George Floyd police body-cam "released".

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2020, 11:33 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-2220126/Body-cam-shows-officers-trying-force-George-Floyd-cruiser.html?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

Looking at the video, the parts that stand out (to me) were:
* He was sitting in the drivers seat of a car, but claims claustrophobia when later asked to enter a police vehicle.
* He seems un-cooperative from the start of the interaction with the police.
* Early on in the interaction they are asking him about whether he is on anything due to his erratic behaviour and having foam around his mouth.
* He is claiming to not be able to breathe long before he is restrained on the ground, beginning when the Police seem to have minimal (no?) contact with him.
* Whilst the police are trying to get him into the car, he is asking to be placed on the ground and manages to force his way out of the car onto the ground.

How any of this impacts the trials, I don't know, but it does add some more clarity to the entire situation, which until now had focussed on the restraint used and not what led up to this.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 12:16 am

Brictoria wrote:
He was sitting in the drivers seat of a car, but claims claustrophobia when later asked to enter a police vehicle.

The dark back of squad car is much more claustrophobic than sitting in the front seat surrounded by windows. Floyd does clearly ask if he can sit in the front.
Brictoria wrote:

He seems terrified.
Brictoria wrote:
* Early on in the interaction they are asking him about whether he is on anything due to his erratic behaviour and having foam around his mouth.

I couldn't find this in the video, can you point me to the time?
Brictoria wrote:
* He is claiming to not be able to breathe long before he is restrained on the ground, beginning when the Police seem to have minimal (no?) contact with him.

He may have been hyperventilating from his terror and claustrophobia, which makes it difficult to breath.
Brictoria wrote:
* Whilst the police are trying to get him into the car, he is asking to be placed on the ground and manages to force his way out of the car onto the ground.

In the video they say 'come on out' and then they say 'get on the ground' at which point the officers put him on the ground.

It's interesting how we can pull two different interpretations from the same video. Probably why this footage shouldn't have been leaked to the media before a court of law could interpret it and provide a ruling.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 1:32 am

Feyokien wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
He was sitting in the drivers seat of a car, but claims claustrophobia when later asked to enter a police vehicle.

The dark back of squad car is much more claustrophobic than sitting in the front seat surrounded by windows. Floyd does clearly ask if he can sit in the front.

I had noticed that request, but I have yet to see any police vehicle (actual or fictional (tv\movie)) which has been designed for that. Not having claustrophobia, I'm not sure how the light (as oopposed to the available "free space" around him would affect him).

Feyokien wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

He seems terrified.

Not sure about terrified, but he does seem anxious, though whether that is due to the police themselves, or the potential\actual arrest I don't know.

Feyokien wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

I couldn't find this in the video, can you point me to the time?

Around the 5:30-5:45 section, just after he stands up after being sat on the ground near his car.

Feyokien wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

He may have been hyperventilating from his terror and claustrophobia, which makes it difficult to breath.

Quite possibly. Whether the police saw it like that, or associated it with the earlier observations\questions about him "being on something" and\or their belief at the time regarding his lack of compliance, however, is the important part.

Feyokien wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

In the video they say 'come on out' and then they say 'get on the ground' at which point the officers put him on the ground.

It's interesting how we can pull two different interpretations from the same video. Probably why this footage shouldn't have been leaked to the media before a court of law could interpret it and provide a ruling.

I'm not placing any judgement on this, just pointing out things which haven't been mentioned and may have impacted on the actions taken by the police. Thus far, the narrative presented had been that there was no reason behind what they did and focussed on a small portion of the interaction, but this shows another side of what occurred and provides additional context.

The question is, how are police to know the difference between "anxiety"\"terror", and someone intentionally disobeying requests. Whilst they are different things, they can manifest in similar ways, and it is possible that the officers involved had experienced other members of the public who had behaved in a similar manner intentionally, rather than involuntary.

As to the official release\lack thereof of the video, until that point people had been left to make judgements on a small portion of an event, leaving the 4 accussed in a position where they were unable to defend themselves in the the "court of public opinion", and so "forcing" people to cast judgement on a minimal, unfavourable, subset of the available information. Having it released at least provides an overview of the entire encounter, and allows people a chance to understand what led up to the death, and to see what information the police had at their disposal at the point in time.

I will note that there didn't appear to be any "racist" component to the interaction, with the actions (while misguided) of the police appearing to be related to the actions of Mr Floyd, and thus would have likely had the same outcome had he been other than black.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 2:20 am

slavering wolves ganging up on a sheep. it made me sick to watch, it was like something out of "wild kingdom." humans are supposed to be so much better than that.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 11:23 am

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 11:58 am

Man look terribly frightened and him not being able to breath before they were on his neck was his anxiety. Anxiety can make it difficult to breath when you are having a panic attack.

Officers looked patience and calm and even tried to accommodate him. I don't know much about claustrophobia but I read in a youtube comment they are fine driving because they are in control and they can stop anytime and get out any time but as a passenger, it's a different story. You are in less control so panic.

I also wonder who the woman was in the car, his wife?

But the whole neck thing, I don't get. Is it really necessary?

I could also hear people shouting and police telling them to back off.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 12:06 pm

I have claustrophobia and yes, sitting on a front seat, surrounded by windows facing outside, is very different from sitting on a back seat with your view obscured by other seats. I've never been transported in a police vehicle but I have hard time even on buses, trains or planes if the seat in front of me blocks my view.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 12:47 pm

Brictoria wrote:
I will note that there didn't appear to be any "racist" component to the interaction, with the actions (while misguided) of the police appearing to be related to the actions of Mr Floyd, and thus would have likely had the same outcome had he been other than black.

Some would argue that the entire incident occurring at all was a symptom of a racially biased or excessive force using system. It is tricky I think to say if the outcome would have been different. I think a combination of factors led to Floyd's demise, he was a big black man. Floyd was restive for reasons we can only speculate from interpreting the video, but in a seemingly non-violent way and the whole incident occurred over a single reported counterfeit $20 bill. There is a time for people with guns to show up and stop the bad guy (in a society where everyone can obtain a gun),but in this particular incident it doesn't seem appropriate to me.

League_Girl wrote:
I also wonder who the woman was in the car, his wife?

There are two leaked body cams. In the other one, it looks like its a male friend sitting in the passenger seat. Floyd had a girlfriend, her name is Courtney Ross.

Volpe
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2020, 1:02 pm

I just want to post that this is one of the most upsetting things I have ever seen.

The worst part is that my exposure to this sort of racist murder and behaviour is and always has been minimal as I am an English white man in a rural area and that black people across the western world live with this as normality. They will have to always deescalate and never allowed to show anger or upset or hostility to law enforcement as this could mean this sort of brutal attack is their punishment.

I hope that these protests can possibly change society for the better. This extra body cam for the GF murder again shows how the law enforcement were completely at fault and Mr. Floyd is there begging to be released. I do not believe he was hostile with the law enforcement but no amount of hostility deserves what happened to him.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 1:38 pm

African Americans had a reason to be upset about it, there had been many unjustified killings of blacks and if you understood their history, you would understand where they are coming from. Think of the boy who cried wolf. When a justified shooting does happen or police misconduct occurs even without racism, black people are not going to know that.

Now I think racists will use this to justify their racism and say he brought it upon himself like how he shouldn't have used counterfeit money or how he should have just obeyed the cops. :roll:

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 4:24 pm

Brictoria wrote:
The question is, how are police to know the difference between "anxiety"\"terror", and someone intentionally disobeying requests. Whilst they are different things, they can manifest in similar ways, and it is possible that the officers involved had experienced other members of the public who had behaved in a similar manner intentionally, rather than involuntary.

Thank God somebody is actually THINKING about the various different aspects of a situation. This is it, in a nutshell, IMO. I have seen, in person, several Black men get arrested, and they all say / do similar things----VERY similar things; it's almost like there's a "playbook". When a cop hears 20 times a day (I don't think that's an exaggeration, either - Baltimore is the most murderous city in the country, per capita) that something hurts, a person can't breathe, or whatever, how is one suppose to know if it's the truth? People will say ANYTHING to get out of being arrested----and, you, sort-of, can't blame them, really, cuz who'd want to get arrested?

Now, that being said, it's such a shame this happened----ANY TIME this happens----so sad.....

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 4:38 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

Thank God somebody is actually THINKING about the various different aspects of a situation. This is it, in a nutshell, IMO. I have seen, in person, several Black men get arrested, and they all say / do similar things----VERY similar things; it's almost like there's a "playbook". When a cop hears 20 times a day (I don't think that's an exaggeration, either - Baltimore is the most murderous city in the country, per capita) that something hurts, a person can't breathe, or whatever, how is one suppose to know if it's the truth? People will say ANYTHING to get out of being arrested----and, you, sort-of, can't blame them, really, cuz who'd want to get arrested?

Now, that being said, it's such a shame this happened----ANY TIME this happens----so sad.....

Every time a black man was arrested, he said something hurt or he couldn't breathe?
The first explanation that comes into my mind is not a "playbook". It's much simpler: that they say the truth.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 6:24 pm

magz wrote:
Every time a black man was arrested, he said something hurt or he couldn't breathe?
The first explanation that comes into my mind is not a "playbook". It's much simpler: that they say the truth.

I was just using "I can't breathe" as an example, cuz that's what George Floyd said (NOT that I think he was lying - but he was saying that, in the OP's video, even before he was on the ground). I've actually never heard someone say, in person, that they can't breathe----even when they were flat on the ground, like Mr. Floyd was.

The part about "it hurts", I have heard EVERY SINGLE TIME I've seen, in person, a person get arrested----even white people have said this. Here's the thing..... There are, at least, two things that I feel could be the reason people say this..... No.1, they say it thinking they'll play on the cop's sympathies, and they'll take it easier on them (NOT that it absolutely doesn't hurt to have handcuffs put on you, it probably does; but, c'mon, it's not all that).

Secondly, there's a narcissist bred every minute, nowadays, and one of a narcissist's favorite things to do, is play the victim----and they know that the likelihood is great that someone will be recording the arrest on their phone, so they will say anything to make the cop look as bad as possible, so they can say "You see how he treated me".

The cops, here, in Baltimore, that I've seen arresting people, are BEYOND courteous and respectful, and so-forth----it AMAZES me that they have the patience, they do.

The last person I saw get arrested was a black man who was naked from the waist, down, and the cops were really being caring, and concerned about him, trying to find out where he had left his pants----saying they would go get them for him..... He was drunk, or drugged (or both), and didn't seem to even know what pants, were.

I totally understand someone who doesn't live in a major metropolitan area in America, not understanding this, but the thing that happens quite often, is that the person being arrested already has a Rap Sheet as long as their arm,and they, most often, are always tryin' to get over on somebody.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 8:28 pm

League_Girl wrote:

I am not certain, but I understand that this was how the training material and directives to officers described the approved\expected ways to restrain a person (if so, it will be raised as a defence in court).

If so, you run into the question: Should police always follow regulations\directives as provided\instructed, or should they have the freedom to act as they will, disregarding regulations\directives that they do not feel are "appropriate" (keeping in mind that this allows them to ignore "good" regulations\directives as well as "bad" ones should they wish).

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 11:33 pm

Brictoria wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I am not certain, but I understand that this was how the training material and directives to officers described the approved\expected ways to restrain a person (if so, it will be raised as a defence in court).

If so, you run into the question: Should police always follow regulations\directives as provided\instructed, or should they have the freedom to act as they will, disregarding regulations\directives that they do not feel are "appropriate" (keeping in mind that this allows them to ignore "good" regulations\directives as well as "bad" ones should they wish).

Seems our local constabulary still use this type of retraint:

Source: https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/victoria-police-hand-out-176-fines-for-breaching-coronavirus-directions/news-story/dd97030f26d564c055d956bebf482cc5