Page 2 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 1:54 am

EzraS wrote:
Don't forget the Union Army's genocide of Native Americans.

But it didn't mention that in the Hollywood films? :roll:

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 2:01 am

JohnPowell wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Don't forget the Union Army's genocide of Native Americans.

But it didn't mention that in the Hollywood films? :roll:

No the Indians were the bad guys. A few films like Little Big Man did however portray it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 3:46 am

JohnPowell wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Well the right appears to be the butt of this joke (as usual)
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... ng-818815/

When did you stop being right wing?

It's damn obvious that she changed her accent. The person who wrote that article is a lying psychopath.

Psychologists claim this is extremely common and people who interact with a person with a different accent subconsciously mimic their twang because they want to “empathise” with their conversation partner.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scienc ... claim.html
If you want accuse Ocasio-Cortez of anything it's showing empathy to her audience

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 3:48 am

Darmok wrote:
This woman is just totally shameless. She will pander to anybody!

Ocasio-Cortez Suddenly Shifts To Speaking Like Jar Jar Binks While Addressing Crowd Of Gungans

NABOO—Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has come under fire after giving a speech to a crowd of Gungan supporters on the planet of Naboo. Critics claim Ocasio-Cortez clearly shifted her speaking style to try to emulate the Gungans' speech patterns, changing her speech to sound exactly like that of Jar Jar Binks.

"Meesa Ocasio-Cortez. Meesa gonna seize the means of production big-big," she said as the Gungan crowd cheered. "Meesa your humble servant who's in charge." The congresswoman unveiled a plan to save Naboo, one which would coincidentally require giving her all the power and money. "Yousa planet gonna die big, icky icky goo goo if yousa don't change your habits." She pointed out that the ecosystem of the planet's core was already changing, and the giant monsters which live down there will likely die within 12 Coruscant solar cycles.

"Yousa all gonna do whatever I say now, okeeday?" she added.

https://babylonbee.com/news/ocasio-cort ... of-gungans

it didn't work for these guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY_FRc__ZVQ

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 4:21 am

JohnPowell wrote:
The north went round burning villages, mass murdering and raping women.

It's interesting that people who claim to hate racism call people "crackers", focus on the President's skin color and think black people aren't capable of getting anywhere in life without help. Interesting.

I'm not going to say that there wasn't any atrocities committed by the Union army, because young men with guns and all the power that comes with it very often can behave badly. But a great many northerners also behaved very well. In the case of William Tecumseh Sherman, the destruction caused by his March to the Sea was in fact strategic, not vengeful or wanton, meant to destroy the Confederacy's means of conducting war. What your not mentioning is that the Confederacy had also committed atrocities as well, such as when whole communities of Union loyalists inside the south were massacred, or how Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee had made it policy to kill rather than capture all blacks serving in Union uniforms, and even refusing to end this abhorrent policy when Lincoln told them a prisoner exchange would only be possible if this came to an end.
Contrary to what you conservatives claim, "cracker" isn't a racist term, especially used by another white man (me), but describes purposely ignorant people.
Why shouldn't we have been proud to have elected our first black President after all the terrible history of race hatred in America?
It's not a matter of helping blacks up because they can't do it themselves, but because they had been held down for so long.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 4:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Well the right appears to be the butt of this joke (as usual)
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... ng-818815/

When did you stop being right wing?

It's damn obvious that she changed her accent. The person who wrote that article is a lying psychopath.

Psychologists claim this is extremely common and people who interact with a person with a different accent subconsciously mimic their twang because they want to “empathise” with their conversation partner.
If you want accuse Ocasio-Cortez of anything it's showing empathy to her audience

I doubt that would be the consensus if a white politician started speaking with their version of sounding like a Hispanic, African or Asian American while adressing those groups.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 4:33 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

It's interesting that people who claim to hate racism call people "crackers", focus on the President's skin color and think black people aren't capable of getting anywhere in life without help. Interesting.

I'm not going to say that there wasn't any atrocities committed by the Union army, because young men with guns and all the power that comes with it very often can behave badly. But a great many northerners also behaved very well. In the case of William Tecumseh Sherman, the destruction caused by his March to the Sea was in fact strategic, not vengeful or wanton, meant to destroy the Confederacy's means of conducting war. What your not mentioning is that the Confederacy had also committed atrocities as well, such as when whole communities of Union loyalists inside the south were massacred, or how Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee had made it policy to kill rather than capture all blacks serving in Union uniforms, and even refusing to end this abhorrent policy when Lincoln told them a prisoner exchange would only be possible if this came to an end.
Contrary to what you conservatives claim, "cracker" isn't a racist term, especially used by another white man (me), but describes purposely ignorant people.
Why shouldn't we have been proud to have elected our first black President after all the terrible history of race hatred in America?
It's not a matter of helping blacks up because they can't do it themselves, but because they had been held down for so long.

A great number of American military personnel and politicians were involved in slavery and genocide from 1776 to 1865. Some are vilified and some are defended according to the prejudice of the individual or group. A Lutheran might condemn a pope or John Calvin or whoever for some atrocity and defend and or excuse atrocities committed by Martin Luther.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 4:50 am

EzraS wrote:
I doubt that would be the consensus if a white politician started speaking with their version of sounding like a Hispanic, African or Asian American while adressing those groups.

But I thought that's what lefties have been accused off? sounding dumb to minority groups?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 4:52 am

from another thread
White Liberals Present Themselves as Less Competent in Interactions with African-Americans

Racial bias can put people of color at a disadvantage when interviewing for a job, buying a house, or interacting with the police. New research suggests that bias may also shape daily interactions between racial minorities and white people, even those whites who tend to be less biased.

According to new research by Cydney Dupree, assistant professor of organizational behavior at Yale SOM, white liberals tend to downplay their own verbal competence in exchanges with racial minorities, compared to how other white Americans act in such exchanges. The study is scheduled for publication in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 4:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

But I thought that's what lefties have been accused off? sounding dumb to minority groups?

I thought this this thread was about using accents and stereotyping.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 5:22 am

same diff

Attempting to bond with your audience

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 8:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
same diff

Attempting to bond with your audience

I suppose it depends on whether it's percived as bonding or patronizing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 8:59 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Words evolve and words have different meanings in different locales. ”Cracker” was always equivalent to “n****r” as a slur when I grew up in the Northeast. White people never called each other that, certainly not in the endearing way blacks call each other “n***a”. I have not heard “cracker” used much since the 70s.

As far as the President’s skin color people don’t slur against his skin being white much but constantly make fun of his “orange” skin.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 10:25 am

Seems like she's talking down to them.

"It's OK to work a low wage, menial job ... "

DON'T FEEL LIKE A LOSER

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 10:29 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Words evolve and words have different meanings in different locales. ”Cracker” was always equivalent to “n****r” as a slur when I grew up in the Northeast. White people never called each other that, certainly not in the endearing way blacks call each other “n***a”. I have not heard “cracker” used much since the 70s.

It's like a gay person claiming it's okay for him to refer to other gays as fa***ts. Or a Hispanic person claiming it's okay for him to refer to other Hispanics as beaners.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 10:56 am

i don't see "cracker" used anymore, at all.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
As far as the President’s skin color people don’t slur against his skin being white much but constantly make fun of his “orange” skin.

yeah. i haven't really seen slurs against trump's whiteness. there's plenty else to make fun of him for.

cyberdad wrote:

there ya go. i've caught myself doing this a handful of times.

northerners can very rarely nail it tho. i'd almost prefer she use her home accent.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.