Page 5 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 11:18 pm

Zoonic wrote:
Hans van Themsche had a gun.

Filip De Winter isn't allowed to say what he really thinks.

As far as Sweden goes, no we don't have freedom of speech here. I don't think Belgium has either to be honest. USA have slightly better freedom of speech but the country is fail in so many ways that it more than well makes up for the few positive aspects of freedom of speech.

Very true, I stand corrected. Still, it takes quite a bit more effort to get a gun here (illegal purchase notwithstanding). Belgium isn't some glorious paradise where all is well, not even close. I'm just tired of hearing Americans go on and on about how great their country, seemingly unaware of it's faults.

Edit: Why did I post in this thread? I never win an arguement about this stuff. Just nevermind.

Last edited by Lecks on 20 May 2009, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyder13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2009, 11:19 pm

timeisdead wrote:
Lecks wrote:
timeisdead wrote:
I don't want to live in highly taxed welfare states with rampant gun control laws and a lack of free speech. I don't want to live in a nation where doctors are forced into accepting lower wages due to government controlled health care expenditures. I want to keep more of my paycheck thank you!

Sorry to interject, but this blatant myth that the USA is the only country where freedom of speach exists needs to be put to rest (and stabbed repeatedly untill it's barely more than a small pile of unidentifiable waste) and what, exactly, is wrong with gun control laws? I'm rather pleased that I live in a country where not every emotional idiot can buy a gun anywhere or anytime he likes.

Holocaust denial laws anyone? I for one believe you have the right to deny ANY historical event whatsoever.

If a maniac truly wanted a gun, he would obtain one from the black market. With gun control laws, criminals would have more of an incentive to attack others. If you have any understanding of crime, criminals are most likely to attack those who they perceive as being unable to defend themselves. How are we to defend ourselves from these maniacs if the government bars us from having fire arms?

You seem to be under the image that murders are as common is Europe as they are in the US. Europe has MUCH lower murder rates(save for maybe Russia) than the US

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 11:20 pm

This may come off as a shock coming being a mixed-raced person but...I think I'm apathetic and spiteful towards all races. Everyone's either a racist or a godawful representation of their stereotype that create open doors for racism or both. If my mom wasn't the world's most negative representation of the Asian female, I would possibly be a little warmer towards Asians but she aint. So there ya go.

It's probably the same in every country but in the U.S. there seems to be a hypocritical view towards how we treat other races (mostly coming from the liberal sector of America). I feel like I'm walking on broken glass with certain groups such as African-Americans and Jews. People are afraid to say anything bad about them at all because of their vast history of being victims of racism. Yet most Americans have no problem accusing Muslims of being terrorists, treating Latinos like ret*ds, or mocking Oriental Asians for being..."asian" as if any of these groups have ZERO racist issues in their history.

As for the conservative sector...they're racist towards everyone who isn't white. If you ask me, I'd rather have white people say they hate all other races instead of saying that some races are okay but others still aren't.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 11:21 pm

Lecks wrote:
Zoonic wrote:
Hans van Themsche had a gun.

Filip De Winter isn't allowed to say what he really thinks.

As far as Sweden goes, no we don't have freedom of speech here. I don't think Belgium has either to be honest. USA have slightly better freedom of speech but the country is fail in so many ways that it more than well makes up for the few positive aspects of freedom of speech.

Very true, I stand corrected. Still, it takes quite a bit more effort to get a gun here (illegal purchase notwithstanding). Belgium isn't some glorious paradise where all is well, not even close. I'm just tired of hearing Americans go on and on about how great their country, seemingly unaware of it's faults.

Yeah I agree about the US, I prefer Sweden, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, UK etc to America any day but, none of the european countries I mentioned have real freedom of speech, still. That's what we're lacking. Italy is currently the only european country which is actually revoking laws limiting freedom of speech, this thanks to the right wing coallition under Berlusconi.

Last edited by Zoonic on 20 May 2009, 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 11:21 pm

twoshots wrote:
marshall wrote:
Zoonic wrote:
Obama is half white so wouldn't he be three times more likely instead of six? I don't understand why his white side of the family doesn't seem to count, "he's black, period". His DNA isn't like that of a 100% african person but rather like someone with both black and white genes.

LOL. It's weird. A very large percentage of blacks in the US are genetically 50% or more white.

Can you cite that? I hear the "African Americans are half white" stat bandied about a lot, but I don't think I've heard the average number actually put much over 15% in most studies, and pretty certainly not over 20%. Everything I've heard puts the "25% or more 'white'" category at maybe 20% of the population, but in terms of "50% or more 'white'" I've heard maybe 1% of the population may be like that (don't know about the quality of the source though), which is not a very large percentage by most counts.

When someone with dark skin is treated badly nobody asks what percentage he or she is genetically black. There is no such thing as being "half black".

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 11:23 pm

hyder13 wrote:
You seem to be under the image that murders are as common is Europe as they are in the US. Europe has MUCH lower murder rates(save for maybe Russia) than the US

Ya! We beat Eastern Europe, and, I think, southern Italy. What nao?

No seriously, there are confounding factors here other than guns, specifically demographic factors. I'm skeptical that guns do much of anything either way. The real problem here is that most Americans are illiterate savages, but that's just the way we roll :rambo:

hyder13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2009, 11:32 pm

twoshots wrote:
hyder13 wrote:

Ya! We beat Eastern Europe, and, I think, southern Italy. What nao?

No seriously, there are confounding factors here other than guns, specifically demographic factors. I'm skeptical that guns do much of anything either way. The real problem here is that most Americans are illiterate savages, but that's just the way we roll :rambo:

hahaha not cool