Page 2 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2012, 11:04 am

Right now, I'm really glad I have no ties to the state of Missouri.

Legitimate rape??? WTF??? As Obama says, "Rape is rape."

According to Akin, we women have some kind of superpowers that allows us to turn off the fertility switch on cue. I'll admit, I've seen plenty of instances of this sort of logic exercised. Granted, most people I've seen exercising this sort of magical reasoning are about five years old. That level of reasoning is appropriate for someone that age.

On the other hand, an adult exercising that reasoning -- moreover a congessman who's meant to represent the interests of his consitituents, that's extremely wrong and disturbing.

I know this would be highly unlikely at this juncture (thankfully), but if Akin were to somehow win this election, that would effectively destroy the little faith I have left in the human race.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm

The idea that pregnancy implies that sex was consensual is absurd! It is disturbing that such people know so little about women's bodies. Things must be very simple in their world.
I think beliefs like this come out of a desperation to come up with reasons not to abort a fetus. I feel bad that they think people are being killed willy nilly, but women need to be able to decide for themselves if they will use their body to bring another life into the world, especially when it is the result of rape.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 8:13 pm

how could any missourian female vote for this maroon? a fair number of missouri women interviewed at the time said they still would vote for him. :duh:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 10:43 pm

auntblabby wrote:
how could any missourian female vote for this maroon? a fair number of missouri women interviewed at the time said they still would vote for him. :duh:

I guess they hold their conservative religious and political opinions higher than they do over what should be their outrage over his ignorant statements about rape.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 11:33 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I guess they hold their conservative religious and political opinions higher than they do over what should be their outrage over his ignorant statements about rape.

this would be an example of "cutting off one's nose to spite one's face." IOW they hold fast to their anti-sex-league/tea party opinions just to make sure their neighbors are similarly sex-deprived as themselves and that the people that live on the wrong side of the tracks stay put in their squalor, and [god forbid] should any of their daughters get knocked up by some guys from the wrong side of said tracks, well, let's just see how well their false ethics would hold up at that point.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 6:14 am

John_Browning wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Missouri Republican congressman and senatorial hopeful Tod Akin has recently claimed that if a rape is legitimate, the woman's body will cause the pregnancy to shut down. And yes, he said this in a public interview. His argument seemingly being that women who seek abortions after rape or incest are lying, and should carry the fetus to term.
Despite the hue and cry from conservative luminaries such as Rush Limbaugh and John Boehner for Akin to step down from his race, and allow a candidate who now stands a snow balls chance of winning to replace him, others such as Steve King, Republican senator of Iowa, and former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee are standing by their man. King has even stated that he's never heard of anyone becoming pregnant from statutory rape.
If anyone wants to blast these troglodytes, please feel free. If anyone can justify their lunacy, I'd really like to read your response.

I saw this a few days ago. The entire republican party is doing a facepalm over this one.

That's funny since he was basically stating the party's position.

Republican Party Plank

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

23 Aug 2012, 11:44 am

apparently this is the republican party's viewpoint on rape according to legislative records

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/21/opinion/g ... index.html

The only reason republicans are pushing Akin away is for drawing so much media attention to something they been quietly working on, in fact there has been 1000 bills this past year around the country to this effect. As pointed out in the article how many bills have been for jobs/economy? It is not till Akin opened his mouth and stated what they all been legislating and literally disgusted the world, did his party shun him.

hypocrits.

Jojo

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 1:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
King has even stated that he's never heard of anyone becoming pregnant from statutory rape.

I did and I'm sure many other pregnant teenagers have. In some states the age of consent is as high as 18 so any girl younger than that who is having sex with an adult man can easily get pregnant.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

28 Aug 2012, 8:57 pm

Wait, since when is rape legitimate? "Dude, that rape is totally LEGIT!". When is rape ever something a woman wants?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

28 Aug 2012, 11:19 pm

hanyo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
King has even stated that he's never heard of anyone becoming pregnant from statutory rape.

I did and I'm sure many other pregnant teenagers have. In some states the age of consent is as high as 18 so any girl younger than that who is having sex with an adult man can easily get pregnant.

In Georgia, the age on consent is 16. Some girls are known these days to start their period as early as 9 years old, however most are between 11-13...some late bloomers begin at 14, but that is rare. I have never known a girl to start their period at 17 years old.

King obviously is completely out of touch with reality to assume that an adult male cannot get a tween or teen pregnant. However, the truth of the matter is that he doesnt want to be seen as a cruel wingnut who wants to force rape victims to give birth to their rapist's child, so he paints himself as a fool instead.

Jojo

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 5:01 am

jojobean wrote:
hanyo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

In Georgia, the age on consent is 16. Some girls are known these days to start their period as early as 9 years old, however most are between 11-13...some late bloomers begin at 14, but that is rare. I have never known a girl to start their period at 17 years old.

King obviously is completely out of touch with reality to assume that an adult male cannot get a tween or teen pregnant. However, the truth of the matter is that he doesnt want to be seen as a cruel wingnut who wants to force rape victims to give birth to their rapist's child, so he paints himself as a fool instead.

Jojo

And he's painted himself as a fool very well, indeed! :lol:

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:52 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
jojobean wrote:
hanyo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Jojo

And he's painted himself as a fool very well, indeed! :lol:

Some are better at it than others :D

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:31 pm

Words completely fail me when I think of the stupidity of this guy. He is in serious need of a biology lesson in the female anatomy - fast!! !

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 5:25 pm

No, he needs a health class.

Y'know...like the kind they give to freshmen saying, "Hey kiddies, you'll get preggers if you have sex without birth control!"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 3:21 am

if there's any justice in that state, let's hope this is a "makaka" moment for akin. still, there's 2 months of this stuff left 2 go, so who's betting he'll still slide through in the end?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 4:26 am

auntblabby wrote:
if there's any justice in that state, let's hope this is a "makaka" moment for akin. still, there's 2 months of this stuff left 2 go, so who's betting he'll still slide through in the end?

I'm actually hoping he stays in the race, because there's a much greater chance the Republicans will lose come election day, allowing the Democrats to hold the senate.