Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 5:37 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
EzraS wrote:
How can Obama be popular when he doubled the national dept and destroyed healthcare for the working class?
*i* said he was rather popular among millennials (and maybe gen Zers), i said nothing definite about the other older generations.

among other things, that demographic cares more about social issues than national debt and the fact is, we have made some huge progress in the former field during his tenure.

it's true that the working class had employment struggles during his years and that's probably where the bulk of his opposition lies, but many jobs are coming back as well.

clinton doesn't care about the working class. and it looks like trump may go down that same path. despite all his boasting, that sprint deal had nothing to do with him.

obama is the epitome of a mixed bag, and i can see why people who were previously ambivalent about him have since grown to at least, accept him, when they see who is coming into office in under two weeks.
Well its worth pointing out that Obama cut the deficit in half. And in regards to the Affordable Care Act it increased insurance coverage up to 90%. Isn't that worth it even if the working class has to pay more.
Only 90%? Why only 90%? This seems very strange to me, coming from a country that has 100% universal healthcare coverage.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 5:42 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
EzraS wrote:
How can Obama be popular when he doubled the national dept and destroyed healthcare for the working class?
*i* said he was rather popular among millennials (and maybe gen Zers), i said nothing definite about the other older generations.

among other things, that demographic cares more about social issues than national debt and the fact is, we have made some huge progress in the former field during his tenure.

it's true that the working class had employment struggles during his years and that's probably where the bulk of his opposition lies, but many jobs are coming back as well.

clinton doesn't care about the working class. and it looks like trump may go down that same path. despite all his boasting, that sprint deal had nothing to do with him.

obama is the epitome of a mixed bag, and i can see why people who were previously ambivalent about him have since grown to at least, accept him, when they see who is coming into office in under two weeks.
Well its worth pointing out that Obama cut the deficit in half. And in regards to the Affordable Care Act it increased insurance coverage up to 90%. Isn't that worth it even if the working class has to pay more.
Only 90%? Why only 90%? This seems very strange to me, coming from a country that has 100% universal healthcare coverage.
Republican Governorships and legislatures refused to expand the Affordable Care Act into their states.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 3:10 pm

The debt doubled under Obama, but that doesn't mean it's all his fault.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 3:29 pm

We're expected to save and not incur debt.

If we can't save and if we incur debt, it's considered a mark of immaturity.

Why is it acceptable for politicians to run the budget in the manner of an irresponsible teenager with a credit card?

Why do they expect us to budget frugally when they can't?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 11:49 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
He probably would have, Obama is VERY popular right now.

among millennials certainly, they're the ones who support trump the least (on average).

president obama is one of the few constants these last few months, and people tend to latch onto those when things are rough.

but i don't think the older generations feel the same.

He's not very popular among millennials, he's EXTREMELY popular among them. :P The fact is Obama is much more popular than Clinton.

Bush had kept the cost of his Iraqi adventure off the books officially, whereas Obama acknowledged it's reality. Plus, Obama had inherited a devastated economy from Bush.
And he ruined health care for the working class? In fact, millions of people who had been excluded from health care by cost or preexisting condition can see a doctor today.

They're still blaming Bush eh? That often repeated healthcare quote sounds good, but the fact is the majority of the working class had their good healthcare plans taken away from them and had it replaced with something that's pure awful. Huge premiums and astronomically high deductibles. But hey, it allows preexisting conditions and is affordable via subsidy for those who's income is so low, they qualified for free healthcare before Obamacare anyways.

Obamacare could have been tweaked here and there to work. Incidentally, what we today call Obamacare had started out as a Republican plan, thus all the problems with it.

Is the democratic stance one of total blame and zero accountability? Because it sure sounds that way. ACA started with Obama. It was a primary objective and pet project of his, based on his mother's hardships.

No, it was not. It was actually based on the plan Mitt Romney used for Michigan.

Romney had wanted to run as a moderate Republican, but ended up sucking up to his party's far right, which believed letting the poor go without medical care would encourage them to either work harder, or just die and get out of the way.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir but how can they not see the poor will work harder if they're healthy?

You would think so.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 4:23 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:

Why is it acceptable for politicians to run the budget in the manner of an irresponsible teenager with a credit card?

Because it works differently on the macro-level than the micro-level. When people spend rather than save, they actually simulate the economy because it puts more money out there, so it's good for the country as a whole. That's the role the government is in, they aren't saving for themselves, they're spending for the nation.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 4:43 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:

What's also true is that people typically aren't able to work until their basic needs are meet. When they are able to work they stimulate the economy and contribute the business growth.

The US GDP has also been growing steadily since 2009.