't handle the truth, so instead of seeking truth they seek something that is comfortable to them, familiar to them. In fact, if theyr confronted with truth that isn't comfortable to them, they go into a state of denial. And still think their opinion amounts to a hill of beans..... Conformity preaches childishness in order to cling to someone else's irrational opinions, which are official for a whole group of people... Someone on here said truth is all that's left when you stop believing in everything.... Well said, if "everything" is establishments, consensus views from any particular group, etc.. But I wouldn't take that to some postmodern extreme "nothing is real".. Truth can not be measured by mass appeal, it does not care how you feel about it, how I feel about it, or how anyone feels about it. It is what it is. But, we're all subject to the facts rather we like it or not..... Truth isn't popular, it isn't comfortable, and yes you will have to work on yourself and check your ego as much as you may dread doing that, everyone does who seeks (I've been wrong several times in my search but willingness to admit that has actually HELPED me), if you can't deal with that, you'll just have to bury your head in the sand and deal with the consequences of your ignorance when they arrive.

Here is a link to someone whom I can tell you from my own experiences looking for truth, is himself looking for truth.... Enter if you have the guts, and the heart:

http://cuttingthroughthematrix.com/