Page 12 of 13 [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 1:12 am

cyberdad wrote:
Ok so all The Harrold's legal team have is child endangerment and attempted assault.

What about a hate crime? is racial profiling leading to the act a criminal act?

You mean something such as:
Quote:
Hate Crimes - Article 485.05
1. A person commits a hate crime when he or she commits a specified offense and either:
(a) intentionally selects the person against whom the offense is committed or intended to be committed in whole or in substantial part because of a belief or perception regarding the race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, religion, religious practice, age, disability or sexual orientation of a person, regardless of whether the belief or perception is correct, or
(b) intentionally commits the act or acts constituting the offense in whole or in substantial part because of a belief or perception regarding the race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, religion, religious practice, age, disability or sexual orientation of a person, regardless of whether the belief or perception is correct.

Source: http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/hate_crimes.htm

The problem that you run into is:
Quote:
2. Proof of race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, religion, religious practice, age, disability or sexual orientation of the defendant, the victim or of both the defendant and the victim does not, by itself, constitute legally sufficient evidence satisfying the people's burden under paragraph (a) or (b) of subdivision one of this section.

So, there needs to be something other than the race of the people involved for it to meet this (as I believe I have mentioned several times, having people of different races (or the victim being a specific race) is not enough). If she has (as reported) approached others, prior to the arrival of the child and his father, then it is highly unlikley there was any "Hate crime" committed (or, at a minimum, evidence of one being committed).

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 1:28 am

While looking up the previous "hate crime" statute, I came across the following, which it would seeem at first glance may have been approriate charge in addition to the others:

Quote:
S 120.20 Reckless endangerment in the second degree.
A person is guilty of reckless endangerment in the second degree when
he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person.
Reckless endangerment in the second degree is a class A misdemeanor.

Source: http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article120.htm#p120.20

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 5:36 am

Brictoria wrote:
Sylkat wrote:
Someone can shove me, hit me, seen on film, I land on th ground, and if I have no bruise, scrape or scratches, I was not legally assaulted?
Seriously?

The requirements for assault would differ between jurisdictions.

In New York (where this occurred), it appears that would be the case.
Quote:
Section 120.00 Assault in the third degree
Penal (PEN)
A person is guilty of assault in the third degree when:
1. With intent to cause physical injury to another person, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person; or
2. He recklessly causes physical injury to another person; or
3. With criminal negligence, he causes physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument.

Assault in the third degree is a class A misdemeanor.

Source: https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/120.00

How does this compare to Australian law?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 9:06 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Sylkat wrote:
Someone can shove me, hit me, seen on film, I land on th ground, and if I have no bruise, scrape or scratches, I was not legally assaulted?
Seriously?

Quote:
Penal (PEN)
1. With intent to cause physical injury to another person, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person; or
3. With criminal negligence, he causes physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument.

Depends on your state...Victoria is:
Quote:
(2) In subsection (1), "assault" means the direct or indirect application of force by a person to the body of, or to clothing or equipment worn by, another person where the application of force is—
(a) without lawful excuse; and
(b) with intent to inflict or being reckless as to the infliction of bodily injury, pain, discomfort, damage, insult or deprivation of liberty—
and results in the infliction of any such consequence (whether or not the consequence inflicted is the consequence intended or foreseen).

Source: http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/ca195882/s31.html

It's one I had to know very well in a previous job...Not sure what other states have, but they would likely be similar.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 1:33 pm

Hey if you wanna get all super pedantic technical, sure, by New York law she did not actually commit "assault". But she did likely commit Menacing, and Harassment, and possibly Attempted Assault. New York laws are a little slippery, so it's easy to miss things. Or ignore things. Or cherry pick things.

Menacing is defined in the New York Penal Code as a crime that involves conduct or words that place another individual in fear of immediate bodily harm. Actual physical contact or injury is not required for a person to be charged with menacing

A person is guilty of harassment in the first degree when he or she intentionally and repeatedly harasses another person by following such person in or about a public place or places or by engaging in a course of conduct or by repeatedly committing acts which places such person in reasonable fear of physical injury.

The apologetics for this wing-nut lady are equally hilarious and saddening.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 8:08 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
Hey if you wanna get all super pedantic technical, sure, by New York law she did not actually commit "assault". But she did likely commit Menacing, and Harassment, and possibly Attempted Assault. New York laws are a little slippery, so it's easy to miss things. Or ignore things. Or cherry pick things.

Menacing is defined in the New York Penal Code as a crime that involves conduct or words that place another individual in fear of immediate bodily harm. Actual physical contact or injury is not required for a person to be charged with menacing

A person is guilty of harassment in the first degree when he or she intentionally and repeatedly harasses another person by following such person in or about a public place or places or by engaging in a course of conduct or by repeatedly committing acts which places such person in reasonable fear of physical injury.

It would be a shame if you bothered to read what had been posted before making wild claims regarding the content of the thread you were posting in or the supposed opinions\views of those participating in the discussion...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 8:24 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Sylkat wrote:
Seriously?

Quote:
Penal (PEN)

Quote:
(2) In subsection (1), "assault" means the direct or indirect application of force by a person to the body of, or to clothing or equipment worn by, another person where the application of force is—
(b) with intent to inflict or being reckless as to the infliction of bodily injury, pain, discomfort, damage, insult or deprivation of liberty—
and results in the infliction of any such consequence (whether or not the consequence inflicted is the consequence intended or foreseen).

It's one I had to know very well in a previous job...Not sure what other states have, but they would likely be similar.

I have also heard that here, in Australia, even pointing a finger at a person may be considered an assault.
Is this an urban myth?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 8:26 pm

She's also charged with attempted robbery---a felony.

Pointing a finger certainly is not assault in New York.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 8:39 pm

Hey if you wanna get all super pedantic technical, sure,

What an odd statement.
Brictoria is considering how the court may interpret the situation.
Courts *have to be pedantic*.

Are you calling Brictoria an apologist?
If so, you miss the point of the exercise which is to determine the situation in a rational and objective manner, taking in all available information.

Perhaps you prefer to skip the investigative hard yakka and take the person directly to the gallows?
I rarely use sarcasm, btw.

Are you one of the people who embrace the concept of: "Morality is more important than the facts"?
To me, it seems as though you are focusing on a narrative rather than considering what actually was the case.

Labelling someone an apologist, a denier, etc, is a psychological attack through sanctimonious intimidation.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 8:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
She's also charged with attempted robbery---a felony.

Pointing a finger certainly is not assault in New York.

You are one of the more rational people here.
Yes, I understand the implication of my statement. ;)

The woman has major problems, there is no denying that. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 10:03 pm

I notice that major news outlets are referring to Ponsetto's "incident" as an alleged assault and not as an "attempted assault".

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/miya-ponse ... lack-teen/

For legal purposes it seem ok to say she is alleged to have assaulted Harrold Jnr.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 10:06 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I notice that major news outlets are referring to Ponsetto's "incident" as an alleged assault and not as an "attempted assault".

For legal purposes it seem ok to say she is alleged to have assaulted Harrold Jnr.

Isn't this the usual jargon?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 10:17 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Isn't this the usual jargon?

Well Brictoria emphasised the need for WP members to use "attempted" otherwise we open Alex for legal action. I was pointing out that if CNN is saying "alleged" then that should be ok for all of us to use "alleged".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 10:45 pm

As I surmised the hotel management are also implicated in this incident and will also be facing legal action

The Harrold's (Snr and Jnr) have been in their hotel rooms while Ponsetto is going bezerk at the hotel staff about her phone being stolen.

They (the Harrolds) exit the elevator (having not been in the lobby) to get brunch and Ponsetto makes a beeline to them as they leave the elevator accusing the boy (whom she had not seen before) of stealing her phone. What was also not filmed was the hotel manager asking the 14 yr old boy (Keyon Jr) to show him the phone.

The rest was caught on video by the father leading to the altercation.

So what we didn't know before but can now confirm is
1. The Harrold's were paid guests of the hotel
2. Harold Snr is a grammy award winning musician and his wife works with Beyonce
3. Ponsetto was not a guest of the hotel
4. The hotel manager took Ponsetto's side (despite her not being a hotel guest) and demanded they show her their phones (despite the fact there was no evidence they were in the lobby at the time of the theft and despite the manager probably knowing Harrold Snr was a celebrity guest). An egregious error of judgement by the hotel manager.
5. During the altercation the hotel staff made no attempt to protect their guests thus breaching their duty of care
6. Finally it confirms what we suspected that Ponsetto made no attempt to question or make demands to guests actually in the lobby but directed her rage at a 14 year old boy who was not in the lobby when her alleged theft occurred.

The harrold's laywer Benjamin Crump is a high profile civil rights lawyer and is confident that racial profiling was involved and will be making the case not just against Ponsetto but now also the hotel staff.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 6:53 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Sylkat wrote:
Seriously?

Quote:
Penal (PEN)

Quote:

I have also heard that here, in Australia, even pointing a finger at a person may be considered an assault.
Is this an urban myth?

Not sure about laws in other states, but if you made contact with the person (or their clothing) when pointing at them and were depending on what you were saying\doing at the time, it would theoretically be possible in Victoria, as it would involve:
* direct application of force by a person to the body of, or to clothing or equipment worn by, another person
* without lawful excuse (This portion would be the easiest to use for defence - Did you have a lawful reason for making contact)
* with intent to inflict or being reckless as to the infliction of discomfort, insult

A zealous prosecutor has quite a bit of leeway under the laws here...The police, similarly, can use it as a pretext to arrest someone even if they decide later not to proceed with charges.

I actually like the laws from New York (the format\presentation, not necessarily the content), as they seem much tighter and objective, as opposed to the broad, subjective language used in ours (under theirs, you know what you can do, and what you can't. Under ours, different people may understand the law based on its wording in different ways). That is the one part I didn't like about the "Endangerment of a child" statute in this particular case - It appears too subjective, although considering what it is designed to cover that is potentially unavoidable.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Jan 2021, 12:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Well Brictoria emphasised the need for WP members to use "attempted" otherwise we open Alex for legal action.
Actually, the Terms Of Use for Wrong Planet state: "As a registered member, you are held solely and personally responsible for any libelous, defamatory, or slanderous remarks about a person or company made in your posts."

Although, having pointed that out, I'd hazard a guess that most, if not all of what's been said here and elsewhere would be allowable as "free comment" or "opinion".
But I am not a lawyer and, AFAIK, neither is Brictoria.