Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,245
Location: Seattle-ish

07 Oct 2022, 5:02 am

Uh oh, I thought we were all assured this stuff was entirely Russian disinformation:

Federal agents see chargeable tax, gun-purchase case against Hunter Biden

Quote:
Federal agents investigating President Biden’s son Hunter have gathered what they believe is sufficient evidence to charge him with tax crimes and a false statement related to a gun purchase, according to people familiar with the case. The next step is for the U.S. Attorney in Delaware, a Trump administration holdover, to decide on whether to file such charges, these people said.

The investigation into Hunter Biden began in 2018, and became a central focus for then-president Donald Trump during his unsuccessful 2020 reelection effort. Initially, the investigation centered around Hunter Biden’s finances related to overseas business ties and consulting work. Over time, investigators with multiple agencies focused closely on whether he did not report all of his income, and whether he lied on gun purchase paperwork in 2018, according to the people familiar with the situation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing case.

Agents determined months ago they had assembled a viable criminal case against the younger Biden. But it is ultimately up to prosecutors at the Justice Department, not agents, to decide whether to file charges in cases where prosecutors believe the evidence is strong enough to lead to a likely conviction at trial.

Given the intense political interest in a criminal probe involving the son of a sitting president, Attorney General Merrick Garland has made clear that the U.S. Attorney in Delaware, David C. Weiss, who was nominated by Trump in late 2017, is supervising the case.

Garland has vowed there will be no political or otherwise improper interference in the Hunter Biden case, and has not moved to push Weiss to make a decision, the people familiar with the matter said. It is not uncommon for Justice Department investigations to take years to finish. Justice Department policy would require any criminal tax charges to be approved by the department’s tax division.

A spokeswoman for Weiss declined to comment, as did spokespeople for the Justice Department, and the FBI and the IRS, the two primary investigative agencies.

Asked about the case, Chris Clark, a lawyer for Hunter Biden, accused investigators of leaking information. “It is a federal felony for a federal agent to leak information about a Grand Jury investigation such as this one,” Clark said in a written statement. "Any agent you cite as a source in your article apparently has committed such a felony. We expect the Department of Justice will diligently investigate and prosecute such bad actors. As is proper and legally required, we believe the prosecutors in this case are diligently and thoroughly weighing not just evidence provided by agents, but also all the other witnesses in this case, including witnesses for the defense. That is the job of the prosecutors. They should not be pressured, rushed, or criticized for doing their job.”

Inside Hunter Biden's multi-million-dollar deals with a Chinese energy company

Any charging decision involving the Biden case is especially fraught because Trump and his allies have made accusations of corruption in Hunter Biden’s business dealings a key line of attack against Democrats, both before and after the 2020 presidential race. At the height of the election campaign, Trump allies revealed that a Delaware computer shop owner had turned over to the FBI a laptop that had apparently belonged to Hunter Biden. Trump and others argued the data on the laptop showed evidence of unethical and possible illegal business deals; Joe Biden and his supporters denounced the efforts as a smear.

In March, The Washington Post reported that two computer security experts had reviewed thousands of the emails purportedly from Hunter Biden’s computer and found they were authentic communications, based on cryptographic signatures from Google and other technology companies. It could not be determined for this article whether the laptop and its contents were useful in the Justice Department investigation.

The Biden probe has proceeded with relatively little fanfare in recent months amid the much larger and more public Justice Department and FBI investigation into whether Trump mishandled classified material at Mar-a-Lago — and a separate federal investigation into efforts to overturn the 2020 election results. Trump and his allies have sharply criticized federal law enforcement over both those cases.

Questions about the younger Biden’s foreign business ventures have long dogged his father’s political life. Trump and his GOP allies specifically cite as ethical conflicts Hunter Biden’s past work for a Ukrainian gas company while his father was vice president, as well as his China-related business affairs. In a July 2019 phone call, Trump urged Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate both Joe and Hunter Biden — part of a pressure campaign that led to the first of Trump’s two impeachment trials in Congress.

In December 2020 federal agents sought to interview the younger Biden, leading him to publicly acknowledge that he was under investigation. “I take this matter very seriously but I am confident that a professional and objective review of these matters will demonstrate that I handled my affairs legally and appropriately, including with the benefit of professional tax advisors,” Hunter Biden said in a statement at that time.

Clark, Hunter Biden’s lawyer, said in his statement Thursday that he has “had no contact whatsoever with any federal investigative agent. Therefore, a rendition of the case from such an ‘agent’ is inherently biased, one-sided, and inaccurate. It is regrettable that law enforcement agents appear to be violating the law to prejudice a case against a person who is a target simply because of his family name.”

Republicans have pressed the Biden administration to appoint a special counsel to take over the investigation into the president’s son, arguing the step was needed to ensure public confidence in the probe’s outcome. Under Justice Department regulations, any special counsel would still answer to the attorney general, however. Garland chose not to make such an appointment, instead keeping the case with Weiss, whose previous career as a federal prosecutor stretches back decades and includes violent crime and white-collar cases.

In the early days of the Biden administration, a Justice Department official said removing Weiss as U.S. Attorney as he was overseeing the Hunter Biden case would likely spark significant political backlash.

Biden will ask Trump's U.S. attorneys to step down, with a few exceptions

In April, after White House chief of staff Ron Klain said Biden “is confident that his son didn’t break the law,” Garland was asked at a Senate hearing about how the Justice Department is handling the case.

Weiss “is in charge of that investigation. There will not be interference of any political or improper kind,” Garland answered. “We put the investigation in the hands of a Trump appointee from the previous administration.”

The primary focus of the tax investigation has been whether Hunter Biden did not declare income related to his various business ventures, including overseas. The gun paperwork part of the investigation stems from 2018, a time period in which Hunter Biden, by his own account, was smoking crack cocaine.

In October of that year, Biden purchased a handgun, filling out a federal form in which he allegedly answered “no” to the question whether he was “an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?”

According to a book Hunter Biden later wrote about his struggles with substance abuse, he was using drugs heavily that year.

Prosecutions for false statements on gun-purchase forms are relatively rare, but they do happen. Federal agents refer to such cases as “lying and buying.” Historically, prosecutors have significant discretion to decide which ones are worth federal resources.

“A prosecutor can say they have bigger fish to catch, or they can decide to seek a deal,” said Joseph G. Green, a retired agent from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. “As agents, we would always include as many charges as we could, but it’s ultimately up to the prosecutor to decide which ones they will bring.”


I'm particularly interested in that gun charge, as while I consider the underlying law to be unconstitutional ("shall not be infringed" does not have an "unless you use drugs" clause), it's a federal felony carrying a potentially stiff sentence, and the irony of a lifelong gun controller like Joe Biden having to lock up his son on a gun charge would be just too good.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,496
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

07 Oct 2022, 7:19 am

His 2nd Amendment rights were violated and not a shred of empathy?


_________________
My WP story


stratozyck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 28 Jun 2022
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 133
Location: US

07 Oct 2022, 9:04 am

You set up a straw man and knocked it down.

1) No Biden voter I know if thinks he shouldn't serve time if he broke the law!
2) Our argument was that you were focusing on Hunter Biden to distract from Trump. Hunter Biden is not part of the administration. Not once was anyone saying "nah Hunter Biden is a great guy and people are slandering him."

Hunter Biden wasn't on the ballot. We didn't vote for Hunter Biden.

Your whole argument seems to be "the father must be corrupt because his son is!"

He's just another piece of crap grifter trying to make money off of his father's fame. That is common across politics, worldwide. Biden didn't put him in his administration.

Its pathetic how people really try to grasp at ANYTHING to justify supporting Trump and the modern GOP. Election denialism is flat out dangerous and threatens the country, but by all means lets obsess about Hunter Biden.

So you want to get him for using drugs and owning guns? My Trump loving neighbor smokes pot and owns tons of guns. We live in a state where its illegal too. So he is obessing about this too - but dude guess what he might go to jail for? What you are doing!!



Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2021
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,741
Location: US

07 Oct 2022, 9:56 am

Not liking Biden doesn't automatically make someone pro-trump. That's another game that's being played; if you're not on Biden and the democrats side, you must be one of those evil Trump worshiping MAGAs.



MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,496
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

07 Oct 2022, 10:00 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Not liking Biden doesn't automatically make someone pro-trump. That's another game that's being played; if you're not on Biden and the democrats side, you must be one of those evil Trump worshiping MAGAs.

What happens is people spout MAGA talking points then deny supporting Trump when put to the question.

EDIT and get all butt-hurt about being "misunderstood" poor babies!


_________________
My WP story


Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2021
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,741
Location: US

07 Oct 2022, 10:16 am

MaxE wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Not liking Biden doesn't automatically make someone pro-trump. That's another game that's being played; if you're not on Biden and the democrats side, you must be one of those evil Trump worshiping MAGAs.

What happens is people spout MAGA talking points then deny supporting Trump when put to the question.

EDIT and get all butt-hurt about being "misunderstood" poor babies!

It seems to me close to anything that goes against the grain of democrat, liberal, woke is supposed to be "MAGA talking points".



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,669
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

07 Oct 2022, 11:20 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Not liking Biden doesn't automatically make someone pro-trump. That's another game that's being played; if you're not on Biden and the democrats side, you must be one of those evil Trump worshiping MAGAs.

What happens is people spout MAGA talking points then deny supporting Trump when put to the question.

EDIT and get all butt-hurt about being "misunderstood" poor babies!

It seems to me close to anything that goes against the grain of democrat, liberal, woke is supposed to be "MAGA talking points".


Such as? like what are some of these non MAGA talking points people are wrongly accused of being MAGAs for posting.


_________________
We won't go back.


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,496
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

07 Oct 2022, 11:25 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Not liking Biden doesn't automatically make someone pro-trump. That's another game that's being played; if you're not on Biden and the democrats side, you must be one of those evil Trump worshiping MAGAs.

What happens is people spout MAGA talking points then deny supporting Trump when put to the question.

EDIT and get all butt-hurt about being "misunderstood" poor babies!

It seems to me close to anything that goes against the grain of democrat, liberal, woke is supposed to be "MAGA talking points".


Such as? like what are some of these non MAGA talking points people are wrongly accused of being MAGAs for posting.

Pretty much anything about Hunter Biden is one example.


_________________
My WP story


Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2021
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,741
Location: US

07 Oct 2022, 2:13 pm

MaxE wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Not liking Biden doesn't automatically make someone pro-trump. That's another game that's being played; if you're not on Biden and the democrats side, you must be one of those evil Trump worshiping MAGAs.

What happens is people spout MAGA talking points then deny supporting Trump when put to the question.

EDIT and get all butt-hurt about being "misunderstood" poor babies!

It seems to me close to anything that goes against the grain of democrat, liberal, woke is supposed to be "MAGA talking points".


Such as? like what are some of these non MAGA talking points people are wrongly accused of being MAGAs for posting.

Pretty much anything about Hunter Biden is one example.

Hunter Biden, Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Adam Schiff, AOC etc.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,953
Location: Queens, NYC

07 Oct 2022, 2:53 pm

If Hunter Biden did something wrong, he should be punished for it.

I don't believe the father should suffer because of the sins of the son.



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,184
Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

07 Oct 2022, 3:26 pm

That's the best news I've read in weeks. I hope they dig up his laptop and use the evidence against him. I also think that Biden should be impeached and sent to a care home.


_________________
Oberfeldwebel

Age: 48
Gender: Non-Binary
Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,245
Location: Seattle-ish

07 Oct 2022, 4:38 pm

MaxE wrote:
His 2nd Amendment rights were violated and not a shred of empathy?


Nope, he's skated on enough felonies due to who his father is, and as said father is in the process of violating my 2nd Amendment rights, my well of sympathy has run dry.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,245
Location: Seattle-ish

07 Oct 2022, 4:40 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Such as? like what are some of these non MAGA talking points people are wrongly accused of being MAGAs for posting.


Literally any criticism of Biden and the Democratic party, the lib/prog cadre on this board is largely incapable of non-binary thinking when it comes to politics, if you don't fit into one of their two little boxes it upsets and confuses them and they'll try and make you fit into one.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,245
Location: Seattle-ish

07 Oct 2022, 4:57 pm

stratozyck wrote:
You set up a straw man and knocked it down.


What are you even talking about? I didn't even make an argument in this thread, which is usually a prerequisite to making a straw man argument.

stratozyck wrote:
1) No Biden voter I know if thinks he shouldn't serve time if he broke the law!


You know all of his voters, or at least enough of them to draw a valid conclusion about the rest?

stratozyck wrote:
2) Our argument was that you were focusing on Hunter Biden to distract from Trump. Hunter Biden is not part of the administration. Not once was anyone saying "nah Hunter Biden is a great guy and people are slandering him."


Who is this "you" and "our" that you're referring to? Do you have me confused with another poster?

I'm interested in Hunter Biden due to the suppression of stories about him during the 2020 election, which we now know was the product of both government pressure and partisanship in the media, along with the social media companies essentially not wanting to get blamed for another Trump victory; the fact that Joe Biden may be implicated in his corruption ("10% for the big guy") is just gravy, and demolishes your "Hunter Biden isn't on the ballot!" dodge.

stratozyck wrote:
Hunter Biden wasn't on the ballot. We didn't vote for Hunter Biden.


See above. You just voted for his possibly corrupt father, and didn't even want to know if he was crooked.

stratozyck wrote:
Your whole argument seems to be "the father must be corrupt because his son is!"


See above.

stratozyck wrote:
He's just another piece of crap grifter trying to make money off of his father's fame. That is common across politics, worldwide. Biden didn't put him in his administration.


Boy, you're sure protesting a lot. Also, see above.

stratozyck wrote:
Its pathetic how people really try to grasp at ANYTHING to justify supporting Trump and the modern GOP. Election denialism is flat out dangerous and threatens the country, but by all means lets obsess about Hunter Biden.


Good thing I don't support Trump or election denial then; are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else?

stratozyck wrote:
So you want to get him for using drugs and owning guns? My Trump loving neighbor smokes pot and owns tons of guns. We live in a state where its illegal too. So he is obessing about this too - but dude guess what he might go to jail for? What you are doing!!


I want a real investigation into his overseas business dealings, and whether or not his father was a beneficiary of them or was merely the name he dropped to bamboozle people into paying him for imaginary work. Regardless of how I personally feel about the prohibition on illegal drug users buying and owning firearms, it's the law, and a law that his father is a major proponent of, so locking up his son for flagrantly violating that law is a sort of poetic justice in my mind. He couldn't even pardon him without looking like a massive hypocrite either, gun control for thee but not for me, quite the quandary for him.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,368
Location: temperate zone

07 Oct 2022, 6:57 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Not liking Biden doesn't automatically make someone pro-trump. That's another game that's being played; if you're not on Biden and the democrats side, you must be one of those evil Trump worshiping MAGAs.


Dude...youre the one who insisted that we all play that game!

Biden himself divided up the GOP into the old kind (who believe in democracy), and the new MAGA kind 'who are threat to democracy'.

And youre the one who twisted his words and got all offended that Biden said that YOU are a threat to democracy implying that you, and ALL GOPers, are all one and the same, and you are all MAGA types. :lol:

But then you always change your story and say that you "dont support Trump".

But then you get all upset when you see most American bash Trump. So upset that you have the rest of us afraid to mention Trump's name for fear that it will upset you. :lol:

So you walk and quack like a Trump supporter, but ...are not one. If you say so. :)

But also SOME/MANY/MOST folks who harp on Hunter do so because they ARE MAGA Trump apologists. Do so in a desperate attempt to equate Hunter's laptop with the MarALago fiasco. Trouble is that the two cases are not the same. Hunter cooperated, and gave up his laptop to the Feds. Trump is not cooperating.

Youre "being binary" yourself by claiming that NO one who ever mentions Hunter is pro Trump.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,856
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

09 Oct 2022, 12:52 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That's the best news I've read in weeks. I hope they dig up his laptop and use the evidence against him. I also think that Biden should be impeached and sent to a care home.

Impeached for what high crime and misdemeanour?


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.