Atheists: Is stealing wrong? If so, explain why.

Page 4 of 13 [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 10:45 am

I've just now finished expanding and clarifying my post on Page 3. Please re-read for the parts you missed.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 10:57 am

chamoisee wrote:
Stealing isn't sustainable. If everybody stole constantly, nobody would trust anyone at all, and human society would break down completely.

The powerful would rule, and, under the atheist's/evolutionist's model, the human race would be actually advancing because of the thieves. Under "survival of the fittest = progress (evolution)", taking every advantage you can take of everyone around you is good. In fact, it's the best service you could possible provide the human race.

And that's why religion is important. Because it postulates an outside, irrevocable, unignorable moral authority.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 11:04 am

falcorn wrote:
i think it depends on who you steal from, if you steal from a rich person and you are poor i dont think its wrong, but if the opposite happens i think its wrong

Exactly. That's a highly reasonable belief from an athiestic/evolutionary perspective.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 11:09 am

What about Robin of Loxley?

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 11:10 am

b9 wrote:
Quote:
I think most people would steal from whomever if they knew they wouldn't get caught or punished for it. I don't think it's an issue of morality any more than an issue of religious conviction- I think it's an issue of entitlement.

do you include yourself in that?
that is not my way of being.

an example may be a little old lady who has her late husbands superannuation payout in cash sitting for all to see in a trolley as she waddles home with it.
would you take any of it, even though she seems to have alzheimers and would never report it?

i hope not.

You could steal it with the justification, "Hey, sorry, lady, but I've got to survive too!
You have only a few years left, whereas I have decades of life to prepare for! Therefore, you're
money really should belong to me."
Only a religious person -- someone who believes in a super-human moral authority -- could take the old lady's side with true conviction.

Last edited by Ragtime on 26 Dec 2008, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2008, 11:16 am

Ragtime wrote:
Yes, but the difference is that atheists can't logically support morals, beyond morality being merely a personal preference,

Well, for this to work you're going to have to show that Christian morality isn't a personal preference. Even if all the claims of Christianity were true, it is still within anyone's power to reject them.

Quote:
and thus something a thief can vaildly reject for himself, because when he says that stealing isn't "wrong for him",

A thief can reject Christian morals simply by reflecting that there is no reason for him to take seriously the Christian justification for morality (that we should behave in a certain way because God says so, & if we don't he'll make us suffer forever). An atheist thief might reject morality because he feels stealing isn't wrong for him, but he would be wrong to do this.

Quote:
any atheist's argument against that sentiment is not based on anything that is even logically compatible with atheism.
With atheism, you are left with believing in evolution, which teaches survival of the fittest as the one and only way that progress (evolution) occurs, whether we like it or not.
I.e., when you and your friend are starving in the desert, it's best to kill him and take his food and water. An atheist cannot call that even slightly wrong, and back up his statement with reason. After all, you're doing this to survive, so it's fully defensible to those who put a premium on survival, and to anyone who accepts survival of the fittest as the reigning concept of life. In fact, attacking your potential competition ruthlessly is what you should do based on the evolutionary theory of how progress is made: you're simply advancing the species by that logic.

Again you're conflating atheism with evolutionary theory, & assuming if you accept the theory of evolution then you must base your morality on it. This is a bizarre thing to do. Again, evolution is the explanation of how life developed - why would anyone base their morality on that? Why would you assume that atheists are obliged to do this? Catholicism, Anglicanism, Episcopalianism, & I assume other Christian churches, accept that natural selection is the method by which life developed - do you think this colours their morality?

Quote:
Stealing is survival of the fittest:
It's the smarter and/or more powerful annexing the property of the less intelligent and/or weaker for one's own furtherance.
That's simply the way life works, under the evolutionary model: Attack them before they attack you.

Surely you know that these tendencies are in man; to steal, to kill, to lie, etc. If they weren't we wouldn't need moral codes. Clearly any moral code is an attempt to mitigate & control these tendencies. So, why would you feel that a theory which explains these negative tendencies presents a challenge to morality?

Quote:
There is no rational defense of morality within an atheistic framework. Anything deemed "morality" must come from outside atheism, and indeed from outside the physical world itself. For physical survival (which is the only kind atheists believe in), simple expediency is best: morality when it benefits you materially, and immorality when it benefits you materially.

This is just wishful thinking on your part. There are actions that increase human suffering; there are actions that increase human well-being. These are objective categories. I suppose it is possible that religion might be the best way of enforcing a moral code. I don't think it is, & I sincerely hope it isn't, as for that to be true it would mean that the only way humans, en masse, can be convinced to do good, is through lies & threats.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 11:19 am

Ragtime wrote:
chamoisee wrote:
Stealing isn't sustainable. If everybody stole constantly, nobody would trust anyone at all, and human society would break down completely.

The powerful would rule, and, under the atheist's/evolutionist's model, the human race would be actually advancing because of the thieves. Under "survival of the fittest = progress (evolution)", taking every advantage you can take of everyone around you is good. In fact, it's the best service you could possible provide the human race.

you keep talking about "survival of the fittest". how do you know if the "fittest" are not those who do not steal but do the opposite? no one can decide who is fitter than others unless the evolution decides whom to favour in the struggle of life. where do you think altruism came from? it's a part of human nature and if it's evolved so far it couldn't have been due to religion, which is a fairly new invention in the history of humanity.

you can observe altruism among other great apes too, surely you don't think they had a monkey Jesus teach them about morality? ;p

Last edited by anna-banana on 26 Dec 2008, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forsaken
Raven
Raven

26 Dec 2008, 11:20 am

Do not do unto others that which you would not want done unto your self.
If you do, then do not complain when others do it too you.

Forsaken
Raven
Raven

26 Dec 2008, 11:28 am

anna-banana wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
chamoisee wrote:

you keep talking about "survival of the fittest". how do you know if the "fittest" are not those who do not steal but do the opposite? no one can decide who is fitter than others unless the evolution decides whom to favour in the struggle of life. where do you think altruism came from? it's a part of human nature and if it evolved so far it couldn't have been due to religion, which is a fairly new invention in the history of humanity.

Humans can not make it to the stars being divided, it takes teem work, This is a part of our evolution,
even ants and bees can not build their nests and defend them without teem work.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 11:40 am

Team work is vital for star-faring, but humanity is nowhere near developing the means to do so.

Back on topic ...

Those who steal are more mobile, while thos who own property become its slaves. Stealing may then be seen as a means to free humanity from slavery to its possessions.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2008, 11:41 am

anna-banana wrote:
you keep talking about "survival of the fittest". how do you know if the "fittest" are not those who do not steal but do the opposite? no one can decide who is fitter than others unless the evolution decides whom to favour in the struggle of life. where do you think altruism came from? it's a part of human nature and if it's evolved so far it couldn't have been due to religion, which is a fairly new invention in the history of humanity.

you can observe altruism among other great apes too, surely you don't think they had a monkey Jesus teach them about morality? ;p

Exactly, there is a clear evolutionary advantage to human solidarity & altruism. It might be to an individual's advantage to steal & kill & lie, but not to the species'. & anyway, who wants to mate with a thieving, lying murderer?

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 11:42 am

Ragtime wrote:
I've just now finished expanding and clarifying my post on Page 3. Please re-read for the parts you missed.

ok I re-read your post and I think you don't fully understand the theory of evolution (is reading "The Origin of Species" considered a sin...?).

I'm not sure what you mean by "survival of the fittest" if you keep insisting that those who steal are fitter that those who don't. if that were true, then robbers and criminals would've been considered the most desirable and noble among men.

the peacock's tail makes him weaker, slower and less "fit" in the regular sense of the word. yet the bigger and more colorful it gets, the more likely it becomes for the peacock to be desirable to lady-peacocks and to spread his own genes.

there is not absolute in evolution. if the environmental factors change men will have to adapt and suddenly features that before made them successful might become obstacles.

there is nothing to support your thesis that stealing equals being evolutionarily fitter than others.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 11:55 am

anna-banana wrote:
ed wrote:
Ragtime, I deeply resent your concept that it takes a belief in God in order to live a "moral" life. Perhaps that's true for those ignorant souls who never learned to think for themselves, but not for the rest of us. You can keep your "religion" if you choose, but don't think that it makes you a better person than anybody else.

A-men!

Clearly, you're projecting what you think I said onto what I actually said, and then getting all huffy at that strawman.
What I said was that stealing is not comdemnable unless you're religious. And, in fact, stealing is admirable if you believe that life advances only through the stronger overcoming the weak, or survival of the fittest.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 11:59 am

anna-banana wrote:
it's just a story to illustrate the point, which is- if everyone would steal from others there only would be chaos and, as someone said before, there would be no society.

Actually, most of society does steal, in various monetary and nonmonetary ways. Yet, society goes on.
Corruption is almost universal, and yet the human race thrives.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 12:01 pm

deleted

Last edited by b9 on 26 Dec 2008, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 12:01 pm

Ragtime wrote:
stealing is admirable if you believe that life advances only through the stronger overcoming the weak, or survival of the fittest.

again, please make an effort and try to understand at least the basic rules of evolution if you want to prove that it favours stealing, but until you do that, you're the one with the straw man.