Interesting article on modern hermits

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 12:12 am

Misslizard wrote:
Raptor wrote:
I wouldn't mind being somewhat of a pseudo-hermit myself. I'd want some interaction but on my own terms. Enough money not to need a job and to set up a farmstead out in th' hills that backs up to national forest land that I can access.
I'd still go to town for stuff and I'd probably do lots of volunteer work at the local animal shelter.
It's living in the suburbs, traffic, noise, work, and all that other day to day BS that's really getting tiresome.

You'd never regret it.Ozark National forest is a mile from me,no close neighbors.The people in this area are very protective of their privacy.I can walk all day in the woods and never see another person,river a ten minute walk away with several spring fed swimming holes.No city water,a spring and two wells,wood heat.I do have electricity,Internet and phone.I used to have a perfect night time skyline with no lights except a radio tower,then idiots on the far mountain put up night lights.I can only see them in the winter,so in the summer the sky line looks like it did before wh***y showed up.It's like heaven.
I'm cutting way back on town trips since I can just order on line and have it delivered.Just had 150lbs of dog food delivered to the front porch.Nice.
I rarely get company,if I choose I can lock the gate and have total privacy.Most around here won't cross a locked gate.Not healthy to do so.Its also a blast for the dogs,they get to chase squirrels,rabbits and they feel important when they chase the deer out of the yard.
This spring I'm going to tap my maple trees and try my hand at making syrup.This fall I feasted on wild mushrooms,Coral and Oyster.In the spring,morels.
Lots of wild food to eat plus space to grow all the fruit and veggies I need.
Walmart is an hour away,but the little town has a dollar store and I like it better.
Not even a red light in this county.
Some people move here and hate it,the social isolation gets to them.Nothing is open in town after eight o'clock.No pizza delivery lol Most people stay at home after dark unless they go to Wens night church or a event at one of the schools.
No way would ever leave,I hope to be fortunate enough to die here when the time comes.

Consider yourself blessed. I don't even know where I want to buy land to settle on later since I don't know what it'll be like later when (if) I can finally move on to it. "Be like" as in what kind and how many people by then. As much as I love the Blue Ridge a lot of it is too touristy. The worse is in parts of NC and Tenn (Asheville, Waynesville, Maggie Valley, Bryson City, Blowing Rock, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, etc. to name just a few) and it's been spreading north into the Virginias. There's always Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming I guess...
I've looked at land in the Ozarks but it seemed on the expensive side. It's been a while and maybe I was looking through the wrong sources, though...

Ever watched this youtube series? They are in the Ozarks.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 12:22 am

Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
You'd never regret it.Ozark National forest is a mile from me,no close neighbors.The people in this area are very protective of their privacy.I can walk all day in the woods and never see another person,river a ten minute walk away with several spring fed swimming holes.No city water,a spring and two wells,wood heat.I do have electricity,Internet and phone.I used to have a perfect night time skyline with no lights except a radio tower,then idiots on the far mountain put up night lights.I can only see them in the winter,so in the summer the sky line looks like it did before wh***y showed up.It's like heaven.
I'm cutting way back on town trips since I can just order on line and have it delivered.Just had 150lbs of dog food delivered to the front porch.Nice.
I rarely get company,if I choose I can lock the gate and have total privacy.Most around here won't cross a locked gate.Not healthy to do so.Its also a blast for the dogs,they get to chase squirrels,rabbits and they feel important when they chase the deer out of the yard.
This spring I'm going to tap my maple trees and try my hand at making syrup.This fall I feasted on wild mushrooms,Coral and Oyster.In the spring,morels.
Lots of wild food to eat plus space to grow all the fruit and veggies I need.
Walmart is an hour away,but the little town has a dollar store and I like it better.
Not even a red light in this county.
Some people move here and hate it,the social isolation gets to them.Nothing is open in town after eight o'clock.No pizza delivery lol Most people stay at home after dark unless they go to Wens night church or a event at one of the schools.
No way would ever leave,I hope to be fortunate enough to die here when the time comes.

that sounds like a little piece of heaven :wtg:

It is.Even with ticks and humidity in summer,a small price to pay for paradise.Always something to see in the woods and I have wonderful sunsets and a great night sky for stargazing.There is a huge black walnut tree by the house so I get shade and tasty nuts to eat.I was hoping to be able to make homemade wine from my muscadine vine but I think one of those devilish pack rats carried most off.Left me just enough to make a few jars of jelly.
Another great perk of rural areas is that people still care for their neighbor's,if you need help it's just a call away.

Forget the muscadines. You can make some awesome wine out of apples, pears, berries, etc. That and/or establish your own small vineyard.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 1:01 pm

/\When I purchased this place the real estate market here was in a real slump.You could purchase 40 undeveloped wooded acres for around $250 an acre,if you could find bottom land for sale it was around $1,000.I paid $18,000 for twenty acres,four open and cleared, a spring,old hand dug well with a date carved in the cement from 1917,marketable timber,and a house with a 1/4 mile private drive.You won't find a deal like that now.Places that were selling for around $70,000 are now going for a quarter of a mill.The spring has a history,supposedly Frank James used it.But you find such claims about him in the Ozarks often.One of the old timers that settled this valley told me the story.Of course there is suppose to be confederate gold buried somewhere around here.Another common folk story.
Its better to skip the realtors, hang out in the coffe shops and ask the locals about land for sale.
I've made wine from different fruits,one year was a really good one and I made 15 gallons.Depends on early frosts and animals trying to carry off stuff.Grapes tend to get the brown rot fungus here so muscadines are more of a sure thing.There are now many varieties to choose from and a growing market for them.I just watched a Farm Bureau vid on production for profit.Im going to increase my tame black berries,a variety called Triple Crown that yeilds like crazy and is thornless.The birds get a few,but I haven't seen much damage from them.I did have a huge black raspberry batch but a bear got in it and wallowed it down.That won't happen again with the dogs I have now.My Catahoula is fearless.The man that raised them is part Choctaw Indian and hails from the Catahoula lake region in LA.She's the classic blue leopard with tan points,a beautiful dog.I had two,a male named Bowie that was black and white spotted with a bob tail.Some drunk as*hole teenagers in a side by side shot him on the road..I can't prove it,but I know who did it.....revenge is a dish that's best served cold. :evil: He was still just a pup,only ten months old.A big puppy at around seventy lbs and a real sweetheart.
There are persimmons and paw paws in the woods,the down side of the paw paws is they get ripe during the peak seed tick season.Expect to get covered.Carry duct tape to remove them,works like a dream.
Sometimes it's meanly amusing to see the look on a newcomers face when they get in a bed of them.Millions of small ticks the size of a grain of pepper.
One thing I'd love to have is a small pond for fishing.I have just the right location,but not the funds.You used to be able to get a grant for that but not anymore.
I haven't seen that YouTube series.Thanks for sharing.
The Catahoula Cur dog song. :D
https://youtu.be/FTmXh1MbWms

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 2:08 pm

^ You got a helluva good deal for 18k!

I use landwatch.com or Craigslist since with me working and not able to go galavant accrross the country at will most all of it has to be done from home. Landwatch seems to be the best source I've found so far.

Unlike the people on American Homestead, I'd really really like to have electricity and indoor plumbing. Call me a wussy but oh well, I like hot and and cold water on demand and to be able to flush the john. I could get by without if I had to but I'm not having a compost toilet in the damn house. I'd rather dig a hole and build an outhouse over it and use it even in the winter. I'm gonna have electricity and internet, too.

At the shelter we had a catahoula leopard named Justine for a while. She was very quiet and sweet but did not do well with other dogs if I remember right. Someone adopted her at one of the big adoption events we had.

Ticks have never bothered me (so far) but skeeters, chiggers, black flies, horse flies, and no-see-ums do. Maybe a tick repellent could be made from troll blood extract? :P

If you can build a fish pond big enough you could install a turbine/water wheel and generator on the downstream side of the dam and generate your own electricity. The dam size and flow rate would determine how many kW you get out of it. It might be something to look into...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 2:55 pm

We had to plumb this house so we could run a washing machine,I could hand wash clothes but I didn't want to.It took a few years to get the septic tank installed so we used a outhouse.We used ashes in the winter to cover the offal and lime in the summer.There was never any flies or odor.In really frigid weather we used a five gallon bucket on a porch for emergencies late at night.If you get the trots it's no fun to head to the outhouse in ten degrees.We had to pay some over distance to get the power in,around $500,then we had to get an easement from an adjoining land owner.She was a dyed in the wool tree hugger,or so she claimed.She said she was very protective of her trees.We offered her a cash incentive and she said"where do I sign".LOL
A neighbor generates his own power from a small creek using a pelting wheel.He uses a gas Servel fridge and gas cooking stove.One neighbor is about as far off the grid as you can get.Hauls water and has no power except for a small solar panel he uses to run a light bulb and to charge his cell phone.He actually lives under a rock not joking.
I'd love to do solar,my house gets good sun and the price is going down.Maybe some day.Im down on "bench" land near the river so I don't get that much wind,but on the mountain tops there usually a breeze all the time.Good possibility to generate with that.

Catahoulas can be aggressive to other dogs,most of the cur breeds are.They are also not a cat friendly breed unless raised with the cat.I had a helluva time introducing a throw away female Lab.The Cur was only nine months old and the Lab around six.The Cur kept attacking her and dogs never get into a fight where there is a water hose handy.I made homemade pepper spray and used it to stop the attacks.I'd spray it in her mouth.Later on all I had to do was get the spray bottle and she'd stop her aggression.They are buddies now.They have a very strong prey drive so not really good for the suburbs.If your neighbor's cat or dog comes into your yard it can go bad really quick.They are excellent climbers so you'd have to have a tall secure fence to keep them in a yard.
They excell at homestead dogs,you can hunt with them,they will herd cattle,keep varmints out of the yard,and are excellent watchdogs.She never tries to bite people that show up,but will bay them till I tell her it's ok.Then she wants them to pet her.People used them to baby sit the kids,you don't have to worry about someone trying to snatch a kid.The old Cajun man that had a cooking show,Justin Wilson claimed his Catahoula saved his grandchild from going onto a busy street.Said the Houla grabbed the kid by the pants and drug it back in the yard.

Ticks don't really bother me,I get a few,never got the chiggers.Just too mean I suppose.But the no-see-ums are the worst.I even had to use a repellant with deet this summer to work in the yard.Not to many mosquitos here,more seasonal when the wet weather creeks start to dry up and there are pools of standing water.They are usually gone in mid summer.I have noticed that the new people seem to get ate up by bugs.Maybe you are on to something with the troll blood repellant. :D

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 9:12 pm

Misslizard wrote:
We had to plumb this house so we could run a washing machine,I could hand wash clothes but I didn't want to.It took a few years to get the septic tank installed so we used a outhouse.We used ashes in the winter to cover the offal and lime in the summer.There was never any flies or odor.In really frigid weather we used a five gallon bucket on a porch for emergencies late at night.If you get the trots it's no fun to head to the outhouse in ten degrees.We had to pay some over distance to get the power in,around $500,then we had to get an easement from an adjoining land owner.She was a dyed in the wool tree hugger,or so she claimed.She said she was very protective of her trees.We offered her a cash incentive and she said"where do I sign".LOL

You all were really roughing it then.

Quote:
A neighbor generates his own power from a small creek using a pelting wheel.He uses a gas Servel fridge and gas cooking stove.One neighbor is about as far off the grid as you can get.Hauls water and has no power except for a small solar panel he uses to run a light bulb and to charge his cell phone.He actually lives under a rock not joking.

Under a rock as in a rock outcropping in the side of a hill?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 1:07 am

/\Yup,he has a den under a large rock.He moved here from the west coast about twenty-five years ago.Nobody thought he would last but he's thriving.Fooled all of us lol He has a wood stove,a good spring and a pond.He's all set.Cuts all his wood by hand.
He's getting close to his seventies now and still going strong.He never gets sick,I beleive his lifestyle is the reason.
A highly educated man,employed by a large university when he was younger.
He also brews beer under that rock,and its better than most American brews.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 1:14 am

I wonder how many people here have heard of dick proenekke? he was a retired engineer who got tired of civilization and as soon as he saved enough money, cut loose and headed as far away from it as he could manage. on PBS they show the narrated 8mm films he made of himself in the late 60s living on his own in the wilds of Alaska, making everything from scratch, living in a cabin made of logs that he hewed himself, burning logs in a fireplace he made rock by rock. people like him are just amazing and in my view, akin to superhuman.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 1:38 am

auntblabby wrote:
I wonder how many people here have heard of dick proenekke? he was a retired engineer who got tired of civilization and as soon as he saved enough money, cut loose and headed as far away from it as he could manage. on PBS they show the narrated 8mm films he made of himself in the late 60s living on his own in the wilds of Alaska, making everything from scratch, living in a cabin made of logs that he hewed himself, burning logs in a fireplace he made rock by rock. people like him are just amazing and in my view, akin to superhuman.

I haven't heard of him,but I agree.Especialy in a climate like Alaska where you can die if you aren't prepared.Thats too tough for me.Too much cold and snow,just wow.Plus the dark in the winter.Id get cabin fever and go nuts like in a Jack London story.Im too fond of Mr Sol.It takes a special breed of person to accomplish that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 1:46 am

Misslizard wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I haven't heard of him,but I agree.Especialy in a climate like Alaska where you can die if you aren't prepared.Thats too tough for me.Too much cold and snow,just wow.Plus the dark in the winter.Id get cabin fever and go nuts like in a Jack London story.Im too fond of Mr Sol.It takes a special breed of person to accomplish that.

dick proenekke wiki
dick proenekke's cabin in the wilderness is part of the national park system

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 12:50 pm

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 2:26 pm

That would have been a very interesting person to have known.I'm glad his cabin will be preserved for others to see.
Have you ever grown any veggies Blabby?Im thinking that your climate is pretty mild and has a year long growing season.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 4:17 pm

not enough land around my tin can to grow anything and too much shade from all the tall evergreens surrounding me. great to keep cool in the summer but lousy for growing stuff. not allowed to touch the trees, community covenant.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 6:10 pm

/\Everyone needs a good shade tree,I'm very thankful for mine which is perfectly placed.
Do you like mushrooms? You could get the plugs and drive them into small logs or even stumps of they are fresh enough.You can keep the logs upright so they don't take up much room.They like your climate and tha shade.Im trying my hand right now with oyster mushroom spawn.They grow wild here so I thought it would be a good choice.Of it works out well I may try to grow some to sell to the organic restaurant in town.They bring a good price and I could do with some extra change jingling in my pocket.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 10:04 pm

it is moist and verdantly green like Kermit here, 'shrooms all over the place just pop up like nobody's business, there are people who tramp about in the brush collecting 'em. I never liked 'shrooms but glad others do, they are welcome to 'em. the most common kind, I don't know what they're called but they're maple-brown and irregularly shaped, low to the ground. they sprout, then rot within a week.