Government considers reforming gender identity rules

Page 6 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 8:24 pm

Lintar wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
It feels like normally, saying that a group has lost touch with reality wouldn't cross any lines. The preponderance of psychological evidence nonwithstanding, people who find less common manifestations of gender distasteful will point out the lack of biological markers as evidence.

That folks do the same with autism should make people think twice about using that argument.

Are there any "biological markers" associated with autism though? I don't believe that any have been found.

That's my point. Autism and gender identity have no biological markers, but they share a preponderance of psychological evidence. One notable and lamentable similarity is in the higher rates of suicide in each group.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 9:36 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Are there any "biological markers" associated with autism though? I don't believe that any have been found.

While there are no "biomarkers" there are "indicators" of biological differences relating to the brain of autistic people Vs nuerotypical and with transgender males Vs males and transgender females Vs females

The current problem is delineating the boundary of geneotype, phenotypical differences, environment, behavior and function, it's still quite fluid

Last edited by cyberdad on 29 Jul 2017, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 9:54 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
It's a fine line between expressing an unpopular opinion and "transphobia."

Yes I had my head bitten off for using the word "trannie". But there is also a fine line between unpopular opinion and knowingly throwing slurs against the "intellectually handicapped"

The moderators seem to drag their feet or even join in when there is support/consensus for the word "ret*d" being acceptable elsewhere on WP? (plenty of users have voiced no concern over its use on WP)

Using the "r-word" as if it's harmless reflects (I suspect) an underlying negative attitude toward fellow autistic people classified as low functioning

This reminds of the LGBT community who are fierce advocates for gay rights but they too find themselves coming to terms with their own phobias against other cultures or people of different backgrounds to themselves

In for a penny in for a pound - if we are going to make rules to (rightly) protect the sensitivity of transgender or gay people then why not also ban the word "ret*d". Please lets not pretend it has some meaning in science anymore or can be harmlessly thrown around in good humor.