Cracking Open a Cold One with the Boys

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2018, 8:47 pm

So I decided to start posting some good news here to kind of have more variety outside of the mutual admiration society that's been going on around here. We always hear about bad things and give most of our attention to negative news, with some bad part of us wanting to hear all about death, destruction, and hate on the news and overlook the good stuff. It's very good to take a break from all that negativity and look at the good news -- it's really refreshing. So without further ado, here's a good story that's been going around.

Two beer delivery men noticed a man hanging off of the side of the fence on an overpass and stopped by to find out what was going on. They knew he was contemplating suicide and after some talking, one of the delivery men, Kwame Anderson, convinced the man to not jump. Anderson told the man to come down and offered him some cold beer, and so the boys cracked open a cold one and talked.

Read the full story here.
https://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/2956/Beer-Delivery-Men-Talk-Suicidal-Man-Off-Bridge-With-Offer-To-Share-A-Cold-Beer

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 2:08 am

Most employers would probably fire these guys.

1. engaging in a suicide-prevention police matter, thus, exposing the company to liability
2. endangering themselves , thus, exposing the company to liability
3. giving away their employer's merchandise
4. drinking beer during work hours while on duty
5. stopping their delivery vehicle on an overpass, possibly endangering the vehicle and/or others
6. driving while intoxicated (who drove the delivery vehicle after they had some beers?)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 2:11 am

I imagine this was probably a local brewery. It would make sense.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2018, 2:26 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

1. engaging in a suicide-prevention police matter, thus, exposing the company to liability
5. stopping their delivery vehicle on an overpass, possibly endangering the vehicle and/or others
6. driving while intoxicated (who drove the delivery vehicle after they had some beers?)

Damn, that just made this story dark. :cry:

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 2:29 am

TBH if it was Coors Light I think I would have followed through on something drastic...

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2018, 2:34 am

Tequila wrote:
TBH if it was Coors Light I think I would have followed through on something drastic...

Haha, that gave me a chuckle. What kind of drinks suit your fancy?

-Stefán Karl Stefánsson

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 2:37 am

Hyeokgeose wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Damn, that just made this story dark. :cry:

That's why I avoid those corporations. I'm sure the inventor(s) of beer would disagree with you. One beer isn't the end of the world & it's pretty normal at lunch in the rest of the world.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 2:45 am

cberg wrote:
it's pretty normal at lunch in the rest of the world.

Having what must be the equivalent of up to four beers used to be quite common in workplaces here in Britain. The culture changed, and now many workplaces don't allow drinking. Again, not personal experience. Disclaimer.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 3:05 am

My Microsoft coworkers went for lunch beers sometimes. I probably should have gone with.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: