Why Satanists may be the last, best hope to save abortion..

Page 10 of 14 [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 10:21 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Lots of Pro Satanist sentiment on this thread.
Well, good luck with that.

Satan shmaton. Like I said these Satanists are of the atheistic type who view the Devil as a sexy cool mascot and not a real being. They see Satan as a figurehead representing selfishness, hedonism, and doing your own thing.

I am NOT a Satanist just so you guys know.

Paganism and Satanism are two completely different things contrary to popular opinion. Paganism is what Christians used to call ANY religion that was percieved as a non-Christian religion and to be a Pagan or Heretic was a crime punishable by death.

It had nothing to do with Devil Worship because these people who worshipped the old gods like Zues, Isis, and Odin did not even believe in the devil as that is purely a Christian invention.

Not that any Trump-worshipping right wing fundies will give a s**t about historic facts of course. :roll:

The occult is one of my special interests. Trust me I know that paganism and Satanism are two different things.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 10:32 pm

Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Lots of Pro Satanist sentiment on this thread.
Well, good luck with that.

Satan shmaton. Like I said these Satanists are of the atheistic type who view the Devil as a sexy cool mascot and not a real being. They see Satan as a figurehead representing selfishness, hedonism, and doing your own thing.

I am NOT a Satanist just so you guys know.

Paganism and Satanism are two completely different things contrary to popular opinion. Paganism is what Christians used to call ANY religion that was percieved as a non-Christian religion and to be a Pagan or Heretic was a crime punishable by death.

It had nothing to do with Devil Worship because these people who worshipped the old gods like Zues, Isis, and Odin did not even believe in the devil as that is purely a Christian invention.

Not that any Trump-worshipping right wing fundies will give a s**t about historic facts of course. :roll:

The occult is one of my special interests. Trust me I know that paganism and Satanism are two different things.

I'm glad because most people in this country dont believe there is a difference. :heart:

♤ The Military

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 12:58 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I consider every baby a gift from Jesus.

I feel the same way. There's no respect for human life anymore.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 1:02 am

I also think that all unmarried people should go on a sex strike. That would really cut down on the number of abortions.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 1:11 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I feel the same way. There's no respect for human life anymore.

Tell that to the people living in countries torn apart by war.

♤ The Military

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 1:49 am

Axeman wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Most religions are guilty of that.

The Buddhists aren't doing too great in Myanmar at the moment.

Still Buddhists have not successfully conquered most of the world the way European Missonaries have.

Maybe I am very anti-religion. I'm not exactly an atheist though, if anything I'm an omnist who leans more towards the spiritual movement known as neo paganism.

Today's pagans have no real power over the world (because Christians destroyed them) so they are not going to abuse their power and form a theocracy anytime soon.

Most of Christianity today is pagan and the Christians don't even realize it. Why do you think Christmas is so close to the winter solstice? Nearly all of the seasonal holidays celebrated by European Christians are pagan in origin.

There is some evidence that the Jewish Yahweh (the god of the bible) was borrowed from the Indo-European storm god around 1500BC. The biggest irony is that the pagan Odin and biblical Yahweh are actually the same :lol:

Same deity....different window dressing

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Sep 2021, 4:34 am

Midianites rather weren't Indoeuropean.
The oldest mention of YHWH in archeological record: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shasu#Shasu_of_Yhw
"Shasu" were generally Semitic, not Indo-European.

Then, gods evolve, just like any other ideas. It's hard to say "the same" of something that evolved differently, even if the origins were the same.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Sep 2021, 5:36 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
A cross to carry? Makes sense.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 7:22 am

magz wrote:
The oldest mention of YHWH in archeological record: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shasu#Shasu_of_Yhw

Then, gods evolve, just like any other ideas. It's hard to say "the same" of something that evolved differently, even if the origins were the same.

Depends who you read. The Midianite god Shasu as the precursor is supported by some scholars.

There are also numerous scholars who find evidence the wandering Hebrews interacted with Indo-European tribes borrowing elements of Indra the storm and war god which makes sense since pastoral nomads were subject to the elements (storms/thunder) and engaged in war, Like the Indo-Europeans the hebrews were not averse to attacking other walled civilisations like raiders invoking Yahweh who struck down (smote) their enemies with lightning like Indra/Zeus/Jupiter/Thor/odin.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 7:24 am

magz wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
A cross to carry? Makes sense.

Male patriarchal religion....I doubt it

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Sep 2021, 7:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:

Depends who you read. The Midianite god Shasu as the precursor is supported by some scholars.

There are also numerous scholars who find evidence the wandering Hebrews interacted with Indo-European tribes borrowing elements of Indra the storm and war god which makes sense since pastoral nomads were subject to the elements (storms/thunder) and engaged in war, Like the Indo-Europeans the hebrews were not averse to attacking other walled civilisations like raiders invoking Yahweh who struck down (smote) their enemies with lightning like Indra/Zeus/Jupiter/Thor/odin.

It can be as well convergent evolution of gods ;)
BTW, Odin wasn't the god of thunder.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 7:28 am

Thor is the god of thunder. Odin is the "head of all the gods," if I'm not mistaken.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 7:29 am

magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:

I think YHWH was supreme god for the Hebrews but their domicile in Egypt and exposure to Akehanaton's monotheism might have made him into the one and only sky god.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 7:30 am

magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:

Odin/Thor

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 7:31 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Thor is the god of thunder. Odin is the "head of all the gods," if I'm not mistaken.

In the TV series vikings he (Odin) wears a hat

Looks like Gandolph

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Sep 2021, 7:36 am

There is doubt weather the Exodus indeed happened in geographical sense. It could have been just a political event - just before the Late Bronze Age Collapse, Egypt ruled in Levant.
Egyptian monotheism of Aton was brief and short-living. It might have been an expression of an idea that was circulating in the region before taking the more defined form of Hebrew monotheism.