Corpse Flower blooming in Fort Collins Coloraodo.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 8:13 pm

I live close enough to go see it, I guess the CSU has a plant conservatory. But yeah the corpse flower is named cosmo and it's blooming for the first time.

I kind of wonder how bad it will smell, as its supposed to smell a bit like the name suggests. You can see a livestream of it here if you want, looks like it is starting to bloom. So yeah, tomorrow I will experience the stench.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 2:31 am

Hold your nose... tightly. Or invest in a clothes pin in order to keep your hands free.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 12:24 pm

We had one in Houston about 20 years ago. Plus they spoofed it on the Simpsons about that time as well.

I didn't get to see it, but since I've lived near oil refineries all my life, I figured I wouldn't have missed much.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 12:44 pm

Fifty gazillion carrion flies cant be wrong...about what constitutes an attractive fragrance! :D
Get with the program!

Most insects (butterflies and bees etc) are oddly similar to humans in their taste in fragrance. So flowers put out sweet scents to attract them. Fragrances that we happened to like too.

But the corpse flower goes for a different "demographic" in the insect world: carrion feeders. But the end is the same...to further the plant spreading pollen.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2024, 12:23 pm

I have a Monster High doll character named Amanita Nightshade, who was born from a Corpse Flower. Which may be why she doesn't have a very pleasant personality. She is very vain and has a habit of "borrowing" people's things and disappearing.