Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 11:22 am

My daughter lives in Humbolt county,the air is awful.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 11:23 am

Yep. Stay safe!

If people heed the evacuation orders, “hundreds” won’t die.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 7:28 pm

To all the WP members being affected I hope this stops really soon.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 7:42 pm

The sky over the whole Spokane area is overcast. Not with clouds, but with smoke coming from fires north of here. My state seems to be literally going up in smoke.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 8:38 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:
Sylkat wrote:
The Southern California Fire was started by idiots at a ‘Gender Reveal’ party.
They were shooting real bullets from a real gun at a target set up for the party.
The target was packed with a pink or blue powder.
The target was also packed with gunpowder, which exploded, as planned, when bullets hit the target; great show!
We have lost over 10,000 acres, two firefighters are hospitalized, I don’t know how many are homeless, lost EVERYTHING, but the party people got a good show!

So, anybody still not convinced that we are a nation of narcissists? I feel sorry for all those poor people...

it is completely full of narcissists. there's no limit to the absolutely contrived BS that people will do for likes and attention on social media.

all over the internet i'm just looking at comments by sociopathic shut-ins wishing harm on the "leftist coastal libs" and other unhinged nonsense directed at the people who are suffering - disregarding or not even aware that it's the small towns and more conservative areas that are being disproportionately affected
apparently all the states with an actual economy and with anything going for them besides corn and fentanyl isn't "real america"?
i never got that

i feel really bad for the kid. hard to imagine a worse start in life then immediately being resented because your birth is associated with something that personally affected many people negatively

THIS COUNTRY IS HELL
WE LIVE IN HELL

Ahh I like this. It's pretty much true. It's how I've felt for years just generally about western society. The UK doesn't fall far behind. Narcissism is a plague that is going to wreck this planet even more.

This is why I like going to Turkey/Morocco etc. Totally different way of life out there, far less narcissists. Generally more empathetic, people actually willing to help each other rather than compete.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 10:15 pm

We had the same sort of thing, here in Australia, last summer.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 11:35 pm

Here where I live, we've been socked under smoke. It's stunk at times. The only upside is that it helps keep temperatures down by blocking much of the sun's rays:

That red dot in the sky there? That's the sun. It looks like the moon if it were red.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 11:48 pm

beneficii wrote:
Here where I live, we've been socked under smoke. It's stunk at times. The only upside is that it helps keep temperatures down by blocking much of the sun's rays:

That red dot in the sky there? That's the sun. It looks like the moon if it were red.

Just as I saw the sun today.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 7:27 pm

The skies are so smoky here that Metro Vancouver has The Worst air quality In The World right now. There’s fine ash all over every car.

I’m working by myself on a project rn but there are open doors and windows so I’m wearing a P100 respirator. The air quality advisory yesterday said not to go outdoors unless absolutely necessary, and if you are outside not to do any strenuous activities.

We’ve had advisories like this during our own fire season in 2017/2018 but not from fires in the USA. Although both are about the same distance away, just different directions, and I suppose it just depends on the wind, too.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 9:11 pm

One of the biggest fires in my area is 61% contained; the courage and self sacrifice of our firefighters is unbelievable;
Their bravery and dedication is comparable to those who risked their lives going INTO the wreckage of the World Trade Center searching for survivors.
As disappointed and fed up as I frequently am by humanity in general, the people who fought the fires, evacuated people, rescued pets and farm/ranch animals, who took in families and animals, who gathered food and supplies for evacuees has amazed me!
I have seen so very much genuine true caring, from the heart!

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 10:03 pm

Misslizard wrote:

Where at in Humboldt?
The air is awful. It's just insanely smoky. The other morning I woke up early and went to the store, I was kind of amazed at how thick the fog was. I knew it wasn't all fog, but couldn't really smell the smoke at the time. Later in the day the marine layer burned off and it seemed like it was maybe 20% fog and about 80% smoke. Burns my eyes to be out in it.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 10:26 pm

In the mornings, there is ash on everything.
Sound odd to say, but it is a good thing that we are wearing filtering masks outside; they are keeping a LOT of fire debris out of our lungs!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 10:39 pm

Sylkat wrote:
In the mornings, there is ash on everything.
Sound odd to say, but it is a good thing that we are wearing filtering masks outside; they are keeping a LOT of fire debris out of our lungs!

We had ash everywhere last summer also.
It was hard to breathe, at times then also.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 8:13 am

Armed Oregonians set up illegal roadblocks as wildfire conspiracies spread

Quote:
Armed residents in Oregon set up roadblocks and told people to show their identification after someone started a blaze with fireworks, authorities said.

Multnomah County Sheriff Mike Reese said Saturday that a small fire was started “intentionally” near Corbett.

“Soon after, we started receiving reports of local residents establishing roadblocks in East Multnomah County,” Reese said.

“Deputies responded to reports some people were armed and asking for identification of the folks they stopped. We told people engaging in this behavior that roadways are open to all users, and their actions are illegal and they could be subject to citation or arrest.”

Reese said the fire “remains under investigation.”

The news came as conspiracies have popped up across the state that members of the far-left radical group Antifa or “extremists” are starting the fires.

The FBI has said there’s no evidence that any group has been behind the blazes, which have killed at least 10 people in the state.

“FBI Portland and local law enforcement agencies have been receiving reports that extremists are responsible for setting wildfires in Oregon,” the FBI said in a statement.

“With our state and local partners, the FBI has investigated several such reports and found them to be untrue. Conspiracy theories and misinformation take valuable resources away local fire and police agencies working around the clock to bring these fires under control.”

There were similar claims shot down by various local law enforcement agencies throughout the state.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office said it had become “overrun” with inquiries on “an UNTRUE rumor that 6 Antifa members have been arrested for setting fires.”

“THIS IS NOT TRUE! Unfortunately, people are spreading this rumor and it is causing problems,” the agency said on Facebook.

More than 100 miles away in Jackson County, authorities also grappled with the same problem.

“We are inundated with questions about things that are FAKE stories. One example is a story circulating that varies about what group is involved as to setting fires and arrests being made,” Jackson County Sheriff’s Office said in a Facebook post.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 11:49 am

Visibility driving home last night was down to 50’ in some areas.

It wasn’t All from the wildfires, though. There was a HUGE 4 alarm fire at a historic pier in New Westminster last night that destroyed the pier and adjoining buildings.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/09/14 ... 1v1sElmIv4

Tons better pics and vids on Facebook if you search for Pier Park fire New Westminster.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 1:05 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Where at in Humboldt?
The air is awful. It's just insanely smoky. The other morning I woke up early and went to the store, I was kind of amazed at how thick the fog was. I knew it wasn't all fog, but couldn't really smell the smoke at the time. Later in the day the marine layer burned off and it seemed like it was maybe 20% fog and about 80% smoke. Burns my eyes to be out in it.

Eureka.The smoke even made it here.I had the creepy orange sun yesterday evening.
https://weather.com/news/weather/video/ ... o-arkansas