Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 9:58 pm

Lintar wrote:
karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
Lintar wrote:
Megumin wrote:
Lintar, have you considered that pricks like yourself might be part of the reason why transpeople are disproportionately at risk of suicide?

This whole thread just makes me f*****g depressed. If transphobic bigotry like this is considered acceptable here, then I guess I don't belong here after all. :(

Supposedly transphobia is against forum rules like sexism and racism are, but the moderators don't seem to care as much about transphobia because they let threads like this go on. I'm sorry you feel that way, but I can understand. There have been comments about women lately that make me feel the same way, like this forum is for straight cisgender autistic males only. Everyone else is fair game for bullying, it would seem.

Bullying? How is one a "bully" for simply pointing out the patently obvious?

You're right about one thing: your ignorance about and contempt of transgender people is patently obvious.

Really? Explain why you believe this, rather than just indulge in lazy ad hominem attacks. Do you think you can manage this?

I don't want to educate you about transgender people. The information is out there, more and more research is being done all the time. You can use google, I assume. I'm not going to hunt down all the evidence to prove to you that being transgender is not a mental illness. I just want you to stop attacking them here. I don't have the energy anymore to argue with hateful people, reason doesn't penetrate their anger and emotional arguments. You don't want to learn about trans people and what is really going on in their bodies, in their brains, you just want to judge and spew hatred and misinformation about them. I'm not going to help you do that by engaging as if you were seeking a genuine discussion.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 11:50 pm

I don't want to educate you about transgender people. The information is out there, more and more research is being done all the time. You can use google, I assume. I'm not going to hunt down all the evidence to prove to you...

In other words, you just can't be bothered, and would rather just hurl insults (because it is just so much easier to do). If you really believed this issue to be important enough, important enough to get all hot and bothered about, then you would gladly welcome an opportunity - any opportunity - to "educate" someone who is apparently misinformed about this issue. See it as a challenge, perhaps, or just an attempt to set someone straight. What is there to lose (apart from time)?

I've gone against the "consensus" on another issue here at W.P. - global warming. The discussion has remained civil, and no one has become upset that I don't believe it to be occurring. They've provided evidence they believe supports their view, and I've done the same. That's how online discussions should be.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 12:32 am

Lintar wrote:
I don't want to educate you about transgender people. The information is out there, more and more research is being done all the time. You can use google, I assume. I'm not going to hunt down all the evidence to prove to you...

In other words, you just can't be bothered, and would rather just hurl insults (because it is just so much easier to do). If you really believed this issue to be important enough, important enough to get all hot and bothered about, then you would gladly welcome an opportunity - any opportunity - to "educate" someone who is apparently misinformed about this issue. See it as a challenge, perhaps, or just an attempt to set someone straight. What is there to lose (apart from time)?

I've gone against the "consensus" on another issue here at W.P. - global warming. The discussion has remained civil, and no one has become upset that I don't believe it to be occurring. They've provided evidence they believe supports their view, and I've done the same. That's how online discussions should be.

I'm not an activist, a social worker, or a teacher. It's not my job to cure you of your ignorance. I just find transphobia unpleasant and would like people not to express it around me, same with racism and homophobia and other forms of bigotry. It's grating and it takes the tone of discussion down into the gutter.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 4:54 am

The issue of transsexuality and mental illness raises some interesting points. Whilst transsexuality is not a mental illness some people are both transsexual and severely mentally ill ,for reasons other than transsexuality.
There are also people who will mistakenly think they are transsexual as a result of an autistic obsession that may pass with time or due to delusional thinking.

To my mind there has to be some way of distinguishing between the genuine transsexuals and the mistaken transsexuals.

It is not just about wanting to change sex but about being able to integrate into society in your chosen gender . Hence the current 2 year rule.

Some unfortunate people whilst being truly transsexual may not be able to satisfy the ability to successfully integrate into society in their chosen gender.
Does abandoning the 2 year rule actually help such people, or are they left with the same social and other difficulties in attempting to live in the gender they prefer?

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2017, 12:22 pm

Drake wrote:
Changing room, bathroom, etc. access should be first and foremost based on sex, not gender. Dicks through one door, vaginas through the other.

Realistically how do you enforce this?

Are you going to have TSA-style bathroom guards whose job is to grope everyone who wants to enter a gender-segregated space?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 8:54 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
Drake wrote:
Changing room, bathroom, etc. access should be first and foremost based on sex, not gender. Dicks through one door, vaginas through the other.

Realistically how do you enforce this?
Are you going to have TSA-style bathroom guards whose job is to grope everyone who wants to enter a gender-segregated space?

It will need to be reported as an allegation to the police by which time the gender reassigned transvestite person will have long vanished into the ether

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 8:57 pm

People use the restroom at work, and some have vile coworkers.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 9:18 pm

I personally don't care either way. I have heard of some people taking advantage of the rules. I don't think it is common enough to actually care about though. I dang judge anyone.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 9:45 pm

Lintar wrote:

I'm not an activist, a social worker, or a teacher. It's not my job to cure you of your ignorance. I just find transphobia unpleasant and would like people not to express it around me, same with racism and homophobia and other forms of bigotry. It's grating and it takes the tone of discussion down into the gutter.

I can't take a non-response like this at all seriously. Your refusal to even consider correcting what you perceive to be errors on my part just demonstrate that you have no case to present, no argument whatsoever. Your ad hominem attacks have already taken things "down into the gutter".

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 9:49 pm

firemonkey wrote:
There are also people who will mistakenly think they are transsexual as a result of an autistic obsession that may pass with time or due to delusional thinking.

Exactly. Delusions are real, people really do suffer from them. It isn't necessarily an insult to simply point that out.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 10:48 pm

Lintar wrote:
Lintar wrote:

I can't take a non-response like this at all seriously. Your refusal to even consider correcting what you perceive to be errors on my part just demonstrate that you have no case to present, no argument whatsoever. Your ad hominem attacks have already taken things "down into the gutter".

If I've made ad hominems against you, report me to the mods.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 8:06 am

Lintar wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Exactly. Delusions are real, people really do suffer from them. It isn't necessarily an insult to simply point that out.

Not all people, by a very long margin, with a desire for a sex change are delusional. The thing is teasing out those who are.

Speaking personally now. For years I would mention my need to change sex to the psychiatrists. At one point I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and disorder of gender identity.

Over time the insistence on wanting a sex change lessened. Had it been delusional obsession that went as I got a little better ? An autistic obsession that passed with time. Or perhaps it was a protective defence mechanism to the fact that with my psych and social problems the go ahead for hormone therapy etc was never going to come. A need to try and cope with the reality of the situation.

The presence of delusions may not be proof that someone is not transsexual though. Person A has delusions which are controlled by medication and when that happens his desire for SRS abates. Person B however has delusions which are controlled by medication but his need for SRS doesn't lessen.

The presence of a psychiatric disorder like schizophrenia doesn't necessarily negate the possibility that the transsexualism is real.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 10:26 am

/\ I've seen, elsewhere, on this site, where you've related this part about yourself----and, I'm so glad you do, because I feel we can learn from you, and I really appreciate your contribution.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 12:18 pm

The transgendered issue is something of a moderating grey area.

It's a fine line between expressing an unpopular opinion and "transphobia."

I'll probably have to try to get in touch with Alex for further guidance. Seeing as how I'm agendered myself, I have to be careful that I'm being objective (or as objective as possible).

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 1:12 am

It feels like normally, saying that a group has lost touch with reality wouldn't cross any lines. The preponderance of psychological evidence nonwithstanding, people who find less common manifestations of gender distasteful will point out the lack of biological markers as evidence.

That folks do the same with autism should make people think twice about using that argument.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 8:08 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
It feels like normally, saying that a group has lost touch with reality wouldn't cross any lines. The preponderance of psychological evidence nonwithstanding, people who find less common manifestations of gender distasteful will point out the lack of biological markers as evidence.

That folks do the same with autism should make people think twice about using that argument.

Are there any "biological markers" associated with autism though? I don't believe that any have been found.