Baltimore Activists: "Remove Robert E. Lee and.....

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 9:10 pm

ASPickle wrote:
...I am completely in agreement with removing the Confederate Battle Flag from government property (including license plates and state flags), on account of its connection to a country of traitors who fought to maintain the enslavement of "lesser" people. It can and has been construed as an endorsement of those ideals. It offends a large portion of the population. Like any religious monument, it has no place on government property.

A logical extension of this argument should be that monuments (such as these statues) to the men who fought for the CSA shouldn't be on public property, either. However, I'm not quite ready to make that leap yet. It seems like a bit of an overreach to remove these statues. At some point, we risk whitewashing history. To me, this is currently where I'd draw the line. Recognize the history, honor the men who lived it, but don't perpetuate the traitor flag by flying it on public property.

That said, I am open to arguments for either side.

I will let black civil-rights icon and former Mayor of Atlanta Andrew Young explain my opinion. He says that debate over the Confederate flag is a divisive non-issue which completely distracts from the real problem -- the fact that 93 percent of blacks are killed by other blacks.

Young is widely recognized as a prominent activist for the African-American civil rights movement, having been a personal friend and supporter of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., Ph.D. Young marched with King in Selma, Ala., and was with King when King was assassinated. He was also instrumental in pushing through the 1964 federal Civil Rights Act and 1965 federal Voting Rights Act.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 9:12 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
PA's too expensive----they've got some good "country" areas, there, too, though.....

Are you KIDDING Me? PA, the Land of taxes, expensive? I might believe Filthydelphia and SH!tsburgh being expensive, but not the rest of the state (except maybe Gettysburg, Harrisburg and Wilkes-Barre). I spend more money when I cross the Mason-Dixon Line into MD.

Welp, you've just named almost every town I've ever been to, in PA; so, that would be where I got the idea. LOL

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 9:22 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Raptor wrote:
The problem is that people like that actually can get thier way if they screech loud and shrill enough.

Yep----and, they're screeching all over the COUNTRY!!

I didn't even realize that they had defaced a statue, here, in Baltimore, as well----with, you guessed it, "Black Lives Matter"; so, NOW it's getting to the point that WHITE lives DON'T matter (as in, nobody's killin' us, but, obviously, our OPINIONS / desires, don't matter).

Maryland is a rather liberal state so anything like that is possible.

Tell me about it----ARRRRRRRRRGH!!

I swear----if Texas wasn't so friggin' hot, I'd be on the next plane, down there, so that when they secede, I could go WITH 'em!!

Even Va, W.Va., or Pa would be an improvement....

Yeah, that's true..... I absolutely LOVE way-down in VA (Charlottesville)----that's where I go camping----that's "country".

W.VA's good----especially "down-the-road", from Western MD (also very "country"), and the Ohio Valley.

PA's too expensive----they've got some good "country" areas, there, too, though.....

Are you KIDDING Me? PA, the Land of taxes, expensive? I might believe Filthydelphia and SH!tsburgh being expensive, but not the rest of the state (except maybe Gettysburg, Harrisburg and Wilkes-Barre). I spend more money when I cross the Mason-Dixon Line into MD.

Pittsburgh ain't bad. No one wants to live in Philly, though....

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2015, 11:25 am

I just posted this as a reply to another thread, but I think it fits here, too:

I feel like black people's anger is warranted these days. Sure, it's not productive for them to be as angry as they are, and their anger won't help them politically, but I can certainly understand it. Racism is still a huge issue here in the US, especially with the recent rash of black churches being burned down, Dylann Roof's massacre, and the way that police officers keep killing black people unjustly. Plus, there's a lot of casual racism these days, in terms of the way that white people refuse to even try to understand what it's like to be black in this day and age, and refuse to admit that they're privileged in ways that black people aren't. And the way that many white people want to keep flying the confederate flag, even knowing that it's hurtful to black people and they see it as a symbol of hatred, is practically like giving black people the middle finger. It's sad, the way that some white people seem to not even care at all about racism anymore. Society is not "post-racial" at all, no matter how much people would like to pretend it is.

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jul 2015, 11:41 am

AspieUtah wrote:
ASPickle wrote:
...I am completely in agreement with removing the Confederate Battle Flag from government property (including license plates and state flags), on account of its connection to a country of traitors who fought to maintain the enslavement of "lesser" people. It can and has been construed as an endorsement of those ideals. It offends a large portion of the population. Like any religious monument, it has no place on government property.

A logical extension of this argument should be that monuments (such as these statues) to the men who fought for the CSA shouldn't be on public property, either. However, I'm not quite ready to make that leap yet. It seems like a bit of an overreach to remove these statues. At some point, we risk whitewashing history. To me, this is currently where I'd draw the line. Recognize the history, honor the men who lived it, but don't perpetuate the traitor flag by flying it on public property.

That said, I am open to arguments for either side.

I will let black civil-rights icon and former Mayor of Atlanta Andrew Young explain my opinion. He says that debate over the Confederate flag is a divisive non-issue which completely distracts from the real problem -- the fact that 93 percent of blacks are killed by other blacks.

Young is widely recognized as a prominent activist for the African-American civil rights movement, having been a personal friend and supporter of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., Ph.D. Young marched with King in Selma, Ala., and was with King when King was assassinated. He was also instrumental in pushing through the 1964 federal Civil Rights Act and 1965 federal Voting Rights Act.

I didn't realize this was an either/or thing. It *is* possible to work on both at the same time. Symbolism matters, and as such there is no reason for that symbol to be on government property. It's a small gesture. It's not that difficult to do.

Now, back to the topic at hand (the statues)...

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 3:32 pm

The Constitution of The united States was just the opinion of white male slave owners who only allowed white male property owners to vote.

It has no place in our modern world, our government buildings, our laws, or history.

Washington DC is a monument to slavery, it was built by slave labor, and should be destroyed.

We must free our country from all mention and record of everything that happened before 1964.

The only way to save the country is to destroy it.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 3:48 pm

Inventor wrote:
The Constitution of The united States was just the opinion of white male slave owners who only allowed white male property owners to vote.

It has no place in our modern world, our government buildings, our laws, or history....

Get back to me when you convince enough states to do that ( http://www.wikihow.com/Amend-the-Constitution ).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 4:57 pm

ASPickle wrote:
Symbolism matters, and as such there is no reason for that symbol to be on government property. It's a small gesture. It's not that difficult to do.

The problem IS, however, IMO it would not end THERE. AFAIK the flag has not yet been taken down, but everybody is jumping on the bandwagon of catering to whiners----Wal-Mart, Amazon, eBay, etc. have taken away the products containing the confederate flag, TVLand has pulled "The Dukes of Hazard" because the confederate flag is on the roof of the car, they drive; people are defacing 100-year-old statues, people are demanding that statues be taken down----when will it end? NEVER----cuz, if you give an inch, a MILE is then needed----DEMANDED!!

When it was reported that SC was even THINKING-about taking down the flag, everything else just SNOW-BALLED. If there had BEEN no report of anyone thinking about anything regarding a confederate flag, ANYWHERE, I don't feel it would've gotten this far out-of-hand----but, everybody wants to blame somebody / something else, because life's not a bowl of cherries!! The fact IS, they're ALWAYS gonna be in the pits (pun intended), with THAT attitude----and, people continuing to spoon-feed them with: "Awww, poor people----this hurts their feelings....."

I sure do miss the days when people had back-bones.....

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 5:03 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
...I sure do miss the days when people had back-bones.....

And character, wisdom and loyalty. How pathetic is it that the new American ethic is to commit verbal hate crimes without a care in the world about things like defamation and malice.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 5:21 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
...I sure do miss the days when people had back-bones.....

And character, wisdom and loyalty. How pathetic is it that the new American ethic is to commit verbal hate crimes without a care in the world about things like defamation and malice.

Yeah, and then when people call them on it, the people doing the "calling", get censured!!

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 5:29 pm

Only in the Era of Obama would you see this happening.
The amount of stupidity on this keeps getting bigger every hour.
NASCAR has just joined the politically correct movement (yeah of ALL things that would ban it, it's least expected).

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 5:47 pm

AntDog wrote:
NASCAR has just joined the politically correct movement (yeah of ALL things that would ban it, it's least expected).

Next, they'll wanna ban NASCAR cuz all the drivers are white!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 5:55 pm

AntDog wrote:
Only in the Era of Obama would you see this happening.
The amount of stupidity on this keeps getting bigger every hour.

Hehe. Indeed. It's just about time for Hank Williams Jr., Willie Nelson and Shooter Jennings to say something about all this. They don't care about PC-movement indulgences, and yet, they remain relevant.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 5:56 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
AntDog wrote:

And, NASCAR car tires are black. Everybody knows what that means! Don't they? Huh?!? :lol:

[Sarcasm].

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 6:10 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
AntDog wrote:

And, NASCAR car tires are black. Everybody knows what that means! Don't they? Huh?!? :lol:

[Sarcasm].

LOLOLOL

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 6:27 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
AntDog wrote:

[Sarcasm].

LOLOLOL

:lol: