Page 343 of 535 [ 8554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 340, 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346 ... 535  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 12:41 pm

ImagineDragons wrote:
The WHO are today saying that there is no evidence to suggest that you are immune once you’ve had the flamin virus ! !

This is bad ! !

If that was the case, then one would expect Wuhan to become reinfected and pushed back into lockdown. That has not happened to the best of my knowledge. WHO is not a reliable source.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 12:47 pm

Darmok wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Much of the U.S. response to the coronavirus pandemic relied on the accuracy of coronavirus models. Many of these models were generated by the IHME. The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent global health research center at the University of Washington.

Well, that's what they say. But independent of what? And no one is really independent. They get paid by someone. They have individual and collective political and social attitudes. They are knowledgeable about some things and ignorant of many others. Who funds them? What political candidates did they vote for in the last election? What political candidates have they donated money to? (That should be public information available online.) As medical researchers, did they have easy access to treatments and special care not available to the general public? Did any of the members of this Institute lose their jobs or their livelihoods in the past month? Have they gotten more funding as more people have gotten sick and died?

According to Wikipedia:
IHME receives core grant funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the state of Washington. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); Inter-American Development Bank; Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance; the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute; Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Ministry of Health; Medtronic Philanthropy; and the National Institute on Aging have also contributed funding through project grants and contracts.

In the context of the article, I would interpret "independent" to mean independent of the United Nations, World Health Organization.

Last edited by jimmy m on 18 Apr 2020, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 12:49 pm

ImagineDragons wrote:
The WHO are today saying that there is no evidence to suggest that you are immune once you’ve had the flamin virus ! !

This is bad ! !

No worries, the WHO will probably say the opposite next week.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 12:56 pm

When my kids n i were sick some time ago (i was scared it was Covid19) elderberry anti viral syrup helped ease symptoms within 15 min every time they got bad.
It worked better than the black seed honey my brother got me for the same purpose or my buckwheat manuka honey or ginseng honey OR my Uzbekistan honey my dad got for me
The last one is the best from all of them for cough though

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 2:26 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
Amity wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
There are several old fashion cures for the common cold and some of these have been used to combat the coronavirus. One of these is called the Hot Toddy. A hot toddy, also known as hot whiskey in Ireland, is typically a mixed drink made of liquor and water with honey (or, in some recipes, sugar), herbs (such as tea) and spices, and served hot. Hot toddy recipes vary and are traditionally drunk before retiring for the night, in wet or cold weather or to relieve the symptoms of the cold and flu. A hot toddy is a mixture of a spirit (usually whisky), hot water, and honey (or, in some recipes, sugar). In Canada, maple syrup may be used. Additional ingredients such as cloves, a lemon slice or cinnamon (in stick or ground form) are often also added. The word toddy comes from the toddy drink in India, produced by fermenting the sap of palm trees. Its earliest known use to mean "a beverage made of alcoholic liquor with hot water, sugar, and spices" is from 1786. However, a few other sources credit Robert Bentley Todd for his prescription of a hot drink of brandy, canella (white cinnamon), sugar syrup, and water. January 11 in the U.S. is known as national Hot Toddy day.

During the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918-1919, whiskey was used as one of the old fashion cures for the virus. According to one 106 year old New York man who survived the Spanish Flu pandemic, Ed Palkot, his mother use to say “Those who drank whiskey escaped the flu, those who did not, succumbed.” Source: Reporter's notebook: How my dad, 106, survived the 'other' pandemic - the Spanish flu

So in the spirit of the Spanish Flu pandemic, my wife and I have incorporated the Hot Toddy tradition into our daily lives. Whenever we return home after we journey out into the world outside, it is part of our routine [put clothes in washer, take bath, Hot Toddy, essential oil blend on wrist.]

So why am I mentioning this today. Well guess who is trying to restrict our ability to follow this age old custom. Who? You guessed it WHO, the world health organization. The World Health Organization is asking European government officials to restrict citizens’ access to alcohol during the coronavirus pandemic. Source: WHO suggests access to alcohol 'should be restricted' in Europe during coronavirus lockdown

They have been wrong on so many things concerning this pandemic, they might as well add this to the list. So if you live in one of the European countries, it might be time to buy a few bottles of whiskey, just in case.

This made me laugh, there would be nationwide non consent if the government tried that here... >adds more Tullamore Dew to online grocery order. I was caught snoozing on the masks and gloves situation, not happening with the alcohol.
Also some lemon juice with honey is nice in the 'hot ones'.

It's funny but even in Islam you're allowed to have it if you need it because of sickness, and I'd ready about alcohol like brandy, being used for sickness in many of the classic novels which I was fond of reading, so as a young'un I used to ask for it every time I got a mild cold, hoping I'd get an idea of what being drunk is like. Of course my parents saw right through me. They said, you have to be so sick you won't enjoy it :roll: :mrgreen:

Lol, that would be quite ill so! My aunt swears by a half measure of brandy and whiskey, with the lemon and honey for her medicinal hot one.
Though many raw honeys will loose their medicinal properties when exposed to high temperatures, manuka generally doesnt though. I find local raw honey excellent for reducing my hayfever symptoms.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 3:59 pm

Old timers here would put ginseng and goldenseal in moonshine and take a sip every now and then for a tonic.The goldenseal made it so bitter you didn’t enjoy it.The worse it tastes, the better it is for you.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 4:34 pm

ImagineDragons wrote:

This is bad ! !

If the reports are accurate, then WHO have lost their flaming marbles.

Quote:
Prof Stephen Evans, Professor of Pharmaco-epidemiology, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, said:

“Dr van Kerkhove is technically absolutely correct. We do not know for certain that someone with antibodies will not be re-infected.
If the virus mutates at a sufficiently high rate, then it will be possible to be re-infected by a markedly different strain.
It is usually the case that even if re-infection with a different strain occurs, then the second infection will not result in as severe disease as the first.

Quote:
Prof Paul Hunter, Professor in Medicine, UEA, said:

“If you recover from COVID-19, you recover because your immune system has done its job and you have developed immunity.
We do not know how long this immunity will last – for SARS it was about two years, at least based on antibody levels.
But it can vary between people, and not everyone’s antibodies last for a long time.

So what they mean is, a few people won't develop a strong(i.e. long lasting) immunity.
This is absolutely normal and not a cause for panic.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 7:32 pm

A man in Australia has tested positive for COVID-19 3 times after recovering from the illness.

As I said before if you don't understand the biology of this virus then much of the flimsy precautions become redundant.

The virus seems to have been designed to not allow production of antibodies, another setback for vaccine research....

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 7:36 pm

ImagineDragons wrote:

This is bad ! !

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest you are not immune post infection.

New virus(s) a lot of unknowns.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 7:39 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ImagineDragons wrote:

This is bad ! !

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest you are not immune post infection.

You might have just missed my post. Some people don't recover...or gain immunity to COVID-19

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 7:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
ImagineDragons wrote:

This is bad ! !

You might have just missed my post. Some people don't recover...or gain immunity to COVID-19

I did miss your post. This would not surprise me. The question is are these people outliers or is not being immune from further infection even in the short term a trait of the disease? Too early to tell there is not nearly enough testing for one thing.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 7:52 pm

The virologist I spoke to back in early February warned that the Wuhan bioweapon theory suggest the Chinese were playing with genes from HIV and common coronoviruses to create a virus that the body is unable to produce antibodies to.

Many of the things he told me about the biology of the virus suggesting laboratory manipulation (the longevity of the cells on surfaces and air and now the resistance to antibodies) seem to be coming true....

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 9:01 pm

There Are Four Lights!

Last edited by Darmok on 18 Apr 2020, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 9:11 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Much of the U.S. response to the coronavirus pandemic relied on the accuracy of coronavirus models. Many of these models were generated by the IHME. The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent global health research center at the University of Washington. The projection of the number of U.S. deaths from the coronavirus has shifted downward rather dramatically very quickly.

Organisations/governments tend to exaggerate to get people's attention, to motivate them and to make it easier to implement reform.
"Climate Change", is a case in point.

jimmy m wrote:
ImagineDragons wrote:

This is bad ! !

If that was the case, then one would expect Wuhan to become reinfected and pushed back into lockdown. That has not happened to the best of my knowledge. WHO is not a reliable source.

"Ya think?!" 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 9:22 pm

BTDT wrote:
Alcohol does lower blood pressure. And it is known that high blood pressure is an underlying health issue that results in severe cases requiring hospitalization. I do have a bottle of hard liquor I use for cooking in my pantry.

I could Google, but meh.
Does alcohol in the blood reduce the efficiency/preponderance of oxygen in the blood?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 10:44 pm

Welcome aboard BOB. :)

Man is only passenger on U.S. Southwest Airlines flight from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Louis.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/welcome-aboa ... 00394.html

Be the hero of your life.