As if a pandemic isn't enough to deal with, Trump's calling

Page 3 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 8:29 am

magz wrote:
EzraS wrote:
The US dollar is flat currency. When the US economy collapses the US dollar will no longer be worth 1.00 it will be worth $000.1 The same goes for the British sterling pond and the Canadian dollar. Farms will go out of business, water companies will go out of business, oil companies will go out of business, electric companies will go out of business

Why?
The economy collapsed here in 1980s, we had 1000000% inflation and the farms are still producing food, water is still in pipes, electricity is still in place. There were shortages but none of them as catastrophic as you picture and the recovery was swift.

magz gets it. 8)

Chicken little thinks the sky will fall if a bunch of big businesses fail.

In reality, people are not that stupid and can still figure out how to produce and distribute food w/ all the resources available to them. Life would go on. Maybe not as smoothly for some people for a while while, but it would in fact go on.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 8:36 am

I was keeping to the topic. I was speaking against the hysteria which continued caution would induce amongst people who want a swift end to this whole thing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 9:51 am

The whole idea of Marxism-Leninist Communism revolves around a “liberation” from the forces of capitalism.

And an expansion of this “liberation” around the world.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 10:03 am

goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:
EzraS wrote:
The US dollar is flat currency. When the US economy collapses the US dollar will no longer be worth 1.00 it will be worth $000.1 The same goes for the British sterling pond and the Canadian dollar. Farms will go out of business, water companies will go out of business, oil companies will go out of business, electric companies will go out of business

Why?
The economy collapsed here in 1980s, we had 1000000% inflation and the farms are still producing food, water is still in pipes, electricity is still in place. There were shortages but none of them as catastrophic as you picture and the recovery was swift.

magz gets it. 8)

Chicken little thinks the sky will fall if a bunch of big businesses fail.

In reality, people are not that stupid and can still figure out how to produce and distribute food w/ all the resources available to them. Life would go on. Maybe not as smoothly for some people for a while while, but it would in fact go on.

Not any worse than chicken little thinking a ridiculously huge number of people are going to die from the virus or that there is a climate apocalypse around the corner and picnicking that Trump was going to start WW3 over N. Korea etc. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

And the idea that businesses that employ tens of millions failing will be solved by urban dwellers in an industrial society growing crops is asinine. Life went on after WW2 and the Holocaust too. Japan went on after getting nuked twice. Anything no matter how bad can be downplayed with "life will go on". However you are right in that they are not stupid enough to keep things shut down as long as you would like.

I respect Magz but 1980 Poland is a false equivalency to present day US and the rest of the world going into economic collapse.

Last edited by EzraS on 18 Apr 2020, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 11:23 am

I am old enough to have seen more end of the world false alarms then Ezra and Goldfish combined.

Because this virus is contagious, new, and multi symptomatic it had the potential sans lockdowns to really mess with the food supply lines and put the economy into a severe depression.

The lockdowns if left in place long enough will cause enough business to fail and individuals and government to go broke which will eventually mess with the supply lines. A good supply line is useless if the money is not there to pay for the food once it gets to you.

Even in the worse case scenarios the economy and food supply lines would probably be replaced in due time, but that time might be many years or decades resulting in many deaths and misery for those that survive.

The choice for government officials is a “thread the needle” one, to try not to have too much lockdown and too much COVID-19 at the same time in order to minimize the pain of both the lockdown and the COVID-19 directly and indirectly shortening short, medium, and long term pain. They have to do this while not knowing nearly enough about coronavirus and taking into account illogical human behavior.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Apr 2020, 11:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The whole idea of Marxism-Leninist Communism revolves around a “liberation” from the forces of capitalism.

And an expansion of this “liberation” around the world.

The Soviets never "conquered". They always "liberated".

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Apr 2020, 11:53 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The choice for government officials is a “thread the needle” one, to try not to have too much lockdown and too much COVID-19 at the same time in order to minimize the pain of both the lockdown and the COVID-19 directly and indirectly shortening short, medium, and long term pain. They have to do this while not knowing nearly enough about coronavirus and taking into account illogical human behavior.

This is true.
Trying to find the "sweet spot" of minimum damage while knowing too little and dealing with human irrationality.
I don't think political polarization around the issue - taking one half as absolute and systematically neglecting the other half - helps.

Last edited by magz on 18 Apr 2020, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 11:56 am

Yep. The Soviets had a way of using euphemism. Ever read “Darkness at Noon,” about some prisoners of the Stalin purges?

Yep. What would be best is a gradual transition back to normal societal functioning. Austria and Germany are allowing small shops to open either now or in the upcoming week.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 12:03 pm

Are people supposed to save their great 2nd ammendment by intimidating governors with firearms, or am I reading too much into that?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 12:04 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

The big difference is that other countries reacted faster and better and managed to minimize the effects of C-19 with shorter lockdowns. The trump administration f****d this up pretty hardcore, as is evident by the number of cases and deaths so far, and so they’re opening up right now = :shock: to the rest of the world looking on like “Wtf are you doing? You don’t have this under control.” And everyone is concerned because they’ve done their part to get it under control in their countries and the USA hasn’t managed to & this is a threat to every other nation on Earth being reinfected/having outbreaks caused by American travellers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 12:09 pm

domineekee wrote:
Are people supposed to save their great 2nd ammendment by intimidating governors with firearms, or am I reading too much into that?

At the very least. That’s exactly what he’s advocating. He’s nuts and he knows so are gun nuts. There’s 340,000,000 people in the USA and there’s more guns than people. They surpassed 101.x guns per 100 people more than a year ago - and they’ve made and sold more guns since then.

I would not be surprised if things go south and get rockier and trump takes to twitter to encourage them to open fire. He and the trigger happy ones are crazy enough to do it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 12:13 pm

Also, North Koreas is still building nukes. trump’s love letters and useless agreement did nothing.

And scientist are still sounding the alarm on the impending effects of man made climate change and the 1.3+ Billion people it’s expected displace or kill over the next 30 years. The science is very real and people are very stupid. People are too short sighted - if it doesn’t affect them Right Now they’re not too bothered by it. But as it creeps up and storms rage and crops dry out then they’ll say “Why didn’t we do something about this?” And that’s when scientists are going to start shooting 1.3 Billion stupid people. :)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Apr 2020, 12:19 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
And that’s when scientists are going to start shooting 1.3 Billion stupid people. :)

I hope they won't. That would be much worse than the original problem.
Developing more energy-efficient technologies and climate-hardy crops are a better direction.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 12:30 pm

magz wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
And that’s when scientists are going to start shooting 1.3 Billion stupid people. :)

I hope they won't. That would be much worse than the original problem.
Developing more energy-efficient technologies and climate-hardy crops are a better direction.

I was being sarcastic about that being the cause of death vs it being projected by storms and droughts etc.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 12:31 pm

https://www.facebook.com/briantylercohe ... 1785/?vh=e

I’m surprised none of them asked him if he meant for people to pick up their guns and intimate their state governors.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 12:43 pm

domineekee wrote:

Perhaps depending on where you heard that has taken place.