Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 9:06 pm

I don’t know... I find geese pretty threatening.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 8:07 am

My current cat Fraidy Cat, did something strange. It caught a bird. I went outside and found the cat and a bird sitting patiently about a foot away. Now I do not really think that he caught it. The bird probably was flying and ran into something and fell to the ground completely out of balance.

So I approached the bird and placed myself between the bird and the cat. I petted the cat and at the same time moved close to the bird with the other hand. The bird gathered all its energy and tried to fly away. It moved about 3 feet and crash landed. So I petted the cat and waited. In less then 2 minutes, the bird tried again and this time it was able to travel far enough that it was out of sight.

The cat looked around. "What happened to the Bird?" It looked at me and I just petted the cat and told him congratulations on catching a bird.

utterly absurd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2024, 6:08 pm

I have two cats. One is very overweight despite often not even getting up to eat and she is terrified of the garbage truck.
The other is very thin despite constantly stealing human food and he is not afraid of anything and is always trying to get outside.
I've had several rats as well--they're misunderstood but great animals. Sadly though they don't live very long.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 7:32 pm

A small black cat.

I once knew a man who had a pet pig called Rasher.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2024, 7:50 pm

Lots of spiders and a small rat which occasionally appears in my kitchen and living room.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 8:47 am

From my perspective, Aspies, may view animals very differently than many NTs. We share a closer relationship. Many times even animals that are shunned by other humans, we can develop a friendship with.

I recall as a small child of 3 or 4, collecting a den of snakes. I would travel the depths of the deep forest behind my home and live with all the wild animals for hours and hours. I was fearless.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 8:53 am

I currently have two dogs and tortoise. I consider some of the animals that frequent my garden to be friends, although some of them clearly don't feel the same. The hedgehog for example seems ambivalent. The robins are very attentive, but the woodpecker disappears when he sees me coming. There are rodents around; rats, mice and shrews, which I shouldn't encourage but I like them too.

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Apr 2024, 11:53 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I have a cat, she is over 15 years old now. My other cat died a few years ago.

Some people think cats can give you schizophrenia. But I think some people with mental illness or autism are just more likely to get cats for pets because they're not as high-maintenance, and cats are often misunderstood which makes them more relatable . Also the USA is statistically one of the few countries in the world where dogs are more popular than cats as pets. So does that mean schizophrenia is worse in most other countries? :?

When I had my cat I swear she actually lowered my anxiety.

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2024, 10:01 am

Right now, I don’t have any pets of my own but my parents have a cat. I’m preparing for my garter snake, though.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 3:34 am

None as of now but like a year ago, I used to keep some fish (black mollies) in a fish tank :)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 6:03 am

Rossall wrote:
Lots of spiders and a small rat which occasionally appears in my kitchen and living room.

Aw there was a little spider climbing on my dehumidifier in my bathroom the other day. I tried to make it climb on my hand but it mustn't have liked my smell or something because it kept going the other way.

I just let it be in the end and I've not seen or heard from it since

Punkrockfan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2024, 7:49 am

I have a black cat with a little bit of white fur. I guess technically, he's a Tuxedo cat. I love him a lot.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 11:40 am

One of the more famous autistic is Temple Grandin.

That is just part of what Grandin, now a professor of animal science at Colorado State University, shared in her recent conversation with Megan Mueller, the Elizabeth Arnold Stevens Junior Professor at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine.

In this episode, Grandin shares how growing up with autism helped her understand the different ways animals experience the world, why she believes we need to fix how we socialize with dogs, and some of the most important lessons she’s learned over her pioneering career. Let’s listen in.

MEGAN MUELLER: Dr. Grandin, as a woman with autism, you’re also spokesperson for neuro-diverse individuals. Can you tell us a little bit more about when you first knew you wanted to work with animals and how you knew you wanted to work with animals?

TEMPLE GRANDIN: This gets to the really important thing, that students have to be exposed to things in order to get interested. I’m an Easterner originally. I was not exposed to livestock until I went to a boarding school when I was fourteen. We had a twelve-cow dairy. Then, when I was fifteen, I went to my aunt’s ranch in Arizona, got exposed to the beef industry. And when you get exposed to things, you’re going to find out what you like. You also might find out what you hate. So, I’m going to tell all students: do internships. Try on different careers. Try on stuff. Find out what you like. Find out what you don’t like.

MUELLER: That’s great—that’s great advice. How would you describe your relationship with animals now?

GRANDIN: Well, when I first started working with animals, I started looking at what cattle were seeing when they went through chutes. And at the time, I didn’t know that I was a visual thinker, that other people tended not to see these things. But it was obvious to me and I found if you take the distractions out of a facility—whether it’s a vaccinating facility or a meat plant—they go through the facility more easily.

Animals are sensory-based thinkers; they’re not word thinkers. It’s all about what they see, what they hear, the tone of the voice. They can tell whether it’s happy or whether it’s angry by the tone of the voice. It’s a sensory-based world; it’s not a word-based world. Get away from verbal language, then you’ll start to understand animals.

-----------------------------

So what is the bottom line here. Individual with autism (whether picture thinkers or word thinker) can relate to animals from a very different communication route then NTs. They become our friends. This is a skill set. We can learn to communicate with them using their skill sets rather then forcing them to communicate using human speech.

Bottom line: It is very advantageous for Autistic to have animals as friends.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 1:08 pm

The old cat that was given to me, has begun to portray kindness. He is always looking out for my arrival. When he sees me he comes out of hiding and wants to be petted. Every time he moves his head toward my hand and makes a hum. He finds joy in being petted.

Here is a man who knows how to make friends with cats.