How can anyone believe that the world is 6,000 years old?

Page 2 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 2:54 am

Well, I'd suggest a good place to start would be the book I mentioned called Darwin's Black Box. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Darwins-Black-B ... 0684834936

You should be able to get it from the library... the guy is a molecular biologist, and despite what Christians say he's not, to my knowledge at least, a Christian. But he did come to the conclusion that the universe - or life at least - had to be designed, because of the evidence of intelligence at the sub cellular level. See what you can find out about flagellum (yes, I know it sounds kinky :roll: ) and consider the implications yourself.

We'll get onto time and space when I'm not moving house. Sheesh, I have to stop putting off packing!

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 3:22 am

Not this bilge again, Irreducible Complexity is far, far from a valid argument against evolution, since it's nothing more than the argument of "I don't understand how it works, therefore it's wrong."

As for your mention of the flagellum and its use by IC:
Evolution of Flagella.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 5:55 am

The basic problem with rejecting evolution on the assumption that complicated organic structures had to be designed is that the process of design is not understood. The forces of the universe may not run through exactly the same maneuvers as a conscious designer but all a conscious designer does is face the problem to be solved and devise solutions by fabricating structures from previous knowledge. But all the structures use the capabilities of known structures and rearranging them in possible patterns results in a solution. Natural forces do not think in the accepted manner since nature has, at its bidding, huge numbers of structures to attempt the solution and millions of years to play with. There is no mind as such at work but intrinsically the process is the same and obviously solutions come about. In effect, the universe thinks with multitudes of trials and errors.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 6:12 am

I'm tired of this arguement... we have no reliable way of telling the age of the earth only that it is ancient, also it realy does't matter.

it doesn't disprove or prove any thing.. I n genisis it it is written god made the word is seven days but i'm sure it could mean seven periods of time.

time is purely subjective .

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 6:36 am

scorpileo wrote:
I'm tired of this arguement... we have no reliable way of telling the age of the earth only that it is ancient, also it realy does't matter.

it doesn't disprove or prove any thing.. I n genisis it it is written god made the word is seven days but i'm sure it could mean seven periods of time.

In other words, you'd rather not know.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 6:40 am

Sand wrote:
scorpileo wrote:

no thats not it... I just don't think we should be wating our time on somthing wich probily can never be solve.. lets get into space first and then we might out hm.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 6:56 am

scorpileo wrote:
Sand wrote:
scorpileo wrote:

no thats not it... I just don't think we should be wating our time on somthing wich probily can never be solve.. lets get into space first and then we might out hm.

If you'd read up a bit on the subject you'd realize that it has been solved and it is not likely you'll find some monstrously clever creature crawling through the caverns of the Moon or swimming the methane seas of Titan to whisper the age of the Earth into your ear. All that science which made space adventure possible has already found reliable answers to the age of the Earth and it's not in the Bible.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 7:17 am

I don't realy have faith in carbon dating and soil layers if thats what you mean.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 7:23 am

Gosh, I'm always taken aback by the animosity that starts up on these threads... "bilge", "you'd rather not know"... name calling, and sneering, from both sides.

Can't folks talk in a rational and respectful manner? If not, how can anyone ever learn?

Sorry, I just expected rather better from aspies... I'd assumed that as folks who get disrespected and mocked at in "normal" society the aspie community would have the sense to express better manners in an intellectual debate.

It may not be worth my visiting this thread, if you are all going to talk like NTs down the pub! If something is worth studying, it's worth studying in depth, from every possible angle and view point. How much time do any of us really spend questioning the basics of our belief systems? Only we, as individuals, can answer that question. But I do know that if I start saying "bilge" to people, I'll be incapable of listening.

This is very sad.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 7:29 am

^^^^ I don'y mean to be predantic but isn't that insulting.. although I do see your point.. I don't realy agree with it but accept it.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 7:32 am

scorpileo wrote:
I don't realy have faith in carbon dating and soil layers if thats what you mean.

That's your problem. It's not a matter of faith.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 7:50 am

Sand wrote:
scorpileo wrote:

that was just wording... how about I don't think that they are accurate

yes... it is a matter of faith everyone has a faith of one kind or another

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 7:55 am

scorpileo wrote:
Sand wrote:
scorpileo wrote:

Words are very, very, very important. Scientific measurement is not a matter of faith. It seems you have no understanding of the process.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Earth

It should help.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 7:59 am

Sand wrote:
scorpileo wrote:
Sand wrote:
scorpileo wrote:

Words are very, very, very important. Scientific measurement is not a matter of faith.

It seems you have no understanding of the process.

ah.. the trap has been sprung.. what is faith exactly.. a belief and science is trying to prove and disprove those beliefs such is human nature.

yeah words are importent but meaning is everything and word have many.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 8:10 am

scorpileo wrote:
Sand wrote:
scorpileo wrote:
Sand wrote:
scorpileo wrote:

Words are very, very, very important. Scientific measurement is not a matter of faith.

ah.. the trap has been sprung.. what is faith exactly.. a belief and science is trying to prove and disprove those beliefs such is human nature.

By your reply you indicate you think science is adversarial. It is not. Science merely tries to find out how the universe is constructed and functions. It would do so whether or not religion existed. What bugs you and many other people who are attached to ancient suppositions about the universe is that science frequently does not agree with you. Unfortunately those people way back when had no conception as to the way things are and they took guesses. It's not surprising those guesses were wrong because they knew very little. We know a great deal more now. We are still guessing and proving our guesses sometimes right, sometimes wrong. That's all science does.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 8:15 am

Sand wrote:
scorpileo wrote:
Sand wrote:
scorpileo wrote:
Sand wrote:
scorpileo wrote:

By your reply you indicate you think science is adversarial. It is not. Science merely tries to find out how the universe is constructed and functions. It would do so whether or not religion existed. What bugs you and many other people who are attached to ancient suppositions about the universe is that science frequently does not agree with you. Unfortunately those people way back when had no conception as to the way things are and they took guesses. It's not surprising those guesses were wrong because they knew very little. We know a great deal more now. We are still guessing and proving our guesses sometimes right, sometimes wrong. That's all science does.

you are missing the point science is A faith.. faith doesn't equal religion. faith=belief or opinion it is just commonly dumpd with religion but it isn't.

also science and religion came from the same desire to understand, therefore with out science we would not have religion and vice versa