Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Nov 2006
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,770
Location: Dallas, Texas

24 Feb 2009, 2:57 pm

Please describe, in one sentence, a government made-to-order for you, so that it meets your preferences.



Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,765
Location: Room 101

24 Feb 2009, 3:27 pm

The thread question and the OP ask different questions.

I'll answer the one from the OP because it's more fun.

Ragtime wrote:
Please describe, in one sentence, a government made-to-order for you, so that it meets your preferences.

It would pay for everything I need and not charge any taxes on me, using other people's money instead.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 340
Location: The Eastern Outskirts of the Daley Empire

24 Feb 2009, 3:32 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Please describe, in one sentence, a government made-to-order for you, so that it meets your preferences.

It would leave me the hell alone and not steal from me to pay for people like George. ;)


_________________
Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum Est.
I'm not Jesus. Stop punishing me for other people's sins.

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn


ascan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,352
Location: Taunton/Aberdeen

24 Feb 2009, 3:36 pm

Orwell wrote:
It would pay for everything I need and not charge any taxes on me, using other people's money instead.

You should try turning-up in the UK uninvited, Orwell. Stick a burkha on, say you've got ten kids and are seeking asylum, and you'll be laughing all the way.



oomogi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2009
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 60

24 Feb 2009, 4:06 pm

the seperation of church and state


_________________
everything exists in this world only in relation to its opposite


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

24 Feb 2009, 4:15 pm

A government that keeps the peace within the society, deters or battles enemies from without, deters or punishes frauds, breach of contract and other unethical practices that makes mutual association and specialization of labor difficult. Out society depends on people honoring their contracts. If this state is not maintained we revert to the Hobbesian state where life if nasty, brutish and short.

ruveyn



sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,766
Location: The Castle of Shock and Awe-tism

24 Feb 2009, 4:45 pm

Peace, order and good government topic

An elected, democratic government must ensure appropriate legislation and collect taxes to benefit the different regions that are united for mutual benefit.


_________________
Radiant Aspergian
Awe-Tistic Whirlwind

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo


Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2008
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,527
Location: in my brain

24 Feb 2009, 5:21 pm

No taxes, no social services, enforcement of a contract is the personal responsibility of the holder, and everybody has a gun.

What could possibly go wrong?



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

24 Feb 2009, 8:22 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
No taxes, no social services, enforcement of a contract is the personal responsibility of the holder, and everybody has a gun.

What could possibly go wrong?


That is a recipe for Somalia. That is what can go wrong.

ruveyn



MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 340
Location: The Eastern Outskirts of the Daley Empire

24 Feb 2009, 8:39 pm

No, Somolia is an irrational tribal anarchy, not a AnarchoCapitalist Society (as described).

THere are no Tribal Leaders/Stalinist Governments in an AnarchoCapitalist society to foment tribal genocides.

FWIW, for most of its history, or at least up until the Uncivil War the US opreated almost exactly as Apple described.


_________________
Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum Est.
I'm not Jesus. Stop punishing me for other people's sins.

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn


Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2008
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,527
Location: in my brain

24 Feb 2009, 8:46 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
No taxes, no social services, enforcement of a contract is the personal responsibility of the holder, and everybody has a gun.

What could possibly go wrong?


That is a recipe for Somalia. That is what can go wrong.

ruveyn


I should've put an emoticon on the bottom of that. Yes I know. I was making a sarcastic "modest proposal." I get tired of hearing about how government always bad and we could somehow survive without one, how an uncontrolled market could fill it's place and solve all our problems, and that all of society should be set up as some facilly-understood Darwinian process.[/rant]

I don't actually want live like Mad Max.



MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 340
Location: The Eastern Outskirts of the Daley Empire

24 Feb 2009, 8:52 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
...
I should've put an emoticon on the bottom of that. Yes I know. I was making a sarcastic "modest proposal." I get tired of hearing about how government always bad and we could somehow survive without one, how an uncontrolled market could fill it's place and solve all our problems, and that all of society should be set up as some facilly-understood Darwinian process.[/rant]

I don't actually want live like Mad Max.


Mad Max is a postapocolyptic Feudal Anarchy... much like Somolia.

You may want to read "The Probability Broach" by L. Neil Smith.

If folks can dream of a Big Government/Nanny State Social Utopia, than others can dream of a Self Reliant Aspie Friendly one.


_________________
Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum Est.
I'm not Jesus. Stop punishing me for other people's sins.

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn


Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,765
Location: Room 101

24 Feb 2009, 8:52 pm

MrMisanthrope wrote:
FWIW, for most of its history, or at least up until the Uncivil War the US opreated almost exactly as Apple described.

Never mind.

I was going to refute this nonsense, but it's not worth the effort.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 340
Location: The Eastern Outskirts of the Daley Empire

24 Feb 2009, 8:56 pm

Orwell wrote:
MrMisanthrope wrote:
FWIW, for most of its history, or at least up until the Uncivil War the US opreated almost exactly as Apple described.

Never mind.

I was going to refute this nonsense, but it's not worth the effort.

Probably a good idea.


_________________
Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum Est.
I'm not Jesus. Stop punishing me for other people's sins.

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn


Jkid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 551
Location: College Park,MD

24 Feb 2009, 10:08 pm

An ideal government would be one that is, like sartresue suggested, provides peace, order and good governance, AND provides the people with life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.