WHO to declare bacon and other processed meats carginogenic

Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

WHO says bacon causes cancer, what d'yall think about that?
I think WHO is full of wHooey! :razz: 63%  63%  [ 19 ]
I believe 'em, red meat is a hazard :o 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I dunno... :shrug: 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
I just wanna yummy icecream! :chef: 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 30

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 10:05 am

Brb, I'm panic buying [up] some pigs.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2015, 1:48 pm

When you think about it, the reason cancer seems to be more common now is that our longer lifespans mean that cancer is one of the leading causes of death. Cancer isn't the largest cause of death, since heart disease kills more people.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 4:34 pm

So when are they gonna ban cigarettes, which I'm sure a lot more people die from than bacon or sausage every day.

I get it! Food is bad! Food is the enemy and we should all be anorexic! But it's cool to get drunk and do drugs and smoke cigarettes! I should just stop eating and get so wasted on substances I won't even notice my body eating its own muscle tissue! That's what they want, isn't it?!

:wall:

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2015, 5:18 pm

Yawn... I tend to just read this kind of stuff and nod now, because normally, I don't eat this sort of stuff regularly anyways, plus EVERYTHING is apparently carcinogenic. Doesn't matter if you die from heart disease first from all the fricken bacon. Now, imagine the hysteria if they also let slip that cancer is actually quite common; just that most of the time, our immune system can keep them in check...

Interested to know what people they were observing though, because I would not be surprised if people from cultures with a long history of producing + consuming processed meats would be more resistant to the alleged carcinogenic effects...

Anyways, I envision a new range of short-lived bullshite fad diets to pop up very soon...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2015, 2:14 am

I was under the impression that inflammation [due to over-acidic condition of body tissues/blood] was the leading cause of cancer. cancer thrives in such an environment, as opposed to an over-alkaline condition. the SAD [Standard American Diet] is the problem.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2015, 12:04 pm

They can take away my bacon when they pry it out of my cold, dead fingers!
Oh, and Dillogic, raising pigs for meat is incredibly expensive. I did this 3 years ago and it ended up costing me about $7.50 a pound. Between the cost of feed and the cost of butchering, you can't win.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2015, 3:20 pm

glebel wrote:
Oh, and Dillogic, raising pigs for meat is incredibly expensive. I did this 3 years ago and it ended up costing me about $7.50 a pound. Between the cost of feed and the cost of butchering, you can't win.

Yeah, animals aren't cheap.

However, I have some cleared land for them (unused horse paddocks), water, and I'd do the butchering myself. Food would have to be bought, though.

I could probably run a small pig farm if piggy prohibition ever happened. :) Don't see that prohibition happening, though.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2015, 3:42 pm

Dillogic wrote:
glebel wrote:

Yeah, animals aren't cheap.

However, I have some cleared land for them (unused horse paddocks), water, and I'd do the butchering myself. Food would have to be bought, though.

I could probably run a small pig farm if piggy prohibition ever happened. :) Don't see that prohibition happening, though.

Hind sight being 20/20, I should have just bought a book on butchering, as not only did cost me, but I know for a fact that I didn't get all the meat that should have, and they didn't make the cuts the way I wanted them to either. My problem is that I can slaughter birds, but when it comes to mammals, I feel guilty. I am sticking to raising poultry.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

27 Oct 2015, 11:20 pm

everything causes cancer

air, sunshine, doesn't matter

these studies are dumb

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2015, 11:25 pm

^^^
but they are saying these things cause MORE cancer. more than air or sunshine or whatnot.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2015, 11:46 pm

Turn out it's only give a small higher chance to get cancer, nothing as bad as smoking.
http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-you-shouldnt-panic-over-processed-meats-causi-1738704617

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2015, 11:50 pm

in terms of cancers, anything that is more is automatically blacklisted AFAIC. a prudent person would always be striving for LESS carcinogenic.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2015, 12:26 am

Fnord wrote:
They can have my bacon when they can lift it bare-handed out of my hot fry-pan!

you make your bacon in a fry pan? But it comes out perfectly crispy and with most of the greasy fat off it when done in the microwave :P

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2015, 12:41 am

there are some who worry about the long-term health effects of the type of radiation [as it interacts with food] in microwave ovens.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2015, 1:19 am

I went with wanting ice cream.
Okay, processed food probably isn't particularly healthy (the fact that it's cheap means we poor folks will still buy it, even if it was proven to cause immediate anal implosion). But while red meat probably isn't good for you every day, I WILL EAT IT EVEN IF IT KILLS ME!! !!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2015, 8:51 am

Bacon doesnt kill people.

PEOPLE kill people!