Page 4 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 5:52 pm

phil777 wrote:
Humans : the only animal to think he's not one. ~.~

I am human and I have no illusions about what I am. I am a primate. I am one of the baddest smartest apes in The Monkey House.

ruveyn

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 7:48 pm

I cannot help but get all ruffled when people compare humans to apes. Yes, our DNA is very similar, but that tiny difference is a big difference. I once watched a documentary where they were showing an experiment performed with a chimp. This happened to be some 'super smart sign language' chimp that they all thought was so special. They had the chimp sitting next to them with two small bowls on the table. Across the table, there was another chimp separated by plexigass. They would put five or six m&m's into one bowl and only one or two in the other and ask the chimp which one they wanted to give the other chimp. Over and over the chimp reached for the bowl with the most candy. The chimp completely understood the question, their action, and the results of those actions...to the point the chimp became visibly angry and frustrated because it could not resist the urge to reach for the one it wanted for itself, knowing full well it would be given to the other chimp. Even when one bowl was empty the chimp still chose for the other chimp to get the better serving. Chimps are freaking stupid.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 7:55 pm

claire333 wrote:
I cannot help but get all ruffled when people compare humans to apes. Yes, our DNA is very similar, but that tiny difference is a big difference. I once watched a documentary where they were showing a logic experiment performed with a chimp. This happened to be some 'super smart sign language' chimp that they all thought was so special. They had the chimp sitting next to them with two small bowls on the table. Across the table, there was another chimp separated by plexigass. They would put five or six m&m's into one bowl and only one or two in the other and ask the chimp which one they wanted to give the other chimp. Over and over the chimp reached for the bowl with the most candy. The chimp completely understood the question, their action, and the results of those actions...to the point the chimp became visibly angry and frustrated because it could not resist the urge to reach for the one it wanted for itself, knowing full well it would be given to the other chimp. Even when one bowl was empty the chimp still chose for the other chimp to get the better serving. Chimps are freaking stupid.

the chimp simply lacks empathy ;)

it cannot comprehend the combination of:
1. the other chimp sharing its desire for the candy
2. the oportunity for candy even though the other chimp gets candy first this one time
3. it has NO comprehension of granting the other chimp its wish. its too complex.

chimps are smarter than dogs and cats, but theyre definitely dumber than humans.

kids are dumb too :]

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 8:04 pm

I think you missed it. There was one question. Which one to give the other chimp. This chimp knew it wanted the larger serving for itself and wanted the other chimp to get the smaller serving, but kept reaching for the one it wanted instead. Every time it reached for the larger serving, that serving was then served to the other chimp, leaving the smaller serving for the chimp with the choice to eat. This was a chimp trained in language and understood the concept and communication of giving something to someone else, yet did this over and over to its own frustration. I guess I should not say they are stupid, but perhaps unable to control their own reflexive urges, but I will still say it anyway...stupid chimps...

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 8:23 pm

claire333 wrote:
I think you missed it. There was one question. Which one to give the other chimp. This chimp knew it wanted the larger serving for itself and wanted the other chimp to get the smaller serving, but kept reaching for the one it wanted instead. Every time it reached for the larger serving, that serving was then served to the other chimp, leaving the smaller serving for the chimp with the choice to eat. This was a chimp trained in language and understood the concept and communication of giving something to someone else, yet did this over and over to its own frustration. I guess I should not say they are stupid, but perhaps unable to control their own reflexive urges, but I will still say it anyway...stupid chimps...

sounds like there was too much foresight needed to spot that one for the chimp. it may well be trained to give stuff away, but it still cannot understand the concept of greeting someone else with something it feels like it could use itself, even though he has some himself.

look at chimps in zoos or in the wild, whenever theres food, the stealing-game begins :D

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 8:34 pm

You may be correct, but I still cannot help but get irked at being compared to monkeys.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 9:17 pm

claire333 wrote:
You may be correct, but I still cannot help but get irked at being compared to monkeys.

yeah, i know what you mean. i know about animals, monkeys, and their intelligence, and theres a lot of people-eagerness there, like with any animal-related topic that pisses me off, such as people comparing whales to humans

"they got human emotions" and whatnot. how can whales, as a collection of species, have the emotions of a completely different species? and all of them? and tv documentaries often push these ideas, cus theyre good for rating.

in animation class i did a short film in clay, where i faked a david attenborough voice explaining how brilliantly genious the chimps are, while a chimp inside a cell does the following: smash a banana by hitting it, screams, picks its big pink butt, then falls over and sleeps :D

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 9:19 pm

claire333 wrote:
I cannot help but get all ruffled when people compare humans to apes. Yes, our DNA is very similar, but that tiny difference is a big difference. I once watched a documentary where they were showing an experiment performed with a chimp. This happened to be some 'super smart sign language' chimp that they all thought was so special. They had the chimp sitting next to them with two small bowls on the table. Across the table, there was another chimp separated by plexigass. They would put five or six m&m's into one bowl and only one or two in the other and ask the chimp which one they wanted to give the other chimp. Over and over the chimp reached for the bowl with the most candy. The chimp completely understood the question, their action, and the results of those actions...to the point the chimp became visibly angry and frustrated because it could not resist the urge to reach for the one it wanted for itself, knowing full well it would be given to the other chimp. Even when one bowl was empty the chimp still chose for the other chimp to get the better serving. Chimps are freaking stupid.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7lnLCatp64[/youtube]

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 10:38 pm

Good point, parakeet...and I have always loved the way limeys say banana. :lol:

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 11:27 pm

Humans may be smart apes, but that does not make them not (more or less) apes. I mean, I would hope we were smart, otherwise I would be forced to conclude our comically large brains were for decoration.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 10:09 am

twoshots wrote:
Humans may be smart apes, but that does not make them not (more or less) apes. I mean, I would hope we were smart, otherwise I would be forced to conclude our comically large brains were for decoration.

We use our large brains to figure out innovative ways of flinging pooh at people. The main difference between humans and chimps (for example) is that humans can do differential equations and chimps can not.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 10:44 am

ruveyn wrote:
twoshots wrote:

We use our large brains to figure out innovative ways of flinging pooh at people. The main difference between humans and chimps (for example) is that humans can do differential equations and chimps can not.

ruveyn

Apparently there are a lot of chimps masquerading as humans insofar as differential equations are concerned.

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2009, 7:56 pm

ruveyn wrote:
jamesp420 wrote:
Humans are a mistake. As a species, most of us are so unlike the others that it's amazing we are all considered human.

Humans (homo sapien sapien) is an evolutionary end product which occurred in the genus homo. All living things are the product of chance and natural selection. Since there was no purpose or design that produced us, we cannot be called a mistake, which would characterize an attempt that failed of its goal. We are accidental and contingent.

Your harsh judgment appears to flow from some kind of disappointed expectation. If so, you have made an error. We are contingent and essentially accidental beings to expectations (ours or of anyone else) do not apply. Reserve your disappointments for artifacts that are poorly made. We are not artifacts. We are happenings.

ruveyn

I did not mean it literally, nor was I attempting to pass "harsh judgement."
I meant mistake as in accident, as you said. A happy mistake. All species have several variations, and the easiest example to use is Darwin's study of the finches on the Galapagos islands. Humans are no different, but our variations are not just physical, but mental and intellectual as well. And as humans, unlike many other animals, have the gift of individuality and consciousness, we see others as so much more different than we actually are. My previous post was to short and non-specific, and in itself a mistake. lol

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

azulene
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2009, 1:00 am

I think that a lot of the discussions of human to animal comparisons here and elsewhere may easily be contextualized by the force of feelings. Hardly surprising in a topic that raises issues of what we are and what we are doing as a species.

The force of feelings used to generate context is of course a very generic one amongst all living things that rely on memory in some way for their survival. Memory allows thought, and thought is connected to feeling. Context is simply a comic book representation, or a compressed version of a situation that a mind can process into action within a finite time period.

If you look closely at human animal comparisons, it is possible to quantify differences in raw intelligence from a task / solution perspective - Pigeon Intelligence

Is this a comparison between humans and pigeons?

*Or an investigation of what pigeons can do?

Why should anyone take the abilities of a pigeon personally? - War-hero pigeon is remembered. Yes, pigeons were given medals for war service, and it makes me a bit gooey on the inside knowing of this.

Even quantum mechanics tells us objectivity is impossible. I put an asterix next to the question alluding to the most "scientific" perspective above. The rest was a subjective weave in demonstrating possible emotional coloring on or around the topic of comparing humans to animals :wink: .

I still find the rest amazing and hold onto everything, science just stops me going insane amongst it..

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 2:04 pm

Although a good deal of this discussion deals with the difference between humans and other animals even a superficial glance at human history and current behavior with the incessant massive murders, persecutions, superstitions, ignorances, gullibility, desire for idiotic possessions and interpersonal regard, meaningless wars, ignorance of and violent destructions of basic necessary environments, fascination with violent games and personal dominance I have to conclude that, whatever my genetic structure may indicate, I am not human. Exactly what I am I cannot say except I am some sort of animal that superficially looks human.

monkees4va
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2009, 4:50 am

I am proud that I am not human. I am proud I don't belong to the quivering mess that is humanity.
I socialize with them, but only certain members of the species. Those higher up in the dominance hierarchy (both social and political) generally don't deserve that power.
I am a human-shaped being, one whose existance needs a new genus from homo sapians sapians

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 65 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie