Haley declines to say slavery was cause of Civil War

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 4:04 pm

Yes the thread probably needs moving to PPR.

As for the Civil War, it seems a bit suspicious to me, this idea that the government one day said to itself, "Look at the awful way those black people are being treated. Let's invade them and get it all stopped," doesn't sound like the governments I know.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 5:05 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:

As for the Civil War, it seems a bit suspicious to me, this idea that the government one day said to itself, "Look at the awful way those black people are being treated. Let's invade them and get it all stopped," doesn't sound like the governments I know.

If you're gonna be THAT simplistic about it then at least be accurately simple minded.

In a nutshell:

They invaded the south because the south broke away to become its own country.

And the reason the south broke away was...to preserve slavery.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 5:19 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Given the strong following right wing republicans have in the US south, I am guessing many southerners don't agree with this . Hence Haley's zipping up when this question is posed.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 5:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Given the strong following right wing republicans have in the US south, I am guessing many southerners don't agree with this . Hence Haley's zipping up when this question is posed.

Well duhhhhh...

Many Whites in the South are in denial. Thats the point.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 5:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Denial or selective ignorance?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 5:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Denial or selective ignorance?

Whats the difference?

And besides stating the obvious...do you have an actual point to make?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 5:53 pm

Selective ignorance is where the person chooses to ignore the truth to support a narrative that fits with their belief system.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 6:00 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Selective ignorance is where the person chooses to ignore the truth to support a narrative that fits with their belief system.

Exactly.

"Denial".

you're just using seven syllables to say what I said in three. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 6:01 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Exactly.

"Denial".

Technically no, denial is a consequence of selective ignorance, it's also a river in Egypt.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 6:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Exactly.

"Denial".

Technically no, denial is a consequence of selective ignorance, it's also a river in Egypt.

Between the lines...in the entire length of this post...its understood that "water is wet" (ie that Southern White folks often deny slavery as a cause of 'the lost cause" of the CSA despite the obvious evidence to the contrary).

It goes without saying.

Then you come a long and inform me "that water is damp".

Then you engage in argument with me about whether "water is wet, or whether water is damp" (as if they arent essentially the same thing).

But you dont even get around to informing me about WHY you're telling me- what I and everyone else already knows ...that water is damp/wet? What is your point?

OKAY...lets go with damp and with "selective ignorance" even though it makes no difference since thats what floats your boat.

So ...you have just told me something what I already know...and its obvious that I already know it.

So now that youve done that...what is your point?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 7:13 pm

Well I thought it was simple. Denial requires a pretext/context. That pretext is selective ignorance. The latter requires choosing the story that fits with your belief. What comes next is denial when confronted with reasons for their choice.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 7:26 pm

No better than Trump

In all fairness, though, MAGAs would never support her, simply because she's a woman.

Remember, they voted for Trump in 2016 simply because they didn't want a female president. They didn't care about any real change or policies, just "forcing Hillary back to the kitchen".

This song basically sums up what conservatives think women should be like:

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 8:24 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
No better than Trump

In all fairness, though, MAGAs would never support her, simply because she's a woman.

Remember, they voted for Trump in 2016 simply because they didn't want a female president. They didn't care about any real change or policies, just "forcing Hillary back to the kitchen".

This song basically sums up what conservatives think women should be like:

That and, there's a certain issue with her skin color, and where her family had originated.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 8:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
That and, there's a certain issue with her skin color, and where her family had originated.

Haley passes herself as a conservative white woman. That's pretty much all voters in South Carolina knew when then saw her. For an Indian she passes quite well.

What is now well known is she was born Nimrita Randhwa in India and both her parents were Punjabi migrants. Her son-in law is black. She is never going to be the first pick among republicans now.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 9:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

If you're gonna be THAT simplistic about it then at least be accurately simple minded.

In a nutshell:

They invaded the south because the south broke away to become its own country.

I have no intentions of explaining the whole thing, just to point out that whatever the gov's reason to wage war, it probably wasn't down to kind feelings.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 12:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Haley passes herself as a conservative white woman. That's pretty much all voters in South Carolina knew when then saw her. For an Indian she passes quite well.

What is now well known is she was born Nimrita Randhwa in India and both her parents were Punjabi migrants. Her son-in law is black. She is never going to be the first pick among republicans now.

She was born in India??? Well, that should disqualify her by law from becoming President.