Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 3:50 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Maybe because I don't have much of a loaf to take, but I don't really feel anything taken from me at all.

What is mine is mine. What is yours is yours and their is no "ours".

Taxation is a form of theft. If government is a necessary evil then tax theft is what makes the necessary evil possible.

I don't mind paying for the police and the fire service. If they were privately offered I would buy it willingly, but the government has a monopoly on those. That is the way it goes. I -do- mind paying for the support of lazy bums and incompetent asses, starting with the Congress critters. They are a sorry lot, each and every.

I figure maybe one government employee out of ten is worth his salary. There rest are incompetent or corrupt.

ruveyn

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 4:27 am

Taxation might be theft, but if your house is on fire, about a hundred guys will show up to put it out.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 6:24 am

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Maybe because I don't have much of a loaf to take, but I don't really feel anything taken from me at all.

What is mine is mine. What is yours is yours and their is no "ours".

Taxation is a form of theft. If government is a necessary evil then tax theft is what makes the necessary evil possible.

I don't mind paying for the police and the fire service. If they were privately offered I would buy it willingly, but the government has a monopoly on those. That is the way it goes. I -do- mind paying for the support of lazy bums and incompetent asses, starting with the Congress critters. They are a sorry lot, each and every.

I figure maybe one government employee out of ten is worth his salary. There rest are incompetent or corrupt.

ruveyn

Taxation is something we - or at least our representatives - have agreed on to levy on the populace in order to make society work. That's hardly theft.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 3:30 pm

As suspected, there's an awful lot more to this story than was written in the Telegraph. I was listening to the Jeremy Vine Show on BBC Radio2 today (a much more reliable source than the Telegraph). It was reported that there are 2 separate issues here.

Firstly, a court order was obtained, by medical professionals, to do the c-section, for medical reasons. The specific medical reasons were not disclosed, but it was claimed that the patient was deemed incapable of making a reasonable decision about it. It may have been that either the mother or baby were in danger and the doctors thought a c-section would be in the best interests of the patient (there are plenty of pregnancy related health problems that would mean a pre-term c-section was the best option). As the mother was refusing this, and in light of her mental health situation, a court order was sought, so the procedure could be carried out. Social services were not involved in this case.

The second part of this is the removal of the baby (now born) from the mother. This happened via court order. We don't know the full details of why this was seen as necesary. We do know that the mother already has 2 children and they are in the care of grandparents. Personally, I don't believe it's right that a mother can be assessed as unfit, when her child is only 2 days old. I was in the throws of the baby blues when my daughter was that age and I dread to think what might have happened if anyone thought my fitness to be a parent was questionable. I'm also concerned that the baby has been put up for adoption in the UK, when it might have been more reasonable for the child to be in Italy. This would enable a chance of some contact with the mother, if it was ever decided that this was appropriate. Obviously it was decided that the child would never be able to be returned to the mother, hence the adoption and not temporary foster care. But, not knowing the mother's full circumstances, I don't think anyone can say whether that decision was right or wrong.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 4:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Taxation is something we - or at least our representatives - have agreed on to levy on the populace in order to make society work. That's hardly theft.

I never agreed. The government and its thugs have the guns and they have the drop on me. I was forced.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 4:13 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I never agreed. The government and its thugs have the guns and they have the drop on me. I was forced.

ruveyn

Well, the government thugs of which you speak are your elected representatives who had chosen to levy taxes.

AutisticMillionaire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2013, 4:45 pm

I'm sorry but this is hysterically funny.

Just imagine folks doing this to women waiting in an abortion office...."Sorry ladies, in the lorry and off to the maternity wards for you!". God bless England, they have been an example of what not to do for a thousand years but they do it with pizzazz. I hope this is a real story.

"What do I care about law? Ain't I got the power?"
Cornelius Vanderbilt

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 4:48 am

AutisticMillionaire wrote:
I'm sorry but this is hysterically funny.

Just imagine folks doing this to women waiting in an abortion office...."Sorry ladies, in the lorry and off to the maternity wards for you!". God bless England, they have been an example of what not to do for a thousand years but they do it with pizzazz. I hope this is a real story.
The story appears to be real(ish), but it has been twisted so much, in order to make a shocking headline, that it's far from truthful. The papers love stories about the 'evil' social services. When you understand that social services were not even involved in the decision to do the c-section, it becomes much less shocking and also makes a lot more sense.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 2:52 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

Well, the government thugs of which you speak are your elected representatives who had chosen to levy taxes.

I didn't vote for them.

The Majority is tyranny. The Majority is an ass. Long live Democracy.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 2:55 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

ruveyn

I didn't vote for them.

The Majority is tyranny. The Majority is an ass. Long live Democracy.

ruveyn

What alternative would you prefer?

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 1:30 pm

staremaster wrote:
if your house is on fire, about a hundred guys will show up to put it out.

Not likely. Perhaps in a few small communities, but more often the crowd gathering is just to watch the show. There have already been cases where a fee/tax for fire protection was not paid and the fire department let homes burn to the ground.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/t/no-pay-no-spray-firefighters-let-home-burn/

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/feb/17/nation/na-nofeefire17

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/96461

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203961204577269591267553530