Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 11:02 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
That does make sense, so yeah I could see humans reacting violently to the Orca...but there could also be ways that don't harm the Orca to get them to stop attacking boats. So, I suppose I hope a solution that doesn't involve killing the Orca can be figured out before it comes to that.

Also I don't know why I care so much about Orcas I have never actually seen one in real life, but I did pet a sea lion once....maybe it wasn't very smart but I was on a vacation to california with my family and well the sea loin was just sitting and chilling so I got close and it didn't seem to mind so at one point I did reach out to pet it, and it had rough fur but did not seem to be bothered by me. But even so I left it alone after that and continued walking further on the beach. But then when we were headed back there were a bunch of teens trying to sit on the sea lion and just harrasing it....so it went into the water and threw water back at them with enough force to knock a few of them over, but it didn't try to bite or otherwise harm any of them.

I try to always remember that seals and sea lions are basically bears with flippers and would give them a suitable berth based on that understanding. :nerdy:

I agree, I'd hope a relatively non-invasive solution exists and can be put into place, if not I hope the fad passes because it's on par with when humans try to get selfies with baby grizzlies and bison. Humans and orcas share something in common, we rarely encounter animals that genuinely pose a threat to our well-being, we're used to being untouchable in our environments and that can lead to dumb behaviour like those teenagers or like these murder dolphins.

It seems like fun because a full threat assessment hasn't been done. When they realize that thing can cause my loved ones to mourn if I f**k with it they tend to reconsider, hopefully that'll be before the finding out stage begins. That goes for all of the bored, fun-seeking teenagers involved, human and orca alike.