Page 1 of 9 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 6:37 am

Why is sex considered as being a sin when many Christians have children?

What is it that makes sex and lust so sinful to Christians?

I used to a Christian and was always scared to have sex because I thought I was gonna be committing some huge sin if I was to 'do it'. I've had sex many times though since being converted to an Agnostic. I could never understand the whole concept of sex being a sin though. I personally feel that it shouldn't be considered as a sin because that would mean that everyone in the world who's ever had children is a sinner, just because they decided to have kids.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 6:40 am

Sex within a marriage is AFAIK not a sin as long as no contraceptives are used.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 7:33 am

It is most likely derived from the original problem between Adam and God. Adam, prompted by Eve ate of the forbidden tree of knowledge on the advice of the satanic snake. Psychologically the knowledge contained by the apple was pretty surely the knowledge of sex since the expulsion of Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden left them shameful of their nakedness. Basically it was originally God's prerogative to create new life but sex gave that capability to Adam and Eve through sex and apparently, although God provided both of them with active sexual organs, He wasn't too happy once they found out how to use them.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 7:39 am

This is explained in the Bible. Partick6, are you some kind of nymphomaniac?

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 7:45 am

slowmutant wrote:
This is explained in the Bible. Partick6, are you some kind of nymphomaniac?

Well do us the favor of explaining it to us here. The right's(particular the religious right) hatred of sex is spectacularly irrational.
God dont like sex yet its the only way that we can reproduce. He also said "be fruitful and muliply"..... :roll:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 7:56 am

The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah is a big hint.

Sex is a gift from God btw, but any gift can be misused.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 8:15 am

slowmutant wrote:

Sex is a gift from God btw, but any gift can be misused.

Sodom and Gomorrah was more about rape and about being hostile to guests than about sex itself. (Note that God had no problems with the fact that instead of the angels, the daughter was offered)

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 9:35 am

I don't get it either, but then, I don't get a lot of things about Christianity, the whole 'everyone is a sinner' thing being the other great example.

Sex is great with someone you love, it's a beautiful thing and without it none of us would be here. So why the shame around it? And the anti-contraception thing is just ridiculous, don't get me started...

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 9:59 am

You have to understand Christianity from the point of power. If you can make someone feel guilty then they owe you something. The church is the only source of forgiveness so, more or less literally, they've got you by the balls.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:11 am

Sand wrote:
You have to understand Christianity from the point of power. If you can make someone feel guilty then they owe you something. The church is the only source of forgiveness so, more or less literally, they've got you by the balls.

I wasn't going to say it, but... ;)

chever
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:23 am

slowmutant wrote:

Sodom and Gomorrah most likely burned down as a result of seismic activity plus natural gas deposits. If God smote every city that displeased him with its sluttiness, Rio de Janeiro would have long since turned to a pile of ash. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:57 am

Sand wrote:

Most defnitely. The Catholic church uses guilt to manipulate its followers, protestant churches use fear to manipulate and to convert the gullible.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 12:00 pm

chever wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Sodom and Gomorrah most likely burned down as a result of seismic activity plus natural gas deposits. If God smote every city that displeased him with its sluttiness, Rio de Janeiro would have long since turned to a pile of ash. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

How about 911? :P

LostInEmulation wrote:
Sodom and Gomorrah was more about rape and about being hostile to guests than about sex itself. (Note that God had no problems with the fact that instead of the angels, the daughter was offered)

That's because Adam was created first ;)

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 12:11 pm

1) Sex is related to breeding. If you come from a tribal tradition where the transfer of property is important, you'd better make sure that your children are really yours. Keeping women's sexuality controlled is one way you can make sure that other man's children won't inherit your cattle. The obsession with women's virginity stems from this practical necessity. A woman who freely enjoys her sexuality puts the whole clan structure in risk. Judaism and Islam are heavily patriarchal as a result of these customs.

2) Christianity blended Judean tradition with Greek thought, but that happened at a time when Gnosticism despised the material world as something filthy and inferior. It's only understandable that any physical expression of your true self would be discouraged.

Last edited by carturo222 on 21 Sep 2008, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 12:12 pm

slowmutant wrote:
This is explained in the Bible.

That sex is only for reproduction, right?

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 12:16 pm

christianity is stupid
I am a pagan (of sorts)
Satanism seems cool
maybe I could go into that