Obviously

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 1:54 pm

slowmutant wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
While I agree with Holocaust denial being hate-speech, it should still be protected.

how is it hate speech?

it's like challenging the validity of the gulf of tonkin incident. it doesn't necessarily have to be that the person hates the jews. i've seen arguments before where idiots can't do their math right and say that it would be impossible to incinerate so many jews in such a short period of time.

now here's a little intellectual exercise for you....what if empirical evidence were presented that proved that the holocaust didn't have nearly the scope as claimed? would you even start to be willing to change what you know as reality...or would you simply bark such evidence down as hate speech and ignore it?

gulf of tonkin is proof that just because events are claimed doesn't mean they actually happen or at least not necessarily as reported and initially recorded in history books. i'd actually dare to say that such deniers just provide an excellent way to reaffirm history by going through the numbers, going through the records and proving it again and again.

I think I see your point but your post here is really inflammatory. And your use of the word "fa***t?" Who do you think you are?

my OTHER post is inflamatory. quote that one if you have a problem with my words and the point of using those words was to put unpopular speech right in everyone's face because that's the speech that needs protecting, not the popular words.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 1:56 pm

chever wrote:
A heterosexual

Obviously

i know gay guys who use the term fa***t. normally it's in reference to a particularly effeminate man or a tranny who's not quite fabulous or sometimes too fabulous.

i don't think the word necessarily defines the user's sexuality.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 2:00 pm

Don't tell me. Tell the moderators.

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2008, 3:02 pm

Orwell wrote:
Who decides what is wrong and inflammatory enough to be banned? Let the moron hold up his views for public examination.

Yes, Orwell, I agree with you. Freedom, liberty, equality before the law. We are nothing without these things. Why give up the single most important thing we have? No, we need freedom, liberty and justice for all.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:04 pm

Freedom includes

Freedom From
as well as

Freedom To

The confusion of these two gets exploited all too often.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:08 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Freedom includes

Freedom From
as well as

Freedom To

you're an intolerant cuss, you know that? freedom means freedom. there is no "to" or "from" about it. freedom of religion means getting to pick none of the above if one so chooses. same with sex.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:21 pm

skafather84 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Freedom includes

Freedom From
as well as

Freedom To

you're an intolerant cuss, you know that? freedom means freedom. there is no "to" or "from" about it. freedom of religion means getting to pick none of the above if one so chooses. same with sex.

Don't call me names. I keep my posts clean of hate and filfth, why can't you?

chever
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:25 pm

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:28 pm

slowmutant wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Freedom includes

Freedom From
as well as

Freedom To

Don't call me names. I keep my posts clean of hate and filfth, why can't you?

slowmutant wrote:
I mean, if there was a switch to erase all homosexuality or all mental illness ...

that's you saying homosexuality is a problem and I'M the hateful one?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:30 pm

I did not say that.

But I think you wanted to do, just to keep the persecution complex going.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:32 pm

slowmutant wrote:
That's not funny.

I should have you banned.

You can have him banned? What rule did he break?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:34 pm

slowmutant wrote:
I did not say that.

But I think you wanted to do, just to keep the persecution complex going.

you sure about that one?

what about here?

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 7:53 pm

I was thinking about this last night. Here we are on a forum that most definately does not allow unfettered free speech arguing that unfettered free speech is an unassailable human right whilst at the same time asking for the mods to ban someone for hate speech.

Wrong Planet does not allow hate speech for the sme reasons that it should not be allowed in the wider world - people get hurt by it. WP is a good example how restricted free speech can and should work. We have intense and often heated debate on all manner of issues which is moderated to make sure that no one is destroyed in the process. Very few topics are banned outright but the way in which the debate can proceed is kept to agreed formats and boundaries.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 8:03 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
I was thinking about this last night. Here we are on a forum that most definately does not allow unfettered free speech arguing that unfettered free speech is an unassailable human right whilst at the same time asking for the mods to ban someone for hate speech.

Wrong Planet does not allow hate speech for the sme reasons that it should not be allowed in the wider world - people get hurt by it. WP is a good example how restricted free speech can and should work. We have intense and often heated debate on all manner of issues which is moderated to make sure that no one is destroyed in the process. Very few topics are banned outright but the way in which the debate can proceed is kept to agreed formats and boundaries.

All this is as it should be.

If someone expresses a desire for unfettered free speech, what are they really asking for?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 8:04 pm

I thought the reason WP didn't allow certain things to be said was because it is a private forum, and because bad language drives Alex to MURDER!! !!

I don't think the free speech advocates are so big on calling for a person to be banned.